Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Guest pseudo07

13 days later...I get the acceptance email! This is almost unreal. I'm lacking in the information department though.

I'm an NB resident and just finished undergrad studies at Queen's in statistics with all of my electives in the life sciences (long story). My GPA was 3.89/4.0 and MCAT scores were:

PS: 11

V: 10

BS: 14

Written: P

Dal was the only school I applied to, for the first time.

• 9 months later...

I'm a Newfoundland and Labrador resident with a B. Eng. (Mechanical) from MUN. I graduated in 2006.

Academics:

GPA: 3.86/4.0

MCAT: 34R - 12(PS) 11(VR) 11(BS) R(WS)

Volunteering: Wide range of areas covering coaching sports, health, tutoring kids and international development. No in-hospital stuff however.

E/C's: Two competitive sports in the past (including one internationally representing Canada). Lots of beer league sports. Auto racing (car design and driving). Ballroom and Hip-Hop dancing.

Professional: Engineer at a research and consulting firm. Member of PEGNL (the engineering governing body in NL). Lots of leadership experience on engineering projects (in school and at work). Work terms in Oil and Gas (NL), Pulp and Paper (NB), Mining (up North) and Hydro Power (NL). No published research.

This is my first time applying to Dal. I also applied to MUN (Accepted), Queen's (Accepted but declining) and U of C (no luck). I'll be going to MUN in the fall.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thought I'd put in some more stats for this year's hopefuls.

I found out at the start of May that I've been deferred and am now looking forward to hearing in the next couple of weeks! I'm a NS resident and a proud new owner of a BSc (Hons) in Microbiology from Dal.

MCAT: 12 (PS) - 12 (VR) - 13 (BS) - P (WS) - 37P

GPA: Approx. 3.7/4.0 for the last 2 years (using the OMSAS conversion).

ECs: Volunteering at IWK for 7 years, volunteering for CCS (Canadian Cancer Society) for 5 years, Dal society sports rep, Dal society VP-Undergrad and Communications officer.

References probably pretty tight; interview made me cry on the inside.

This is the first time I've applied for med, Dal is my first (and only!) choice.

Good luck to all you who are also in limbo (be it deferred, waitlisted or haven't heard anything yet)!

Cheers,

MM

Here are my stats. I'm 29 (for the next few weeks anyways). I recieved my acceptance from Dalhousie on Friday, June 1st. I applied to several Ontario schools, but did not recieve an interview (no surprises there though).

My first degree was in microbiology and immunology from McGill (1999).

After that I went to ITI (computer college), which lead to a 4 year career in software development.

In the fall of 2005 I returned to school to study Neuroscience at Dalhousie with the goal of medicine in mind. I wrote the MCAT the same summer (before taking organic chemistry - which I don't necessarily recommend)

MCAT 29R - 10PS, 10VR, 9BS, R

GPA for past 2 years - 3.7

GPA 1st undergrad 2.34

I had a variety of E/C's and volunteer work, including hospital and student societies. One society I strongly recommend getting involved with, or at least using as a resourse is the Dalhousie Premedical Student Society (premed@dal.ca). Send me a private message if you would like any information about that society!

As a side note, I did speak to the admissions office on Wednesday afternoon and was informed that the acceptance/waitlist letters would be going out by the end the week. I was surprised to get anything by Friday, as even most mail that is sent on Thursday won't always make it by the weekend. With that in mind, I wish everyone still waiting all the best!

Good luck!

I just received my acceptance letter yesterday (June 1) and I am stoked. The letter was dated May 30. I'm 29 years old and a resident of PEI. This was my second time applying to dal. I also applied to Ottawa, UofT and Mac with no interview and am currently waitlisted at MUN.

B.Sc (math) 2000

M.Math 2002

MBA 2003

MCAT 24Q - 7PS, 9VR, 8BS (here is a little hope for all us people with a less than stellar MCAT)

Undergrad GPA 3.8

Graduate GPA 3.6

Good luck to all who are still waiting to hear.

I'm a Maritime applicant living in Halifax and still haven't heard anything, so considering the acceptance and waitlist letters were sent Wednesday, that pretty much confirms a rejection letter is on its way. :(

This was my second time applying. My gpa is 3.78. My MCAT is pretty awful: VR 9, BS 9, PS 8, WS N. I have decent volunteer experience, although my references are not from volunteering. I thought the interview went well. What do any of the moderators think? Should I bother reapplying? Need to rewrite the MCAT? I'm seriously contemplating Australia or the Caribbean, maybe Ireland. I would be happy to elaborate on the volunteer stuff and work experience by email. I refuse to give up on medicine, just not sure how I should get there. Please tell me what you think!

Hey everyone, I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today. I was deferred in early March from I can remember (don't have the old e-mail). I had strong academics, average MCAT for Dal, and EC's including hospital volunteering, including medical research. NB resident and a recent graduate, first time applying. I have also been accepted at Ottawa U, and I'm leaning towards that, but I don't know what to do!

