Premed 101 Forums

Kill the Radio: Suggestions for Listening Material

seeking1

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if anyone has seen the movie Stop Loss (great movie btw) there is some rap in there that is pretty wicked, its by 4th25 (fourth quarter) and his first record was written and recorded while he was serving in Iraq...its some pretty good non-mainstream stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Favorite Bands:

- The 88

- Jack's Mannequin/Something Corporate

- Get Up Kids

- New Amsterdams

- Angels & Airwaves

- Dashboard

- Rooney

- Saves The Day

- Weezer (new album espscially).....the greatest man that ever lived song is a gooder

I like all music but in terms of moods:

Studying:

- classical/piano

Exercise

- my little sister is slowly turning me into a metal listener for running

- upbeat indie songs

Motorcycle Riding

- indie all the way

Driving

- country music (so I can sing at the top of my lungs, and no I'm not a good singer)

- Deanna Carter

- Toby Keith

- Garth Brooks

- Faith Hill

- Paul Brandt

- Brooks & Dunn

- Phil Vassar

Brand New's album, Deja Entendu. Will always be one of my favourite albums ever.

I agree! I love them, not many people mention them.

I like to do homework to loudish music to stay awake:

Alexisonfire, Rise Against, The Almost, Billy Talent, Blindside, Blink 182, Breaking Benjamin, Bush, Dead Poetic, Hinder, Linkin Park, Lit, Saves the Day, Taking Back Sunday, Three Days Grace, Underoath, 10 Years

For Dancing: Ciara, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Rihanna

And for relaxing: City and Colour, Coldplay, Death Cab, The Fray, Hedley, Jack's Mannequin, Jimmy Eat World, Live, Moneen, Oasis, Pilate, Snow Patrol, Something Corporate

If I had to choose my top favorites...Brandnew, Dead Poetic, Blink 182

When you want to feel calm in a feel good way, (assuming you don't listen to one of the for sad songs),listen to Sigur Ros.

I will guarentee that they definitely won't be for everybody, but they are incredible. From iceland, and they sing in icelandic, in a made up language and very rarely in english, but the whole point to their music is that you decide what each song means to you.

They lead singer / gutiarist plays the guitar with a cello bow and it is unlike anything you've heard before. I saw them live last night and it was far and away the best concert i have ever been to (out of radiohead, metallica, audioslave, linkin park and others).

Give 'er a try, and listen through several songs to give it a fair chance, some of the songs can take a little bit of time to build up.

I suggest you try:

Untitled 1

Untitled 3

Untitled 8 (listen to this one with high colume, and let it build all the way to the end, it is what they end their concerts with every time)

Hippipolla (feel good)

Saeglopur (a little more rock-like)

and basically everything else. A little hard to pick one song. If you can't tell i am still on a bit of a high from last night.

When you want to feel calm in a feel good way, (assuming you don't listen to one of the for sad songs),listen to Sigur Ros.

I will guarentee that they definitely won't be for everybody, but they are incredible. From iceland, and they sing in icelandic, in a made up language and very rarely in english, but the whole point to their music is that you decide what each song means to you.

They lead singer / gutiarist plays the guitar with a cello bow and it is unlike anything you've heard before. I saw them live last night and it was far and away the best concert i have ever been to (out of radiohead, metallica, audioslave, linkin park and others).

Give 'er a try, and listen through several songs to give it a fair chance, some of the songs can take a little bit of time to build up.

I suggest you try:

Untitled 1

Untitled 3

Untitled 8 (listen to this one with high colume, and let it build all the way to the end, it is what they end their concerts with every time)

Hippipolla (feel good)

Saeglopur (a little more rock-like)

and basically everything else. A little hard to pick one song. If you can't tell i am still on a bit of a high from last night.

Thanks for the suggestion!! I really like untitled 8.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NTvEbGLyyfU

Brand New - Luca (live)

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1_gy-QYjMfs&feature=related

Brand New - untitled 05 (not on any of their albums, just a leaked demo from a long time ago)

Brand New = amazingness

Tim Hecker's Harmony in Ultraviolet has become my study time soundtrack.

The Walkmen's "I lost you" is super great; I've been listening to it lots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg8j7nV1Qxk

So is Postishead's "The Rip"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPJJSCFdVd0

I've been too busy/lazy to explore new tunes so I've been falling back on old ones.

Wolf Parade's new album is a goodie... favorite song by far is California Dreamer

Also the new Black Keys and Black Mountain albums are worth checking out if you're into the whole indie music genre.

I second the love for California Dreamer, it's my favourite track off that album (which is awesome as a whole).

I liked the Black Kids EP but didn't bother with the album...I'll admit to being a tad bit influenced by the Pitchfork review (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/51246-black-kids-partie-traumatic).

I second the love for California Dreamer, it's my favourite track off that album (which is awesome as a whole).

I liked the Black Kids EP but didn't bother with the album...I'll admit to being a tad bit influenced by the Pitchfork review (http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/51246-black-kids-partie-traumatic).

I love pitchfork for the most part...

It isn't consistent though, different reviewers with different tastes take on the same genre of music.... The wolf parade cd was only like a 7.5.....

and they've ripped on a lot of music I like.... haha and I found it was tainting my first listens of some other stuff so I have a strict, only use to pitchfork to search through their good reviews for new ideas, or then to see what they said about music I've already made my mind up about and whine if they gave it a bad review lol..

yikes 3.3

that's garbage, the album is excellent and just goes to show how much personal taste can differ.... I usually am on the same page with their reviews too.

But here's someone else who has something to say about a pitchfork review haha.... I didn't particularly like their music but still found it funny http://www.theairbornetoxicevent.com/news/an-open-letter-to-pitchfork-media-from-the-airborne-toxic-event.html

Kings of Leon- Only by the night (entire album is awesome, old stuff is really good too)

Sam Roberts- everything and anything by the good ol Canadian boy

John Butler Trio- please check these guys out, their from Australia and are simply amazing

Shad- The old prince still lives at home (unreal song and music video, if you like the fresh prince of bellair be sure to check the vid out)

Rage Against the Machine- enough said

Jack Johnson- for the late nights in the lib dreaming about the beach

yikes 3.3

that's garbage, the album is excellent and just goes to show how much personal taste can differ.... I usually am on the same page with their reviews too.

But here's someone else who has something to say about a pitchfork review haha.... I didn't particularly like their music but still found it funny http://www.theairbornetoxicevent.com/news/an-open-letter-to-pitchfork-media-from-the-airborne-toxic-event.html

Haha, "Sort of a musical Rorschach test", nice. Thanks for that link, I haven't listened to their stuff but that was a well written rebuttal (and ouch, a 1.6 is pretty harsh). You're right about the 'fork though, they can be totally inconsistent and after finding out they gave The Boy with the Arab Strap a whopping 0.8 (?!?!) they lost a lot of cred for me. I found myself being swayed by their opinions a lot though so I've stopped reading the site for the most part, haha.

And At Mount Zoomer didn't even get a Best New Music tag if I remember correctly, which is totally unjust.

Archived