Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

On 1/31/2018 at 7:45 PM, JasP said:

wGPA/cGPA: 3.85-3.87 (weighted for uoft, queens and western ranges between this)
Year: gap year

MCAT: 127/127/129/130 (513)
ECs: 600 hours in as a clinical coordinator leading fellow students in meetings, checking patient vitals, and leading a clinical research project (overseeing students recruit patients), few hundred hours shadowing a physician, volunteered at a lab,course based thesis project, summer immunology research award (summer research)- no pubs, 200hours hospital volunteering, currently working as a clinical assistant at an orthodontics clinic, sports(varsity basketball, dragonboating), cultural club (social coordinator) youth mentorhship program, tutoring , missing 1 or 2 other things 

Got rejections this year and I'm not sure what I should do. I have already taken a gap year got a 3.95 and thats is already shown in the gpa mentioned above. My ECs should be ok although its weaker on the research side I would say. I am just not sure what to do. (For western I know my CARS is not good enough so maybe that for western). I wrote the MCAT 3 times so maybe a fourth. 

EC's are great. Ta loco research is weak... a summer immunology research award (I assume it was a competitive position?), clinical research project, and a course based thesis project are pretty epic to me, even though you got no pubs out of it. Great experience to write about if you can

Solid GPA.

Solid MCAT. DON'T retake the MCAT, especially if it will be your 4th time.

Re-evaluate your personal statements. Could be your LOR's?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Employment Record:

1. Yacht maintenance 400hrs

2. Carpentry, 200hrs

3. Treeplanting, 1000hrs

4. First Aid Attendant, 100hrs

Awards: (unlabelled for identity protection reasons)

1. highschool academic achievement, $1’200

2. university academic achievement, $1000

3. scholarship to study philosophy in China $2’500

4. award for leadership, $5’000

5. award for disability rights, $2’000

Leadership Roles:

1. Leadership diploma, 400hrs

2. President of a disability rights student group, 200hrs

Volunteer Work:

1. Stroke Research in a northern indigenous community (NWT), 200hrs

2. Disability rights group, 200hrs

3. Farm/ rural education summer camp, 100hrs

Diversity of Experience:

(Activities that have defined you, verifiable hours, commitment)

1. Around the world travel, 6’500hrs (?)

2. Learning mandarin, 250hrs

3. Ultramarathon Running

5. Treeplanting

6. Exchange to Quebec for 3 months

7. Shadowing various specialties (psychiatry, GP, ER, neuro) 100hrs

8. Honors Thesis (honours degree in philosophy) on biomedical ethics

9. published stroke research 

MCAT and cGPA:
GPA is 3.76
MCAT is 510, 125/125/130/130

To who ever is reading: Thank you very much for your time and energy. It is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

GPA: 3.8, 3.82, 3.93, 3.37 

last year tanked due to frequent hospital visits.

MCAT: 511 balanced with 127 in CARS 

ECs: a bit below average... 1 year research with no pubs, some administrative and seminar presentation for 3 years, and 200ish hours of clinical volunteering 

Im IP in alberta and currently graduated. Im working on my ECs while I wait to apply. So my question was which Canadian schools do I have a shot at? Also, should I retake the MCAT? I am a bit hesitant because what if I score lower? 

1Y: 3.71

2Y: 3.59

3Y: 3.9+ (still in third year)

Have a summer semester w/ 5 courses. Pass and fail courses therefore course drops don't help me out :( if they did I would have 3.9 wGPA (dropping 6 courses).

4Y - all placements (therefore wondering if switching programs would be good)

Currently cGPA: 3.72; after this semester around 3.75

EC: 

300+ hospital volunteering (ward assistant)

100 hours w/ elderly patients program at local hospital

Currently in research project with a publication hopefully

Exec in a club, and long term involvement with student society

Working with elementary students (50 hours)

I know my chances are slim as of yet, however I want to work on improving my stats and raising my competitiveness as an applicant. 
Thanks for your advice in future steps. 

• 2 weeks later...

GPA: 4.0

Mcat: 524 (132 Cars) 

Research: 1 fourth author in a 11 impact factor journal. Manuscript pending for first author. I have ~800 hours in a biochemistry lab and 1000~ hours in a physiology lab. Been doing research since the start of undergrad. 

HealthVolunteering: Children's hospital (1.5 years). Just helping around with activities

Shadowing ER for 40 hours. 

Volunteering in a hospital for ~400 hours. 150 from high school, 250 from undergrad. 

* note that most of my extracurriculars have some sort of volunteering component. 

Extracurriculars: Started branch in my city for a small non-profit. I am very close with the founder. I've been really active in this and raised ~5000 dollars. Work with diverse communities- Very empathy based. 2.5 years commitment 

In a doctors without borders associated club. Helped grow research conference 4 fold and am now currently VP.  3 years commitment.

