Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

NB Resident, 1st time applying!

Graduating this year with BSc major in biology, minors in math and anthropology

GPA: 4.05/4.3 (3.88 OMSAS I think)

MCAT: P9/B10/VR11/O

ECs: Some international hospital volunteering, traveling, leadership stuff in university clubs etc

Interviewed at Dal and Memorial, accepted at Dal and waitlisted at Memorial. Dal is my first choice.

:)

NB Resident- waitlisted #12

Graduating from BSc Dal

cGPA: 3.9

MCAT: 33O - P11/B12/VR10

ECs: hospital volunteer work, three summers of research, society involvement, etc.

I'm still waiting from a school tomorrow. Here's to hoping the waitlist will move more than usual.

Best of luck everyone!

Applicant for Sept. 2009 Entry, Dalhousie University: Accepted

- - - -

I'm a NB resident in undergraduate studies. My cGPA was 4.1 on a scale of 4.3and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: T

This was the 1st time I wrote the MCAT.

Interview Feeling/experience: The majority of stations went well- I only felt I did poorly on one of them (read: bombed out). Overall, it was a good experience- I enjoyed the MMI deal more than a trady interview.

This is my first time applying to this school.

- Premed Guy

Applicant for Sept. 2009 Entry, Dalhousie University: Accepted

- - - -

I'm a NB resident in undergraduate studies. My cGPA was 4.0 on a scale of 4.3and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 7

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: S

This was the 2st time I wrote the MCAT.

Interview Feeling/experience: I honestly did not feel that I had done as well as last year (and I was waitlisted). I had a few that went very well, a few that I wish I had said certain things, and then one I totally bombed. All worked out however. Hard work does EVENTUALLY pay off.

I am waitlisted at MUN and DAL is my first choice!

This is my second time applying.

I'm a NB resident, graduated May 2008 with Honours in Bio and minor in Chem from UNBSJ. My cGPA was a 4.1 on a scale of 4.3, MCAT scores:

PS: 9

Verbal: 10

BS: 8

Written: O

I wrote the MCAT two summers ago, and never re-wrote.

Interview Feeling/experience: The majority of stations went well, although were definitely a few that I did not enjoy. I like the MMI much more than a traditional interview in general.

This was my second time applying to Dal. Waitlisted at MUN, Ottawa - will be declining soon to definitely attend Dal in the fall :).

I'm a Nova Scotia resident and I found out yesterday that I'm wait listed #12.

I'm wondering if anyone else from NS has been wait listed? Have you received acceptances from other schools? Do you know what your plans are?

Also, does anyone know how far into the wait list Dal Med usually goes?

I received my acceptance letter today and will be accepting the offer.

NS Resident

BSc. - Chemistry Honours

cGPA: 3.89

GPA from last two years: 3.80

MCAT: 30S (10, 10, 10)

ECs: Research for last three summers, 2 publications, NSERC Research Grant for 2 summers, Student Union - several roles each year, Hospital Volunteer for 3 years, Special Olympics, Theatre, International Volunteering, Resident Assistant for a year etc. I have also received alot of academic and extra-curricular awards.

Interview: I felt great after my interview. I did struggle with one station, but the rest went very well. Then again, it's tough to tell what they think of your answers. I knew that many applicants would have higher GPAs and MCAT scores than myself so I really focused on doing well on the interview. Forty percent is a helluva alot ha!

This was my first time applying.

Applied: Dalhousie, University of Toronto, McMaster

Interviewed: Dalhousie, U of T

Accepted: Dalhousie

I will be accepting Dalhousie's offer and continuing to rock out in the Maritimes.

Best of luck to all of you and I look forward to meeting some of you in the fall.

Cheers.

Found out I was accepted by Dal on Friday :)

I'm an NS resident and graduated May 2008 with a BSc Hon. from Dal.

cGPA: 3.88/4.3

GPA from last 2 yrs: 3.86/4.0

MCAT: 24Q (9,8,7)

To support what TurkeyLocoGuacamole said, it is definitely possible to compensate for a lowly MCAT score! Don't let a number hold you back.

ECs: Hospital volunteering for 5-6 years, youth soccer coach 4 years, some research, athletics, Capital Health (NS) employment, school society involvement, some awards, etc.

Interview: I really enjoyed the MMI and actually had a lot of fun! There were one or two stations where I thought I did badly, but overall it was a very positive experience.

This was my first time applying to Dal.

Best of luck to those still waiting!

I'm a NS resident just finished my BSc in Neuroscience (no honours). My GPA was 3.85/4.0 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 14

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: P

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying to this school.

EC's varsity athlete for the past four years, coaching, exercise assistant in the mental health day treatment program, varsity council member, volunteer in the health science education center (teaches laproscopic surgery stuff to med students/residents), TAing, NSERC and academic scholarships.

Interview first two stations were not so good (I was really nervous), but all the other stations went awesome (m

y third interviewer was amazing and it really helped me to relax).

I had applied to a bunch of schools in Ontario but didn't even get an interview so I'm assuming my GPA wasn't high enough or it was because I didn't have honours or my writing sample score wasn't high enough, so DAL is my first choice (eff those Ontario schools lol).

