Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

you're 16, go outside and chase after girls and enjoy your youth and get of this site....maybe come back in a couple years 

I'm applying in 1 year and half though, that's soon enough for me. Maybe it's at a different time outside of Quebec province.

And no need to worry about my youth, it's kind of you :) I still play video games and cuddle with my love.

Alright let's give this a shot, what are my chances? For MD and MD/PhD?

cGPA = 3.93

UofT wGPA = 3.96

uOttawa wGPA = 3.96

Western wGPA = 3.96

Queen's wGPA = 3.96

McMaster GPA = 3.93

In Province in Ontario, non-SWOMEN. 

Never applied before. I will be applying after I complete my 2-year research/thesis-based M.Sc in Developmental Biology at Queen's. I have not written the MCAT yet.

ECs:

- Physician shadowing for 1 summer in high school

- Volunteer at a retirement home for 1 summer in high school.

- Hospital volunteer for 1 summer.

- TA for multiple courses for 3 years (Fall, Winter, and Spring semesters).

- NSERC USRA for 1 summer. No publications.

- And a bit of volunteer work that were not long term over my years of undergrad. 

- Began classical training in vocal music in 3rd year. 

Awards:

- Entrance Scholarship.

- Queen's Academic Excellence Scholarship.

This is getting crazy competitive. My friends with similar GPA and WAY more extensive ECs than me only received one interview each this cycle. 

Hey everyone! I just finished my first year at Western and was wondering if you have any tips for strengthening my EC's for next year.

First year GPA: 3.92

I have really enjoyed everything I have done thus far, and am hoping to become further involved in volunteering/clubs supporting those with developmental disabilities which is something I am passionate about but I'm not really sure what areas of my EC's I'm currently lacking in.

Thanks! :)

Alright let's give this a shot, what are my chances? For MD and MD/PhD?

cGPA = 3.93

UofT wGPA = 3.96

uOttawa wGPA = 3.96

Western wGPA = 3.96

Queen's wGPA = 3.96

McMaster GPA = 3.93

In Province in Ontario, non-SWOMEN. 

Never applied before. I will be applying after I complete my 2-year research/thesis-based M.Sc in Developmental Biology at Queen's. I have not written the MCAT yet.

ECs:

- Physician shadowing for 1 summer in high school

- Volunteer at a retirement home for 1 summer in high school.

- Hospital volunteer for 1 summer.

- TA for multiple courses for 3 years (Fall, Winter, and Spring semesters).

- NSERC USRA for 1 summer. No publications.

- And a bit of volunteer work that were not long term over my years of undergrad. 

- Began classical training in vocal music in 3rd year. 

Awards:

- Entrance Scholarship.

- Queen's Academic Excellence Scholarship.

This is getting crazy competitive. My friends with similar GPA and WAY more extensive ECs than me only received one interview each this cycle. 

GPA is great but your ECs are slightly below average IMO. I would focus on building some unique ECs in your MSc and write the MCAT. Getting into medical school is a lot more than just having a 4.0 these days. Unfortunately that does not guarantee you an interview anymore.

If you have questions about ECs PM me and I can give more advice. Best of luck with the MSc!

Hey everyone! I just finished my first year in Western Med Sci and was wondering if you have any tips for strengthening my EC's for next year.

First year GPA: 3.92

EC's:

-Volunteering at a local school (2 hours/week)

-General member of social committee for programs association (helped plan events/sell tickets:1 hour/week)

-Tutor (1 hour/week)

-Shadowed a local family doctor (15 hours)

-Junior executive for club that plans community outreach events for local children (2 hours/week + events)

Next year I am planning on continuing tutoring and volunteering in the school, and I have been chosen to be a Rez Soph (Welcome Week representative) and a Fundraising Exec on the club that I was a Junior Exec on this year. I also am starting to volunteer at a hospital in London this summer and will be continuing that next year. Over the summer I'm also working in a retail store/travelling/volunteering as a Physiotherapy assistant with vulnerable populations.