President of local branch of charity that raises money to help give kids heart surgery. 3 years.

Lots of science outreach. Worked with science outreach organization for 2.5 years (let's talk science)

- Also founded my own organization back in high school that is still going on today. Science outreach too. 2 years commitment. 

Worked with kids in high school in a religious community. We played fun games and did various activities. Leadership maybe? 2 years commitment. 

- Marathon runner and working on some initiatives with kids in the community to foster running. Maybe a summer program?

Letters of Reference from my PI, from my local poetry organization head, and from the charity branch that I founded. Thought they were decent/strong. 

I feel like I am really lacking in Ec's and I don't know what to do. What do you guys suggest I do to improve my application?

46 minutes ago, RandomBeaver said:

Research: 1 fourth author in a 11 impact factor journal. Manuscript pending for first author. I have ~800 hours in a biochemistry lab and 1000~ hours in a physiology lab. Been doing research since the start of undergrad. 

HealthVolunteering: Children's hospital (1.5 years). Just helping around with activities

Volunteering in a hospital for ~400 hours. 150 from high school, 250 from undergrad. 

* note that most of my extracurriculars have some sort of volunteering component. 

Extracurriculars: Published 140 poems to my website. Started poetry programs in the community. 3 poems published in some literary magazines.

Started branch in my city for a small non-profit. I am very close with the founder. I've been really active in this and raised ~5000 dollars. Work with diverse communities- Very empathy based. 2.5 years commitment 

In a doctors without borders associated club. Helped grow research conference 4 fold and am now currently VP.  3 years commitment.

Editor for a student-led magazine at my school. It's pretty small. Over 100 articles written. 3 years commitment.

President of local branch of charity that raises money to help give kids heart surgery. 3 years.

Lots of science outreach. Worked with science outreach organization for 2.5 years (let's talk science)

- Also founded my own organization back in high school that is still going on today. Science outreach too. 2 years commitment. 

Worked with kids in high school in a religious community. We played fun games and did various activities. 2 years commitment. 

- Marathon runner and working on some initiatives with kids in the community to foster running. Maybe a summer program?

Letters of Reference from my PI, from my local poetry organization head, and from the charity branch that I founded. Thought they were decent/strong. 

I feel like I am really lacking in Ec's and I don't know what to do. What do you guys suggest I do to improve my application?

I do not know if you are a troll or not, but your ECs are very strong and as someone who has such high stats, I find it strange that you have to ask about your chances. Your chances are good across the board. 

1 hour ago, RandomBeaver said:

Extracurriculars: Published 140 poems to my website. Started poetry programs in the community. 3 poems published in some literary magazines.

Started branch in my city for a small non-profit. I am very close with the founder. I've been really active in this and raised ~5000 dollars. Work with diverse communities- Very empathy based. 2.5 years commitment 

Editor for a student-led magazine at my school. It's pretty small. Over 100 articles written. 3 years commitment.

Worked with kids in high school in a religious community. We played fun games and did various activities. 2 years commitment. 

Buddy, time to hand in your application :)

On 4/6/2018 at 4:28 PM, RandomBeaver said:

Extracurriculars: Started branch in my city for a small non-profit. I am very close with the founder. I've been really active in this and raised ~5000 dollars. Work with diverse communities- Very empathy based. 2.5 years commitment 

Worked with kids in high school in a religious community. We played fun games and did various activities. Leadership maybe? 2 years commitment. 

Lol stop it, you're making everyone jealous with those stats..

Get to applying dummy you're a star!!

• 1 month later...

As you can probably tell by my username, I am very lost and undecided. I have been dreaming of med school since high school, but lost my way when I entered university. Until recently, I was leaning more toward occupational therapy (for the lifestyle and client contact, mostly), but am unsure whether I would truly be satisfied in the OT profession. 

My statistics aren't great, but I am in my last year now and hope to have at least another year to strengthen my application. If not, I plan to work, travel, and strengthen my application for another year before reapplying. So, I could potentially be applying for September 2020. 

cGPA: 3.83 (Double degrees in Psychology and Business Administration - the latter I picked up as a minor and had enough room to upgrade it to a major as well.)

Year 1: 3.7 

Year 2: 3.8 

Year 3: 3.95 (11 courses)

Year 4: 3.92 (12 courses)

Year 5: In progress, but given the courses that I'm doing (and taking 5 courses instead of 6), I expect to be just as high if not higher. 

In Year 3 and Year 4, I overloaded (18 credits/semester, all 3rd and 4th level courses). It was definitely too much for me as I was also working 20 hours/week and emotionally dealing with a depressed boyfriend at the time. As a result, my ECs are weak.

MCAT: TBA

ECs: mentoring program (2 years), Psychology social committee (1 year).