Good luck to everyone, looking forward to the fall!

I am a NS resident just finishing my MSc. Just got my letter today.

cGPA: 3.60

Best/last 2 years: 3.90

MCAT: 33R (P:11, V:11, B:11)

EC's: varsity athletics for 5 years, president of the chemistry undergraduate society, multiple leadership awards, TA, volunteering long-term care unit of a hospital.

Interview: It was my first MMI and I thought it went pretty well but evidently it did not!

I was hoping to get back to N.S. but I guess it will have to wait for residency. I was waitlisted at Western and accepted at Queen's. I will be attending Queen's! Best of luck everyone.

NS resident just finished BscH with honours in biology - first time applying

cGPA - 3.65

2 year GPA- 3.79

MCAT - 27M -(10Bs, 9Ps, 8VR)

Ec's = 5 years volunteer fire fighting, 2 years hospital volunteering, 1 year internal organization president, 2 years coaching rugby, 2 years university rugby Div 1 captain (1 year MVP), international rugby experience, relay for life exec 2 years, university public health rep, TA, children with disability work, cardiac rehab, ambulance ride alongs, ect...

MMI - great time...enjoyed all but one station...thanks again to Dalhousie Med Students for all their help.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting, congrats to those accepted, and keep trying otherwise.

I already posted my stats earlier in the thread. Just wanted to let any PEI applicants know that your waitlist will be moving at least one spot as I will be declining my acceptance to go to Queen's.

Best of luck to everyone on the waitlists - cheers.

So my letter went to my parents place in NS today. Got a nice little rejection over the phone, 2nd year in a row.....my ego hurts

GPA ~3.6, graduated with an honours B.Sc two years ago.

MCAT 30O first time after 2nd year, wrote it again this summer, 28R (I blame the lower score on a mixture of unwarranted cockiness and working two jobs at the same time)

Extracurricular- Had part time jobs from grade 11 onward. Played lots of intramural sports, one summer lab research, have been working in clinical research full time for 1.5 years, one summer hospital volunteering, lots of other random volunteer and extracurricular activities.

I have decided that I apparently am not meant to be a doctor and will not be applying for round 3. Now to figure out what I am meant to do...

cGPA: 3.75

2 yrGPA: 3.83 for this cycle but after my 5th year is 3.91 (note that 5th years are a very good idea)

MCAT: 9, 10, 11 R

Time to bump up the MCAT score. A 30 just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm with you w8kg6 in thinking about a Master's. I would rather do anything than work in a lab though and there doesn't seem to be any course based Master's relevant to medicine.

Hey, I got my letter a few days ago, but I've been too busy figuring out my next steps to post, heh. I've been watilisted at number 11 for the NB pool. First off, the standard stats:

First undergrad: BScKin (3.6 OMSAS Best 2 years, graduated 1 year early)

Second undergrad: BSc Chem Eng, Biomedical Option (Just finished first year, GPA was not used for Dal)

In both undergrads, I had a huge course load (average 7 classes per semester, some as high as 9).

MCAT: First Attempt, 10-8-10-S, Second Attempt 10-10-11-S

ECs: 2 years varsity athletics, canada games athlete, 2 years hospital volunteering experience (working directly with children in peds ward), 1 year special olympics coach, 1 year vice president of engineers without borders, 6 months job shadowing with physician, regular small things (orientation committee etc.)

Work experience: Pulp mill summer student (not very relevant, but just for posterity's sake), summer kayaking guide, housekeeping crew at Panorama Mountain Village (basically a cleaning lady), online tutor (25 hrs/week during the schoolyear, did this for 2.5 years).

Interview Experience: Some stations good, some stations excellent, no stations awful. One of my interviewers stopped the interview about 3 minutes in, said he had seen all he needed to see, and started to tell me about the program they had to offer at Dal.

Frankly, I'm not 100% sure where the bottom fell out. It looks like I'm going to end up being 4th or 5th alternate by the time summer's end rolls around... so right at the top of the people who will ultimately be rejected.

EDIT: I figured I'd update this and say that I wound up at 4th on the WL officially (even though there were 2 more who went to MUN instead, so it was really position 2, heh). For those checking this thread in the future, the NB pool moved 7 spots in total (but SJ campus should make this number substantially larger for the class of 2014).

NB Resident

GPA: 3.85/4.00

MCAT: PS,VR,BS,W - 10,11,13,Q - 34Q

Autobiographical Sketch - Volunteering, some fun and interesting jobs, extracurricular activities, involvement in the arts, nothing out of the ordinary really.

Interviewed: Memorial, Dalhousie, Queen's, Western, U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

Waitlisted: Queens

Accepted: Memorial, Dalhousie, Western (London Campus), U of Toronto, U of Alberta, U of Calgary

I will be accepting Western.

• 4 weeks later...

I hesitated in posting this, as I was afraid of freakish last minute jinxes, but it is official now: I have my posting message in hand and a DalMedix account.