I have really enjoyed everything I have done thus far, and am hoping to become further involved in volunteering/clubs supporting those with developmental disabilities which is something I am passionate about but I'm not really sure what areas of my EC's I'm currently lacking in.

Thanks!

Look into Best Buddies! Western has a chapter, I think it fits nicely with your ECs and also lets you work with kids with intellectual disability. You can also look into family respite groups :)

Hi guys! Would really appreciate your feedback on what my chances are for this application cycle.

[3rd year biochemistry student at McMasterU]

Cumulative GPA: 3.90

Last two years: 3.92

MCAT: 

[total score: 518] P/C 129 - CARS 130 - B/B 129 - P/S 130 

ECs:

- 3 years volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital (all throughout high school)

- Editor-in-chief of high school newspaper

- Writer for main university newspaper for last three years

- Volunteer at arts camp for children with disabilities; 3 summers (worked with groups and also as a one-on-one facilitator)

- Volunteer at an after-school arts program for at-risk youth for 1 year - went on to become exec for the next two years (publicity, events) - now elected president of the club

- Member of local chapter of Canadian Association for Girls in Science (organize programs to get young girls interested in the STEM field)

- Member of local chapter of She's The First (organize programs to get young girls interested in the STEM field + charity events for girls in 3rd world countries)

- Volunteer in emergency department (40 hrs, continuing) 

- Volunteered at every university open house for high school students (2 per year for the last 2 years)

- Paid research assistant in a genetics lab for the past 3 years (did experiments, managed the lab e.g. hiring volunteers/training/leading meetings); will be doing my thesis there for the last year

Awards:

- Just the university entrance scholarship 

- Couple of small high school awards

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. Mac in particular is my dream school so I'd love some feedback specific to it as well!

Hi guys! Would really appreciate your feedback on what my chances are for this application cycle.

[3rd year biochemistry student at McMasterU]

Last two years: 3.92

MCAT: 

[total score: 518] P/C 129 - CARS 130 - B/B 129 - P/S 130 

ECs:

- 3 years volunteering at a rehabilitation hospital (all throughout high school)

- Editor-in-chief of high school newspaper

- Writer for main university newspaper for last three years

- Volunteer at arts camp for children with disabilities; 3 summers (worked with groups and also as a one-on-one facilitator)

- Volunteer at an after-school arts program for at-risk youth for 1 year - went on to become exec for the next two years (publicity, events) - now elected president of the club

- Member of local chapter of Canadian Association for Girls in Science (organize programs to get young girls interested in the STEM field)

- Member of local chapter of She's The First (organize programs to get young girls interested in the STEM field + charity events for girls in 3rd world countries)

- Volunteer in emergency department (40 hrs, continuing) 

- Volunteered at every university open house for high school students (2 per year for the last 2 years)

- Paid research assistant in a genetics lab for the past 3 years (did experiments, managed the lab e.g. hiring volunteers/training/leading meetings); will be doing my thesis there for the last year

Awards:

- Just the university entrance scholarship 

- Couple of small high school awards

Thanks a lot in advance!

P.S. Mac in particular is my dream school so I'd love some feedback specific to it as well!

Your MCAT is good and your GPA is okay (I don't think it will hurt your application, but I don't think it will make you stand out either.

I think you should work on your ECs. It sounds like some of the stuff you do does not require any significant time commitment nor has it shown leadersip. That being said, I'm not sure what you have done with the women in science groups. 

Try to join something or start something that demonstrates passion and commitment this summer (maybe work more intensely with people with disabilities?). You need to demonstrate core CANmed competencies and I think that is hard with what you currently have. 

However, I dont think Mac looks at ECs (I might be wrong). Your CARS and GPA are good. Kill the CASPR and you have a good chance of a Mac Interview

Your MCAT is good and your GPA is okay (I don't think it will hurt your application, but I don't think it will make you stand out either.

I think you should work on your ECs. It sounds like some of the stuff you do does not require any significant time commitment nor has it shown leadersip. That being said, I'm not sure what you have done with the women in science groups. 