Work experience: 1.5 years working with a vulnerable population (administrative, but also a lot of social work, health care meetings, etc.) and 3 years working within the admissions department at my university. Also spent a small amount of time working within the tourism sector (~1 year). 

Research: Completed several research "courses", currently completing an Honours thesis regarding the psychosocial determinants of health. 

Currently, I'm hoping to stop working (at least as much as I was) and pursue more volunteer work. I am also hoping to get involved with a research lab in my final year, in addition to my thesis. Starting this summer, I plan to study the MCAT for approximately 6 months before taking it (I have science prerequisites but it has been a while). I will then apply in Fall 2019 for the Fall of 2020. In the meantime, I plan to look for a job (hopefully in a related field, but if not, research) and pursue other hobbies while working on my application for the next cycle. 

I am currently IP for Memorial, but would like to apply to other schools as well (Queens, Western). 

Do I have a chance? Am I better off working after graduation, doing more courses, or pursuing a Master's?

On 5/28/2018 at 2:11 PM, UndecidedMD said:

As you can probably tell by my username, I am very lost and undecided. I have been dreaming of med school since high school, but lost my way when I entered university. Until recently, I was leaning more toward occupational therapy (for the lifestyle and client contact, mostly), but am unsure whether I would truly be satisfied in the OT profession. 

My statistics aren't great, but I am in my last year now and hope to have at least another year to strengthen my application. If not, I plan to work, travel, and strengthen my application for another year before reapplying. So, I could potentially be applying for September 2020. 

cGPA: 3.83 (Double degrees in Psychology and Business Administration - the latter I picked up as a minor and had enough room to upgrade it to a major as well.)

Year 1: 3.7 

Year 2: 3.8 

Year 3: 3.95 (11 courses)

Year 4: 3.92 (12 courses)

Year 5: In progress, but given the courses that I'm doing (and taking 5 courses instead of 6), I expect to be just as high if not higher. 

In Year 3 and Year 4, I overloaded (18 credits/semester, all 3rd and 4th level courses). It was definitely too much for me as I was also working 20 hours/week and emotionally dealing with a depressed boyfriend at the time. As a result, my ECs are weak.

MCAT: TBA

ECs: mentoring program (2 years), Psychology social committee (1 year).

Work experience: 1.5 years working with a vulnerable population (administrative, but also a lot of social work, health care meetings, etc.) and 3 years working within the admissions department at my university. Also spent a small amount of time working within the tourism sector (~1 year). 

Research: Completed several research "courses", currently completing an Honours thesis regarding the psychosocial determinants of health. 

Currently, I'm hoping to stop working (at least as much as I was) and pursue more volunteer work. I am also hoping to get involved with a research lab in my final year, in addition to my thesis. Starting this summer, I plan to study the MCAT for approximately 6 months before taking it (I have science prerequisites but it has been a while). I will then apply in Fall 2019 for the Fall of 2020. In the meantime, I plan to look for a job (hopefully in a related field, but if not, research) and pursue other hobbies while working on my application for the next cycle. 

I am currently IP for Memorial, but would like to apply to other schools as well (Queens, Western). 

Do I have a chance? Am I better off working after graduation, doing more courses, or pursuing a Master's?

Your best odds are for Memorial. With a balanced 508+ I will be surprised if you don't get an interview.

If you want to apply to Ontario schools, you will most likely need a 513+ with at least 127 on CARS. If you are aiming for Western you'll need a 129 on CARS. You should also consider Mac. UfT will be hard, but not impossible..

With regards to what to do next for your application cycle, it is a though call. If you think you can handle a full course load and get at least a 3.9 GPA, it might be worthwhile. If you want to do masters (I realize its hard to know in advance) you should do so only if you think you will be able to pump out papers. 

2 hours ago, hartk48 said:

Your best odds are for Memorial. With a balanced 508+ I will be surprised if you don't get an interview.

If you want to apply to Ontario schools, you will most likely need a 513+ with at least 127 on CARS. If you are aiming for Western you'll need a 129 on CARS. You should also consider Mac. UfT will be hard, but not impossible..

With regards to what to do next for your application cycle, it is a though call. If you think you can handle a full course load and get at least a 3.9 GPA, it might be worthwhile. If you want to do masters (I realize its hard to know in advance) you should do so only if you think you will be able to pump out papers. 

Thank you for all your help! It's all very helpful, especially the information about Ontario schools. 

When you say full course load, are you referring to a 6th year of undergrad? I'm just starting my fifth now, so I still have another year of marks to come out and wouldn't be applying until they were final. Would the 6th year make a substantial difference?

16 minutes ago, UndecidedMD said:

Thank you for all your help! It's all very helpful, especially the information about Ontario schools. 

