Premed 101 Forums

If the gov't is so concerned about the FP shortage...

And lets not forget when you kids go through your ER rotations at the academic hospitals your risk of getting TB that is resitant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan

Jonathan Guss

Chief Executive Officer

Ontario Medical Association

Dear Mr. Guss,

Thanks for your reply. The late Dr. Yanga died of SARS, not TB. The problem is that if eiher you or I developed multiple drug resistant tb and were incarcerated in Westpark, YOU would receive your salary, but my colleagues and I would not (non-salaried). It is difficult to get private insurance after a certain age. Private disability insurance often stops in the "70's". Many doctors are working who are in that age group. In general, we have to concentrate on Occupational disease and death, which should be covered by Government, such as firemen, police, nurses, etc. As a group, many doctors are extremely and justifiably concerned that they would leave their families penniless if they were to develop mutiple resistant TB. Again, see the warning in this week's BMJ. OMA should co-operate with WSIB for free WSIB coverage for all Ontario doctors (similar to all other "workers"). This issue is of great concern to an increasing number of physicians, especially those of us who are in contact with new immigrants.

In summary, It would be quite simple for the OMA to arrange with the WSIB to have "occupational disease and death coverage" for all OMA members.

As a very concerned and growing number of physicians, we are looking forward to OMA's reponse to the need to protect the welfare of our families and ourselves.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyhow, even if someone will receive a pension through their job, they still have to make contributions over their entire work life - these things don't pay for themselves.

Yes, employees do make contributions to their pensions. However, their employer makes a significant contribution to this. At my old job my employer contributed alot more to my pension than I did. I will not receive these kinds of benefits as an MD.

Yes, employees do make contributions to their pensions. However, their employer makes a significant contribution to this. At my old job my employer contributed alot more to my pension than I did. I will not receive these kinds of benefits as an MD.

Military recruiters and Public Health Officers seem to make a big deal about pensions when talking up their respective professions. Something to think about, I guess...

• 4 weeks later...
Welders don't make comparable money to doctors!

Sorry for the late reply but I'm catching up to the thread (I find it sort of fun to read). But Underwater welders get paid over 120-200k/year before taxes. My cousin is in the trades business and he knows one guy that does this job. Very dangerous job, and could lose his life in an instant. He's working in the dark a lot of the time and in closed spaces like human wide pipes ... UNDERWATER!

Just thought I'd list a couple other jobs that pay over 100.

- Electricians//Plumbers (working solo or small company with 5< people), wiring houses and stuff working for themselves, including under the table money. People have been known to make over 100,000. Their jobs are tough and physically demanding in the sun in the rain/snow w/e, but they make over 100

- Ice-lake truck drivers (not sure if this is the exact name of the profession), but they basically drive over the northwest territories during cold season (when the lakes are frozen) in huge trucks. They make around 40,000 for a few weeks of work.

- Crab catching (as seen on discovery channel... most dangerous job in the world?) they make 30,000 over a couple weeks if I remember correctly.

- Oil fields.. just working on one is a guaranteed 60k pre-taxes. (its less than 100k I guess, but thought I'd put this in because one of my high school friends just started working at one.. and the most education he has gotten out of high school was ... adult school to upgrade his high school marks.

- More health related now... Pharmacy .. pay is 85-105k pre taxes in the majority of Canada, but 105-125 pre taxes in the states (seattle figures)..

- Nursing... top paid nurses in BC are making 38$/hr.. over time is around 57/hr. And of course, with the acute nursing shortage, just imagine how much overtime is available. If you found a nurse working as many hours as you would during your residency... They'd be making attending salaries! (minor exaggeration)

Not all, but many average programmers make ~80k. Among those Iam aquanted with there a few who make >100-150K. Not dangerous, not even overtimes', just sitting at the working place and programming

Autocad (not sure the spelling)- starting with 100K

Bureaucrats at the city level and higher...

Constractor (my neighbour) > 210k

NOt a bad choice, I guess :)

Archived