Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Hi everyone. I really liked that thread started last year for applicants stating their scores and their status. Since the first round of acceptances/rejections will be mailed out next week I thought I would start a similar thread for this round of admissions. So please state the following:

I was: (accepted/rejected/waitlisted/deferred)

My GPA was: (please use the OMSAS scale to keep it standard

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf)

My MCAT was: ( X VR X PS X BS X WS)

Resume/Application highlights: (can include anything [i.e. volunteer, extracurricular, research, work])

I am an: Out of Province applicant or a Maritime Applicant (stating what maritime province might be useful too)

I felt my interview was:

I am hoping this thread will give us all a better idea of where we stand when we're waiting for that letter. Maybe it'll make the wait more bearable. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I guess I was one of the lucky few to hear early. I was accepted! Good luck to all those still waiting!

For those interested, I ll give a quick run down of my pertinent stats.

In province applicant

Masters in Physiology (in progress) GPA: 3.9ish

BSc Biology / Biotech GPA: 3.8 ish

MCAT: 12 V 12 P 11 B O WS

ECs: Lots of volunteering in hospitals (4 years, numerous positions), president of a couple school societies, intramural sports etc...

Interview: Haven't really heard of any horrible experiences to compare against, but mine was fun... my partner and I managed to draw 5 of the drawings... Woohoo.

Research: 3 years now full time in a lab... pseudo-health related, but basic science. I've got a couple publications (3rd author stuff) and a few presentations / conferences.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the Fall! Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted...and still in shock!

My GPA was: 3.7/4.0. Bachelor of Science.

My MCAT was: 29O ( 10VR/8PS/11BS/O)

Resume/application highlights: several years of management/business experience, volunteering with local physicians in family practice and emergency and volunteering in palliative settings,geriatric convalescent and long term care, Canadian Cancer Society etc.

I am a: PEI applicant

I felt my interview: Felt good. I really like the MMI format and think it is a much friendlier and less stressful format.

Good luck everyone.

Deferred, I got it today after receiving a false e-mail yesterday saying a letter was in the mail.

3.85 ish/4.0

26Q eek

volunteer in ER (6 months) and patient visiting (1 year), group home for adults for 1 hour/week for four years.

in prov (NS)

BSc Chem done, research and publications, working in a lab at the moment

good interview I think???

first time applying

It's the highly controversial MedProspect08 once again...sorry for the drama everyone, it was truly unusual circumstances in my case...no special treatment.

I just received my acceptance letter and I was given ~3 weeks to pay the deposit.

GPA: 3.85/4

MCAT: 31Q

Lots of ECs including a recent medal at the national level in athletics.

3 years research, INT'L volunteering for a couple months (PM me if you want info on a great volunteer program in Brazil).

Interview: Like most people, I felt pretty good considering it was my first MMI...although a few stations were ugly.

Good luck to everyone still waiting...this is my second year applying to Dal and my application score went way up from last year. So don't give up!

MP08

I was: accepted

My GPA was: 3.98 (I'm in 3rd year)

My MCAT was: 10 VR 13 PS 12 BS N WS

Resume/Application highlights: full scholarships, research/work in a lab (but no publications), a lot of volunteering (childrens hospital, food bank, fraternity president, swimming instructor, was on students' council)

I am an: Nova Socitan

I felt my interview was: The first two stations sucked for me, but the other ones were better than average I felt, so I'm sure that balanced it out

I received my letter today!

I was accepted finally! This was my 3rd time applying. I'm over the moon right now.

I have and undergrad degree in Biology and Computer Science with a mediocre GPA about 3.4+ ish for my last 2 years of that. I also have a graduate degree in Health Informatics with a 4.0+ ish GPA (if there was a GPA in grad school) it was a mostly course based program.

I know from last year when I received my rejection that Dal combined these 2 GPAs to give me a 3.7 for the actual scoring so I would assume it would have been the same this year.

MCAT (newest & best): 10 PS, 12 VR, 9 BS, P WS

I think I have a lot of ECs. I've worked for a long time in Search and Rescue with the Coast Guard, and I've been working for the best year as a Research Assistant for a Nephrologist here in Halifax. I have volunteered for 4 or 5 years with Meal assistance at the local hospital and a few years with the Cardiac Rehab program. I also volunteer with St. John Ambulance and some other random stuff. I've been teaching lifeguarding and first aid for many years as well. I won't bore you with any more details.

I think my interview this year went awesome. I was so excited after the MMI , I thought it was a lot of fun.

I'm from Nova Scotia also.

I can't wait to meet everyone in August.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and for those of you who haven't gotten in this year, keep trying. 3rd time was a charm for me :)

Hey...I was just accepted and I figured I'd help everyone out and post some stats. I am incredibly excited...didn't think this day would come sometimes.

MCAT: 25R - wrote it after 2nd year and didn't have time to write again.

GPA: 3.93-BSc Chemistry

4th year undergrad...first time applying. Applied other places but won't know until May

InProvince

Good luck to everyone still waiting and Congrats to everyone who got in!! Is there a group for Dal students of 2012 anywhere?

Thanks!

My GPA was: 3.97 (Bachelor of Health Sciences)

My MCAT was: 9 VR, 10 PS, 8 BS, S WS

Resume/Application highlights: 3 years of work at a Hospice, hospital emergency room/geriatrics volunteer, various music groups, church stuff, cadets, unversity societies including 3 years in an executive position, other random volunteer projects. My major is a health care specialty, so I guess that helps with health-related experience too.