Just received my letter today. This is my 2nd time applying to this school. I have a degree in Health Sciences (Cytology) from Dal:

Undergrad (last 4 years): 3.78/4.3

MCAT: 8 PS 11 VR 10BS Q

Various EC's nothing overly impressive (but was my highest score on the feedback provided in the letter). I am impressed that they gave us this info this year.

I'm going to re-write the MCAT and apply to different schools next year.

GOOD LUCK TO THOSE STILL WAITING!

I received my rejection letter today. I am a NS resident.

I have a BSc and MHI degrees. Undergrad marks not stellar, grad school grades are pretty good though.

I had a 26P MCAT score which I will be re-writing in August.

I bunch of ECs, medically related work & volunteer work.

I will be applying again next year.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Hi all,

I got my letter today that I have been accepted to the class of 2011. My stats are a couple of posts above (if you're interested) and I must say I'm tickled pink. Best of luck to everyone else who still hasn't heard and I look forward to seeing some of you in the fall.

Rock on,

MM

I am 4th on the NS waitlist

I received my letter yesterday. This is my 3rd time applying to Dal. I have an honours degree in Biology

Undergrad GPA: 3.79/4.0 on the OMSAS scale

MCAT: 11PS 11VR 10BS N (32N)

ECs include 3 mid length volunteer projects in Latin America and Asia, hospital volunteering, coaching high school sports, anwsering calls at a crisis line, university clubs, playing in a wind ensemble, several academic scholarships, I also worked multiple jobs during the school year.

I'm going with 3 strikes and you're out, so if I don't get off the wailist I don't think I'll be re-applying (at least for several years). I am also applying to the RCMP, perhaps I will fair better there.

I am 4th on the NS waitlist

I received my letter yesterday. This is my 3rd time applying to Dal. I have an honours degree in Biology

Undergrad GPA: 3.79/4.0 on the OMSAS scale

MCAT: 11PS 11VR 10BS N (32N)

ECs include 3 mid length volunteer projects in Latin America and Asia, hospital volunteering, coaching high school sports, anwsering calls at a crisis line, university clubs, playing in a wind ensemble, several academic scholarships, I also worked multiple jobs during the school year.

I'm going with 3 strikes and you're out, so if I don't get off the wailist I don't think I'll be re-applying (at least for several years). I am also applying to the RCMP, perhaps I will fair better there.

Pool Rat, you're so close. Hang in there! I'm sure your chance of getting in is very, very good.

This is my 3rd time applying too, and it's definitely frustrating (as I too am on the waitlist), but I'm sure it'll be very worth it!

As my friends have (repeatedly) told me, 3rd time is the charm!

Hey all,

My letter reached PEI today; unless my dad has a really twisted sense of humour, I'm #1 on the waitlist. I'm also a second time applicant, a lab tech at dalhousie, and the happiest boy in halifax. I also applied to MUN, but no dice, so I'm sorta leaning toward Dal. My stats are:

BSc. (Hon) from UNB, 2006: 4.0 GPA

MCAT: 8PS, 13VR, 11BS, P

ECs: nothing phenomenal; some hospital volunteering, coached a basketball team, VERY limited student government, currently tutoring adult learners at the QEII

On a completely unrelated note, I'd just like to point out to any Islanders with acceptance letters that Dalhousie is haunted. Tons of ghosts. Just FYI.

Anyway, good luck to everyone still waiting; I'm really hoping to see some of you in the fall.

I received my acceptance letter today in the mail (but it was dated May 31st). I’m ecstatic! Still in a bit of shock though...

Stats:

I am an NB applicant, with a BSc. In coop biochem./biotech/psych.

29O mcat- PS11, BS10 and 8

Tons of volunteer experience and leadership positions (broad range)

Lots of research experience.

Also, I just wanted to say thanks to all those who posted on this site, it has been very helpful, so thank you!

And to those still waiting to hear, do not give up hope. This process is so grueling but just don’t give up! Best wishes to those who are still waiting…

I had been in NS for 5 years. Scored decent on the ranking sheet with a 75 but they say the average for acceptances have been 84 for the last few years.

GPA last two years, 3.76, MCAT BS:11, PS:10, VR:12 O

Lowest ranks were interview 17/25 and Academics 20/30.

No easy way to attain or surpass 84 from this sheet. Maybe a couple of years of increasing these things or.....something else. I would hate to write the MCAT a second time and score lower.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Picked up my letter today and found out that I am waitlisted at #2 for NB.

Last two years of my undergrad: 3.7/4.1

MCAT: 11, 11, 11

ECs: Lots...including research, hospital volunteering, student government, sports

Interview: Went well from my perspective

Good luck everyone!

I was just accepted today. See everyone in the fall!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm an OOP accepted off the waitlist, #12

BSc. Honors Neuroscience

GPA (cum from OSAS) 3.61

GPA (last two years) ~3.8

MCAT: Bs-10, PS-12, VR 11 S

ECs: 20 month research experience (no papers unfortuantely), university choirs, intramural sports, minimal hospital volunteering, decent amounts of community work, diversified work experience.

Interview: Went ok but not great.