Try to join something or start something that demonstrates passion and commitment this summer (maybe work more intensely with people with disabilities?). You need to demonstrate core CANmed competencies and I think that is hard with what you currently have. 

However, I dont think Mac looks at ECs (I might be wrong). Your CARS and GPA are good. Kill the CASPR and you have a good chance of a Mac Interview

Thank you for your valuable insight!!

I forgot to mention that I helped start our chapter of She's the First (with a couple of other ladies) and that I planned/ran a couple of the CAGIS events myself. 

It won't hurt to improve my ECs this summer though.

Hi guys! Would really appreciate any feedback on chances for this application cycle. Graduating as a BHSc student at McMasterU next month (non rural + non-SWOMEN so will not be applying to NOSM or Western as my CARS score is too low).

1st 3.77

2nd 3.86

3rd 3.97

4th 4.00

UofT wGPA: 3.98

Ottawa wGPA: 3.94

Mac wGPA: 3.90

Queens wGPA: 3.98 

MCAT: [total score: 518] P/C 129 - CARS 127 - B/B 130 - P/S 132 (97th percentile, but I know... CARS is borderline for most schools)

Volunteer/ECs/Research:

- Hamilton Intergenerational Music Program (Piloting and developing program)

- Research Assistant McMaster Children's Hospital (2 publications, many conferences)

- McMaster MakeBelieve (Program Coordinator)

- Tutor (Ultimate tutoring/Tutor Doctor)

- Catering Company (work part-time on Sunday)

- Piano Teacher (Music Studio)

- Cardiology Clinic Volunteer

- Optometrist Shadowing

- Neurosurgeon Shadowing (McMaster MURSA)

- Gospel Choir

- 2 School Musical's (Band director)

- Intramural Softball team

- Marching/Jazz band

- Teaching Assistant (2 courses) during summer school and in the upcoming year

Awards:

- University entrance scholarship 

- Provost's award (final year 4.0)

- Some music awards throughout high school

I'm taking a gap year to work/volunteer and try again with an improved GPA. I just really need advice on where else I can apply OOP or other EC opportunities that would benefit me during a gap year. Was also thinking of getting some academic consultation this year with my application like BeMo or MDconsultations. Does anyone have any experience with these companies they'd like to comment?

Thanks!

Hi guys! Would really appreciate any feedback on chances for this application cycle. Graduating as a BHSc student at McMasterU next month (non rural + non-SWOMEN so will not be applying to NOSM or Western as my CARS score is too low).

1st 3.77

2nd 3.86

3rd 3.97

4th 4.00

UofT wGPA: 3.98

Ottawa wGPA: 3.94

Mac wGPA: 3.90

Queens wGPA: 3.98 

MCAT: [total score: 518] P/C 129 - CARS 127 - B/B 130 - P/S 132 (97th percentile, but I know... CARS is borderline for most schools)

Volunteer/ECs/Research:

- Hamilton Intergenerational Music Program (Piloting and developing program)

- Research Assistant McMaster Children's Hospital (2 publications, many conferences)

- McMaster MakeBelieve (Program Coordinator)

- Tutor (Ultimate tutoring/Tutor Doctor)

- Catering Company (work part-time on Sunday)

- Piano Teacher (Music Studio)

- Cardiology Clinic Volunteer

- Optometrist Shadowing

- Neurosurgeon Shadowing (McMaster MURSA)

- Gospel Choir

- 2 School Musical's (Band director)

- Intramural Softball team

- Marching/Jazz band

- Teaching Assistant (2 courses) during summer school and in the upcoming year

Awards:

- University entrance scholarship 

- Provost's award (final year 4.0)

- Some music awards throughout high school

I'm taking a gap year to work/volunteer and try again with an improved GPA. I just really need advice on where else I can apply OOP or other EC opportunities that would benefit me during a gap year. Was also thinking of getting some academic consultation this year with my application like BeMo or MDconsultations. Does anyone have any experience with these companies they'd like to comment?

