Premed 101 Forums

Quick GPA question

Hey guys...does UoO when calculating the wgpa only look at years "towards a degree". I'm thinking of taking a victory lap/special year (rigorous courses etc) and am standing with a 3rd year 3.7 and a 4th year 3.89. So the question is if I were to get a 3.9 in this upcoming year, and apply the year after, so I guess admission for september 2010...would they calculate my 3rd, 4th, and 5th year (which would be a ~3.86/3.87) or only my 2nd, 3rd and 4th year since they are the only ones "towards a degree."

Thanks guys

P.S. This is my concern "Marks obtained on supplementary courses taken outside the usual academic session or during a summer session will not be included in the WGPA calculation."

If you have not completed your degree they count your 5th year as long as it's a full time year.

I could be wrong, but from what I've been told the fact that it takes you 5 years to complete a 4 year degree counts against you though. I don't know how serious the deduction is, but probably not as much if you overloaded yourself and killed your GPA.

Guest soaring_eagle
If you have not completed your degree they count your 5th year as long as it's a full time year.

I could be wrong, but from what I've been told the fact that it takes you 5 years to complete a 4 year degree counts against you though. I don't know how serious the deduction is, but probably not as much if you overloaded yourself and killed your GPA.

What if you switched programs (ie. from Biology to Chemistry) and HAD to do a fifth year to graduate due to courses that you needed to complete for the new year? I don't see how that could count against you. It does not make sense to be penalized for doing more work than someone who originally started in a degree without switching. You aren't cheating anyone, just realizing what suites you best.

What if you switched programs (ie. from Biology to Chemistry) and HAD to do a fifth year to graduate due to courses that you needed to complete for the new year? I don't see how that could count against you. It does not make sense to be penalized for doing more work than someone who originally started in a degree without switching. You aren't cheating anyone, just realizing what suites you best.

It wouldn't count against you in that case. But, for example, say you did one year of bio and then switched to chem...then it took you 5 more years to finish the chem degree (when it's normally a 4 year degree). THAT counts against you, because it shows that you were taking a reduced course load.

Hey guys...does UoO when calculating the wgpa only look at years "towards a degree". I'm thinking of taking a victory lap/special year (rigorous courses etc) and am standing with a 3rd year 3.7 and a 4th year 3.89. So the question is if I were to get a 3.9 in this upcoming year, and apply the year after, so I guess admission for september 2010...would they calculate my 3rd, 4th, and 5th year (which would be a ~3.86/3.87) or only my 2nd, 3rd and 4th year since they are the only ones "towards a degree."

Thanks guys

P.S. This is my concern "Marks obtained on supplementary courses taken outside the usual academic session or during a summer session will not be included in the WGPA calculation."

According to Nicole Racine, a "victory lap" with only bird courses in order to improve GPA will definitely count against you in your application.

I called and asked...im posting this in case someone wants to know in the future....the victory lap...even if rigorous course study will only count if its towards a degree. As for "couting against" for being easy courses, I never planned on that, and so didn't ask them about it.

Archived