Premed 101 Forums

General time per week as a resident?

Hey,

I've been reading a lot about how residents can moonlight up to 70hrs per month at $100/hrs etc. to make extra cash.

Now I'm curious about just how much of a time commitment is a residency? I know it depends on your specialty. Could some of you post the amount of time per week you spend on the [resident] job? How can you pull off moonlighting for even 40 hrs a month?!

I was under the impression that all the residents work like slaves and get paid like slaves and have to eat like slaves etc.

Surgery resident:

7am rounds, OR's 8-6pm three days per week=33 hours

or clinic 8:30-4pm two days per week=15 hours

2-3 nights per week on call- additional 6-14 hours each night=12-39 hours

So, roughly, 33+15 +12=60 or the higher number 33+15+39=87 hours

60-87 hours per week approximately involved in patient care and learning.

168 hours per week,

Leaving 81- 108 hours for sleep and life.

Surgery resident:

7am rounds, OR's 8-6pm three days per week=33 hours

or clinic 8:30-4pm two days per week=15 hours

2-3 nights per week on call- additional 6-14 hours each night=12-39 hours

So, roughly, 33+15 +12=60 or the higher number 33+15+39=87 hours

60-87 hours per week approximately involved in patient care and learning.

168 hours per week,

Leaving 81- 108 hours for sleep and life.

Plus weekend call from time-to-time...

For rural FM residents, it varies by rotation:

When doing the FM blocks:

8:30- Round on a few patients you have in hospital

9:30-12:30 Clinic

12:30-1:30- Lunch (yes, we really do get a lunch break at my clinic each day)

1:30-4 or 4:30 Clinic

Evening- Free or choose to do extra training with docs in emerg or ob etc.

You have tons of time to use for your interests in medicine, whether they be extra time in a special area or self directed learning (which can be bad if you are not motivated).

Emerg:

Believe it or not, there are only about 14 8 hour shifts per month! I have actually requested that this be increased, since I don't think we learn enough with so little time on this rotation. You can always head back to your home hospital, and do extra learning time there if you want.

Currently: IM with hospitalists in a community based setting:

8:00 Arrive, divide up new admissions

8-3:00 pm See patients on your list. You have lots of time to read up on them and research medical topics that are relevant during the day. By 2:00, you can usually head home and answer any pages by phone. If you are on call (once a week and one weekend day every other week), then you stay longer. But even then, you have lots of time to study and can answer pages from home, just returning to admit a few patients if needed.

Every Wednesday, you also head back to a home base for half a day of behavioural science/teaching. You also spend a day every other week seeing patients in your home practice. Second year is even more flexible, since you get selectives, electives, and more FM time.

Rural FM residents have a lot of flexibility and can adjust their schedules to meet their interests and goals. It is nice to be there because you want to...and not have a heavily predetermined schedule that you don't like.

For rural FM residents, it varies by rotation:

When doing the FM blocks:

8:30- Round on a few patients you have in hospital

9:30-12:30 Clinic

12:30-1:30- Lunch (yes, we really do get a lunch break at my clinic each day)

1:30-4 or 4:30 Clinic

Evening- Free or choose to do extra training with docs in emerg or ob etc.

You have tons of time to use for your interests in medicine, whether they be extra time in a special area or self directed learning (which can be bad if you are not motivated).

Emerg:

Believe it or not, there are only about 14 8 hour shifts per month! I have actually requested that this be increased, since I don't think we learn enough with so little time on this rotation. You can always head back to your home hospital, and do extra learning time there if you want.

Currently: IM with hospitalists in a community based setting:

8:00 Arrive, divide up new admissions

8-3:00 pm See patients on your list. You have lots of time to read up on them and research medical topics that are relevant during the day. By 2:00, you can usually head home and answer any pages by phone. If you are on call (once a week and one weekend day every other week), then you stay longer. But even then, you have lots of time to study and can answer pages from home, just returning to admit a few patients if needed.

Every Wednesday, you also head back to a home base for half a day of behavioural science/teaching. You also spend a day every other week seeing patients in your home practice. Second year is even more flexible, since you get selectives, electives, and more FM time.

Rural FM residents have a lot of flexibility and can adjust their schedules to meet their interests and goals. It is nice to be there because you want to...and not have a heavily predetermined schedule that you don't like.

So are you in FM or IM or both?

By 'FM blocks' you mean in clerkship right?

It sounds rural IM is pretty chillaxorz

So are you in FM or IM or both?

By 'FM blocks' you mean in clerkship right?

It sounds rural IM is pretty chillaxorz

I think RuralDoc explained it well in their post. They are a rural family medicine resident and residents do rotations in family medicine (=FM blocks), internal, emerg, etc as part of their training. If I have misinterpreted your post, RuralDoc, please let us know. :)

Archived