Thanks!

Overall, you seem like a very solid applicant. Its a bid hard to judge your ECs though since you didn't put the hours or how you described them on your ABS (difficult to get a sense of what was your role/what your commitment was like). Also, did you apply this cycle and get any interviews? Was having trouble telling from your description. Also, your Wgpa's at all the schools you listed should not be stopping you at all. They are all very competitive. The only obvious problem is your "lower" CARS score, but with your gpa, I would think that you should be able to make up for it at all the schools you applied to except Western. Some options to look into are if you think its worth rewriting the mcat for CARS (I don't think so though), was your ABS as well-written as it could have been?, did you feel like your CASPer went well?, and are your reference letters all strong?). Overall, you seem like a pretty strong candidate, just some things to think about. Good luck! 

cGPA (without summer courses): 3.76

1st: 3.75

2nd: 3.63

3rd: 3.91

UofT wGPA: 3.91

Ottawa wGPA: 3.79

McMaster cGPA: 3.71

Best two years: 3.83

Most Recent two: 3.77

Strong ECs, non-rural, SWOMEN

I still haven’t written the MCAT yet. But just based on my GPA, should I consider applying this cycle? If so, which schools would I have a shot at?

cGPA (without summer courses): 3.76

1st: 3.75

2nd: 3.63

3rd: 3.91

UofT wGPA: 3.91

Ottawa wGPA: 3.79

McMaster cGPA: 3.71

Best two years: 3.83

Most Recent two: 3.77

Strong ECs, non-rural, SWOMEN

I still haven’t written the MCAT yet. But just based on my GPA, should I consider applying this cycle? If so, which schools would I have a shot at?

Depending on your MCAT you could apply to Toronto, McMaster, Queen's, Western.

Ottawa don't even bother, without their weighting your current GPA wouldn't cut it. I think if you do very well in 4th year you will be looking pretty good! Just kill the MCAT.

Best of luck

Hey everyone, Im looking for some feedback on my ECs. Received interview at McMaster this past cycle but rejected post-interview. Did not receive interviews at Queens or UofT who looks at ABS (attempted to frame it according to CanMeds). Missed UBC interview cutoff by 0.6 points (NAQ score 31.48). I'm not sure if it's the quality of my ECs or my description of my ECs that's the problem (or both?). Can someone weigh in? I'm graduating in a month.

McMaster: 3.91

Queens/Western/UofT: 3.96

Ottawa: 3.955

MCAT: 517 C/P=129, CARS=128, Bio=131, Pych=129

Research

-Research Assistant at ecology laboratory (2 years). Led to thesis project

-High school research project (1 year)

-Starting research assistant position this summer relating to public health

-Presentation for thesis project

-No pubs

-Attended research seminars as part of course

Volunteering

-2 soup kitchen places (3 years, 4years)

-Literacy tutor (2 years)

-Hospital volunteer (5 years)

ECs

-exec of 5 clubs (all for duration of one year)

-long term exec of one club relating to soup kitchen (3 years moving from exec to president)

-starting an acting/performance project for welcome week students

-Academic mentor (2 years)

-a bunch of high school stuff (writing, music, dance)

-intramural basketball

-calisthenics

-travel

No employment

I'm also looking to apply to OOP schools: McGill, Dalhousie, Memorial, UBC, Alberta, Calgary, Saskatchewan

Also applying to US medical schools

Any advice on how I can improve my chances at interview for the next cycle? 

Seemingly, it's your description of the ABS that is the problem. Are US med school applications worth it, I.e., do you have the funding set up, if not, are you not just spinning your wheels?

Hey Bambi, thank you for your input. I do have the funding to attend US med schools but I would rather study in Canada. I do not have the organic chemistry and physics requirements (need 1 more semester of each) but will probably take physics this summer or during the regular school year. Given how competitive it is for Canadians to matriculate into an USMD, do you think that my ECs are competitive for USMDs? 