When you say full course load, are you referring to a 6th year of undergrad? I'm just starting my fifth now, so I still have another year of marks to come out and wouldn't be applying until they were final. Would the 6th year make a substantial difference?

My bad, skipped that line :). In that case, 6th year might not be worth it given how much time you have to spend studying. Seems like you got everything in place for the upcoming cycle, hopefully you wont need to think about the application 19/20 cycle. 

On 1/17/2018 at 3:46 PM, sarangee said:

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some guidance, I'm not sure if I should take a masters or not before applying to med school. I'm in my 4th year currently, and I haven't applied yet (taking a gap year off to spend time with my elderly grandparents as much as I can). I'm a BC resident, would love to be able to attend UBC mostly, but I'd move anywhere tbh. 

GPA 1st year: 3.37

GPA 2nd year: 3.21 (I know, orgo killed me)

GPA 3rd year: 3.92

GPA 4th year: currently at 3.96

(~87% adjusted GPA for UBC)

I screwed up in first and second year, and there's really no excuse for that. 

ECs:

4 years as a volunteer first responder (MFR certified, promoted to Corporal, do some PR projects)

3 years as a big buddy to two at-risk children (2-3 hours/week)

2 years as an executive member for a program that provides breakfast to at-risk elementary school children (2-3 hours/week)

2 years volunteering in pediatrics and ER (patient visiting) - 1 year of being the ER program mentor (training new volunteers, implementing new ideas etc)

2 summers working on FASD research (no pubs)

2 summers working full-time (once as cashier - did this over a winter break too, once as a barista)

1 year as a peer academic advisor (2-3 hours/week)

MCAT:

511 - 128/127/128/128 - not great, I'm going to retake to bring my CARs up.

Overall, I think that my ECs are at best really average, and nothing about my application stands out. I don't even know if I have a chance, since med schools are so competitive in Canada, so I would love some advice. I know that I wouldn't know for sure unless I apply, but I would like a second opinion anyway.

I'd definitely apply for UBC, your aGPA is about average for the accepted applicants. You've got some good EC's as well, keep working on developing them- UBC loves to see growth in a position i.e. volunteer-->team lead etc. REally spend time on your UBC application when writing out the EC descriptions and you have a solid shot at an interivew. And if not, you'll see how your EC's are scored so can improve for next cycle

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sarahbanana777 said:

If my cGPA is 3.88 and MCAT 517 (131, 128, 128, 130) with strong ECs (Ontario resident), what schools would you recommend applying to? GPA around 3.95 when any weighting used (1 bad year). Any advice is appreciated!

If you hit a weighted GPA like that, then definitely Ottawa and Toronto are a fair shot, and with that stellar MCAT score Queens would be a great shot as well. While GPA is slightly above average for Mac and Cars are at average, a good Casper could snag you an interview!

• 1 month later...

I completed my B.Sc with a WGPA (based on OMSA) for UofT 3.21...and 3.2 calculated gpa for u of calgary (excluding my lowest year of my B.Sc and including my  M.Sc gpa). I am an albertan.

During my B.Sc, I spent 200+ hours volunteering at the hospital, 200+ hours as a research volunteer, and 100+ hours as a research assistant. I am an author in 4 papers during my undergraduate study. I have tutored 2000+ hours and worked at the optometrist office for a year.

I completed my M.Sc and medical science (thesis-based) and had two oral presentations in international radiology conferences and completed with a 3.8/4.0 cgpa in the courses I have taken.

I am currently a PhD student still in medical science (thesis based) and I want to apply for medical school after completion. The first time I took the MCAT in 2015, I got a 508. I will be retaking it two years from now. 

I was discouraged after looking at my undergraduate gpa...do I have a chance?

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Acceptmenextcyclehowbowdah said:
Doing this again, already applied but want some realistic feedback now I'm through the thick:

IP: Ontario
Year: Finished MSc.

AMSCAS 3.78
sGPA 3.71

(IN OMSAS): 
First year: 3.72 (3.68 fall, 3.76 winter) 
Second year: 3.62 (3.38, 3.86)
Third year: 3.8 (3.78, 3.84) 
Fourth Year: 3.83 (3.72, 3.94) 

MCATs
26: 10/7/9
25: 10/8/7
509: 126/126/128/129
516: 127/129/128/132

My ECs:
-Campus Club founder and president.
-Response Team executive for three year, volunteer for first year.
-Master's club executive
-Orientation leader three times.
-Shadowing experience in surgery with orthopaedic and general surgeons.
-Volunteer at a doctor's office (really, just secretarial work and some extra shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nuclear lab (but really, just more shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nursing home (life enrichment and programming).
-Volunteered in a resident training
-Tons of intramurals, and gym use.

Research
-One directed study, three conference citations
-Two pubs (one first author)
-Data collection multiple times

Thanks!

if you meet the course load, you should get an interview at Western!