I am an: New Brunswicker

I felt my interview was: Fun and seemed to go well. I really liked the MMI format.

Now, I need to make a decision. Oh well, no pressure for my McMaster interview this weekend. :)

I was accepted

GPA 4.0 (out of 4.0)

MCAT 10/10/10 and P

Not many extracurriculars, but I have worked in a hospital as a respiratory therapist for three years, have various academic awards including the highest mark in Canada for our national registry exam

First time applying

I felt my interview went well, but of course started to doubt myself afterwards!! :P

YAY! Accepted

I'm graduating with an honours by thesis in BioChem in May.

4.24 (4.3 scale)

MCAT: PS 10 BS 10 VR 7 (ouch) N (ouch again) I worked all summer and didn't study very effectively. I just bought a Kaplan study guide and read it cover to cover.

I played Varsity volleyball for 4 years, volunteered on Peds for 2 years, coached volleyball and basketball for 8 years, various outreach programs through being a varsity athlete, part of the Varsity athlete council (was the Secretary last year and the President this year), various academic awards.

My first time applying.

Felt the interview went well. Of course a couple stations were brutal but overall I thought it was fun.

Good luck to everyone!!

Hi everyone,

It looks like only those with the Golden Ticket have taken the time to post their status, so I thought I would be the first to break the mold!

I was: Scored/Deferred

My GPA was: 3.7

My MCAT was: 9 VR 11 PS 11 BS P WS = 31P

Resume/Application highlights: honours research in evo-devo stuff, full-time summer employment in ER & Cancer Treatment Centre, lots of volunteer experience in and out of health care settings, amateur marathoner/triathlete, personal health experience, snappy dresser

I am a: PEI applicant

I felt my interview was: Good - I felt I did really well on the more personal stations (i.e., where we were given obvious openings to talk about ourselves and let our personalities come through). Like a lot of people, though, I can't help but second-guess myself on a few of the other stations.

A deferral is certainly better than a rejection at this point in the game but May 15th feels like a long way away, right now. It's hard to be optimistic with only 6 Island seats, but it's nice to know that the adcom likes me at least a little! Fingers crossed! Any other deferred or rejected out there?

Any other deferred or rejected out there?

Hi Dr Dave,

I was defered about a month ago, my stats are about the same as you, my GPA is a but higher and MCAT lower. I have some volunteering at the hospital (ped dept), some w/ Canadian Cancer Society, some tutoring. I've been a TA for 2 years and have tutoring here and there during those years too. I worked throughout my bachlors & have a couple more sporatic acitivities here and there, and I have all my summer jobs in there too. I'm finishing my masters (in cancer resaearch) this year. First time applying to Dal. Good luck to you :D

Accepted!!!

GPA 3.74 (Undergrad); 3.8 (Grad)

MCAT 10 PS 10 BS 12 VR R WS = 32R

A variety of extracurriculars and volunteering, research, workshop attendance, etc.

First time applying, I am a Nova Scotian applicant, and I thought the MMI went well and was even fun (I have one at Mac on Saturday that I still plan to attend.).

• 4 weeks later...

So my dad just called me and let me know I was rejected. It was my first time applying so I kind of expected it. But here are my stats:

I'm an in province student, from NS

My GPA was apparently 3.6, I always thought it was 3.7. Apparently the OMSAS scale is mean when converting percentages.

My MCAT: 30 30 30 O.

Extracurriculars: Tons, worked/volunteered all through high school/uni. I did the whole volunteer at a hospital for a summer. I ski patrolled (where I delivered emergency first aid) for 2 winters.

I felt my interview was good and actually pretty fun.

The letter told me that my interview was average and my GPA was below average. Do you think that rewriting the MCAT and getting a high school will make up for my low GPA in the next round??

I got an e-mail this morning at around 10:30 am Atlantic time. A letter apparently arrived at my parents' place this afternoon.

My GPA was (when applying): 3.58, but 3.68 during my last two full years of study.

My MCAT was: 8 VR (kept me out of a lot of schools) 12 PS 12 BS Q WS

Resume/Application highlights: A summer job at training centre for mentally handicapped adults, a summer of research, nearly a year of volunteering at an ER, and a year of mentoring (Big bros, Big sises). I also am a member of two varsity sports teams at school and am pursuing honors.

I am a: Bluenoser

I felt my interview was: Really fun, though I felt like I really f-ed up at one point.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should contribute to the point of this thread:

I am on OOP student, but I went to Dal for my undergrad (Kinesiology).

I was waitlisted (#14).

My GPA in the last 2 years was 3.78 (4-year total was 3.5)

MCAT was 34Q (11VR/11BS/12PS)

Resume: Year of working at NS Rehab Centre outpatient program, led a group of kin students working in local elementary schools to increase physical activity, different clubs (CANFAR, WUSC), 2 years of varsity sports, TA in 4th year.

Research: 2 papers submitted at application time, 1 has since been accepted, 1 pending; 2 national/international scientific papers awards with chance to give oral presentations at both conferences; currently finishing a masters thesis in adapted physical activity, in Belgium.

Interview: I thought went really well, but tough to tell with MMI.