Hey Bambi, thank you for your input. I do have the funding to attend US med schools but I would rather study in Canada. I do not have the organic chemistry and physics requirements (need 1 more semester of each) but will probably take physics this summer or during the regular school year. Given how competitive it is for Canadians to matriculate into an USMD, do you think that my ECs are competitive for USMDs? 

I agree - seems to be more of an issue with your ABS/non-academic descriptions. Regarding USMD competitiveness, I think you are, generally, competitive, but keep in mind that USMDs almost require you to have shadowing experience.

On 5/23/2017 at 1:34 PM, CantConcentrate said:

I agree - seems to be more of an issue with your ABS/non-academic descriptions. Regarding USMD competitiveness, I think you are, generally, competitive, but keep in mind that USMDs almost require you to have shadowing experience.

Yeh, just to echo this, I have found that all the US programs I have looked at have needed shadowing experience.

Hi everyone,

I was planning to write my MCAT this summer but that doesn't look like it will be happening, so I was wondering what my chances would be at U of T and Ottawa with my old MCAT (11 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS). My GPA for both U of T and Ottawa is 3.92. I was planning to also apply MD/PhD if that makes any difference. I am IP for Ontario and will be completing my undergrad degree this year.

Employment: Professional video editor (>1500 hrs), wet lab research assistant (>1000 hrs), social science research assistant (>600 hrs), other odd jobs (>600 hrs)

Volunteering: ER volunteer with advancement to head volunteer position (300 hrs), crisis line responder (500 hrs), fostering and rehoming abandoned animals (1000 hrs), Beaver (scouts) leader (1000 hrs), coordinator for student health promotion programs out of school clinic (300 hrs), various leadership/mentorship roles 

Extracurriculars: Lots of arts stuff (concert orchestra, painting, poetry/short stories, exec for arts journal, publication in literary magazine), founder/co-president of campus philosophy society, founder of arts society for disadvantaged youth, chair of university administration student health committee, representative on university administration disability/accessibility committee, lots of mental health-related activities

Research: 2 undergraduate research projects, 5 posters but no accepted publications yet (1 co-author pub in submission, 2 first author pubs in prep), 3 oral presentations, 2 guest lectures

Awards: community service awards, arts awards, Duke of Ed gold, entrance scholarship, 3 undergrad research awards (similar to NSERC), dean's list award (for being among top ~10 students in faculty)

Other: caregiver for sibling with disability

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, mew said:

Hi everyone,

I was planning to write my MCAT this summer but that doesn't look like it will be happening, so I was wondering what my chances would be at U of T and Ottawa with my old MCAT (11 PS, 9 VR, 10 BS). My GPA for both U of T and Ottawa is 3.92. I was planning to also apply MD/PhD if that makes any difference. I am IP for Ontario and will be completing my undergrad degree this year.

Employment: Professional video editor (>1500 hrs), wet lab research assistant (>1000 hrs), social science research assistant (>600 hrs), other odd jobs (>600 hrs)

Volunteering: ER volunteer with advancement to head volunteer position (300 hrs), crisis line responder (500 hrs), fostering and rehoming abandoned animals (1000 hrs), Beaver (scouts) leader (1000 hrs), coordinator for student health promotion programs out of school clinic (300 hrs), various leadership/mentorship roles 

Extracurriculars: Lots of arts stuff (concert orchestra, painting, poetry/short stories, exec for arts journal, publication in literary magazine), founder/co-president of campus philosophy society, founder of arts society for disadvantaged youth, chair of university administration student health committee, representative on university administration disability/accessibility committee, lots of mental health-related activities

Research: 2 undergraduate research projects, 5 posters but no accepted publications yet (1 co-author pub in submission, 2 first author pubs in prep), 3 oral presentations, 2 guest lectures

Awards: community service awards, arts awards, Duke of Ed gold, entrance scholarship, 3 undergrad research awards (similar to NSERC), dean's list award (for being among top ~10 students in faculty)

Other: caregiver for sibling with disability

Thanks!