I'm an Ontario resident, first degree in Mech Eng (3.01 GPA) went back to school for a BA, most recent two years GPA is 3.74. My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Written Sample: N

I was accepted by Dalhousie as an MMTP candidate. This is my second time applying. I got shot down pre-interview by the 7 other schools I applied to (A heartfelt thank you to Dal's most recent two years rule and lack of WS cutoff).

Overall, I felt the MMI went well. I enjoyed some stations and waited for the buzzer at others.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in August!

• 2 weeks later...

#5 on the NS Waitlist

GPA: 3.7/4.0 with a Bachelor of Business Administration (Finance & Accounting focus) 3.9/4.0 as a non-degree student in sciences

MCAT: 24R

Extra Curricular/Volunteering: Lots of recreational sports, volunteered at a sexual health clinic, co-chaired RFL, worked with sick kids, lots of fundraising, volunteered in Africa ... the list goes on

Work experience: I've worked at a gym, in retail, harvested, was a TA for two years, did data entry, summer research jobs, bartended, worked as an admin assistant ... you name it!

I have very little research experience and have never published.

I felt my interview was great!! One of the questions I could have faired better on but overall I felt really good about it!!

• 4 weeks later...

First time poster long time reader...this site is a great resource!

Just paid my confirmation fee and mailed my confirmation letter...

I am a Nova Scotia Resident. I recently graduated with a BScH in Biology and Kinesiology. My GPA was 3.8/4.0 my MCAT scores were:

PS: 9

V: 8

BS: 9

WS: Q

For a grand total of 26Q.

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my first time applying.

Supplemental: Lots. Varsity athlete, research, , involvement in various community initiatives with children and youth with social, cognitive and physical challenges, various coaching and sport involvement at various levels, etc...

Interview: Thought it went really well.

I might as well explain the story behind my acceptance (I think it's a good one)...I am not coming off the waitlist, I actually received a rejection letter a couple of months ago. Like most I then proceeded to have my phone interview with Dr. Sutton to review my application, booked a date to rewrite my MCAT and began to study diligently. Two weeks after my interview with Dr. Sutton and about 6 weeks into MCAT studying I received an email from Ms. Teed at work asking me to call Dr. Sutton to “further discuss my application.” I walked to the building next to the one where I work to use the pay phone in their lobby. Dr. Sutton informed me that after my phone interview with her she had looked at my overall score on my file and thought it was a little high for me not to have made the waitlist, so, she proceeded to send my application back to the admissions committee to investigate and go on vacation for two weeks. Upon her return she got the results of the investigation. It turns out that a clerical error had occurred in the transfer of my GPA into the computer to generate overall scores...a GPA of 3.3 had been input instead of 3.8. With my correct GPA my score actually increased to a value that not only warranted making the waitlist but warranted me receiving an acceptance letter in the first place waaay back when they first came out! Dr. Sutton then proceeded to offer me a seat with the class of 2013! I think the people walking by the pay phone I was using thought I was going crazy hahaha. Anyway...the last week has been nuts, rearranging my life, looking for a place to live annnd cancelling my MCAT!!

Moral of the story: When given an opportunity to review your application DO IT!

• 5 months later...

Hey, I just realized that I've never posted my 2008 interview experience. Sorry to those of you who got excited when you saw there was a new post in this thread, but it's just some old fart trying to make sure he adds as much to this thread as possible :P.

2008 INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE (My stats have changed considerably since 2008, but here is what they were when I first applied)

Residency Status: IP (New Brunswick)

MCAT: 10-8-10-S

GPA: most recent 2 years: 3.6 OMSAS (graduated a year early from BScKin... I probably should have just stuck around for another year and picked up the 3.8ish)

ECs: At this point, my main ECs were two years varsity athlete, Canada Games Swimmer, 8 months hospital volunteer, 6 months physician shadowing, 8 months special olympics swimming coach.

Outcome: Rejected post interview

Interview Experience: Well, this was definitely my downfall. I was ridiculously under-prepared, and I didn't do any research besides briefly skim over the Dal website. Although my interviewers found me to be personable, they thought my answers were overly simple and didn't address all aspects of the prompt (looking back, I would definitely agree with them). From what I remember of my feedback session, my main weaknesses were interview and MCAT (I was surprised to hear about that last one). My assessment scores ranged from 57 to 62, and I think that waitlist started at 69 (but I'd say I'm only about 30% sure on that part).

Ok, there it is. Better late than never I guess. I've since started a second degree (Chemical Engineering) and have beefed up my ECs, as well as rewritten the MCAT. I officially made it to number 4 on the waitlist last year (unofficially number 2), so hopefully this is the year I get in :P. Fingers crossed until March 15.

• 2 months later...

Applicant for Sept. 2010 Entry, Dalhousie University: Accepted

- - - -

I'm a NB resident in the "previous academic work" category. My cGPA was 3.6 on a scale of 4.3 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 10

Written Sample: R (i think..)

This was the 2nd time I wrote the MCAT.

I had lots of ECs.

Interview Feeling/experience: I felt like I bombed my interview :o