Premed 101 Forums

IP Waitlist

Oslo

Hey all,

Like many of you, I got waitlisted at McGill. I just called the admission's office to see whether I am in the lower half/upper half, but they said they do not release any info concerning the waitlist. I also asked the admission officer how many candidates are waitlisted and got no answer. Please share you thoughts, comments, updates on the IP waitlist. Also, feel free to share any info from previous years in this thread. I have looked at the archives of the forum, and apparently 5 people got in from the waitlist in 2002-2003.

Anyways, best of luck for you all.

Oslo

unfortunately, being on the IP waitlist isn't a great place to be. The reality is that most of the accepted IP applicants accept their spot and study at McGill for a number of reasons: low tuition, great reputation, great city, etc...

The waitlist won't start moving until late May/early June when the Ontario acceptances become firm.

Although the stats aren't in your favor, don't give up hope. You may just be at the top of the list and might get a call. do your best on your finals to keep you gpa up in case you need to reapply next year and try to think of what on your application could be improved for next year. good luck and maybe you'll be joining on 2012 class in august

I think the deal with waitlist is that around 5 max get in, or so I see from previous years. It makes sense to have 25 on waitlist, 1/3 of size of class, so chances are 20%, pretty low, but... It seems though that chances are good of getting in next year, so I am thinking ahead to that.

I got in off the IP waitlist. I think generally 4-8 people get in off that list, so you gotta be lucky. If you are high up on the list, you'll only get a call some time from late May to mid June.

My suggestion is that you think about what you wanna do to get in next year and start working on your plan B in, say, June (i.e. apply to Master's, study for MCAT, go to Uganada... whatever it is you should do).

Again, quite a few people get in off the waitlist, so don't worry too much.

I am sure the interview has a huge impact. Does anyone (from previous years) know how many candidates are waitlisted every year? I know at least three candidates who got waitlisted, but I have not heard this year of anyone who got rejected post-interview. My feeling is that they put a large number of candidates on the wait list (say 40-50) and they take only 4 or 5 at the end.

Archived