I think you have a great shot at both schools! For UofT at least, your reference letters and essays will also have a huge impact. I recommend you get letters from people that know you really well (prestige of referee has 0 impact) and really start working on the essays as soon as possible. MCAT at UofT is not evaluated competitively so you should be fine. Ottawa doesn't even look at the MCAT. I would also suggest you throw in an app for Queens. They don't officially post their MCAT cutoffs but no harm in trying. 

29 minutes ago, itsmemario said:

I think you have a great shot at both schools! For UofT at least, your reference letters and essays will also have a huge impact. I recommend you get letters from people that know you really well (prestige of referee has 0 impact) and really start working on the essays as soon as possible. MCAT at UofT is not evaluated competitively so you should be fine. Ottawa doesn't even look at the MCAT. I would also suggest you throw in an app for Queens. They don't officially post their MCAT cutoffs but no harm in trying. 

Thanks for your reply! I applied to Queen's last year, but didn't get an interview, so I feel like my MCAT might just be too low. I'm planning to get references from my 2 thesis supervisors and my supervisor at the clinic.

...You have a *terrific* GPA... and hundred of hours of volunteering... Honestly, unless you bomb the MCAT, you don't really have anything to worry about; whatever you think of your ECs, that GPA gives you quite a bit of leeway. Many pre-med ECs aren't as interesting as you think, lol. Maybe spend more time on figuring out how to make your ABS meaningful and fit in 100 characters, if you're worried.

In terms of them being recent commitments, since many people move to a different city for university, two years isn't bad in terms of length (again, don't know what year you're in). 

Just one point though: most of your awards seem to be as a direct result of your GPA which, not to take anything away from them, doesn't add very much to what they don't already know about you. However, that's not something you can easily change within a summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys! I'm looking for some help in determining which schools I should apply to. I am an Alberta resident. I applied to UofA and UofC last year and interviewed at both schools and made it onto the UofA waitlist. However my GPA dropped to a 3.86 this year.

On the 4.0 Scale here are my grades:

1st year 3.94

2nd 3.91

3rd 3.59

4th 3.72

So I got a solid downword trend.. haha, I broke up with my fiancé in 3rd year (should I mention that in my med school application to explain a lower GPA?) 4th year I have no excuse lol. 

MCAT is a 506 (126/127/127/126) however I'm rewriting in August and I can see myself getting a 510-12 (CARS maaaybe will go up to 128)

ECs:

Camp counselor 4 years.

Youth Leader 4 years.

8 month missions trip (5months were on a sailboat where we helped people in hard to reach areas).

Volunteer firefighter/first responder 3 years.

Labouratory assistant in a Bee Diagnostics Centre (4 months)

Research assistant for Engineering and Chemistry department at UofA (4 months for the summer, then for the whole school for a research course).

So I don't want to waste a bunch of money and time applying to every Canadian medical school if it's not realistic for me to get in. 

Should I just apply to UofA and UofC again, or are there any other schools that I might have a chance at?

Thanks for any help you might have!

- T

Hi guys! I am in my second year and was wondering if I could have some feedback please? :) 

According to OMSAS (I have done 5 courses each semester too): 

1st year: 3.6 (I had a lot of serious family problems which affected me) :(

2nd year: 4.0

ECs (so far):

-Hospital volunteering (long term, did 1 hospital for 2 years now and another for a while now)

-Psychology volutneer research assistant (6 months)

-Clinical neurosciences laboratory research assistant (1+ year now)

-Social neuroscience laboratory assistant (1+ year now)

-Doctor shadowing (8+ months now)

-Volunteer research assistant with a UofT medical professor (6+ months now)

-Exec on a medical club at my school, and just general member of my school's powerlifting team and cultural club :)

-Chemistry and organic chemistry video instructor (i made videos with the professors for incoming students) (6 months)

-Deans list at university (2 years now)

Please any feedback would help! I do understand my GPA sucks because my first year was bad due to family issues which I hope I can do an academic explanations for :/ but it's improving!