Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
register

FAQ: What are my chances?

Recommended Posts

Doing this again, already applied but want some realistic feedback now I'm through the thick:
 
IP: Ontario
Year: Finished MSc.
 
 
AMSCAS 3.78
sGPA 3.71
 
(IN OMSAS): 
First year: 3.72 (3.68 fall, 3.76 winter) 
Second year: 3.62 (3.38, 3.86)
Third year: 3.8 (3.78, 3.84) 
Fourth Year: 3.83 (3.72, 3.94) 
 
MCATs
26: 10/7/9
25: 10/8/7
509: 126/126/128/129
516: 127/129/128/132
 
My ECs:
-Campus Club founder and president.
-Response Team executive for three year, volunteer for first year.
-Master's club executive
-Orientation leader three times.
-Shadowing experience in surgery with orthopaedic and general surgeons.
-Volunteer at a doctor's office (really, just secretarial work and some extra shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nuclear lab (but really, just more shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nursing home (life enrichment and programming).
-Volunteered in a resident training
-Tons of intramurals, and gym use.
 
Research
-One directed study, three conference citations
-Two pubs (one first author)
-Data collection multiple times
 
Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Acceptmenextcyclehowbowdah said:
Doing this again, already applied but want some realistic feedback now I'm through the thick:
 
IP: Ontario
Year: Finished MSc.
 
 
AMSCAS 3.78
sGPA 3.71
 
(IN OMSAS): 
First year: 3.72 (3.68 fall, 3.76 winter) 
Second year: 3.62 (3.38, 3.86)
Third year: 3.8 (3.78, 3.84) 
Fourth Year: 3.83 (3.72, 3.94) 
 
MCATs
26: 10/7/9
25: 10/8/7
509: 126/126/128/129
516: 127/129/128/132
 
My ECs:
-Campus Club founder and president.
-Response Team executive for three year, volunteer for first year.
-Master's club executive
-Orientation leader three times.
-Shadowing experience in surgery with orthopaedic and general surgeons.
-Volunteer at a doctor's office (really, just secretarial work and some extra shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nuclear lab (but really, just more shadowing).
-Volunteer at a nursing home (life enrichment and programming).
-Volunteered in a resident training
-Tons of intramurals, and gym use.
 
Research
-One directed study, three conference citations
-Two pubs (one first author)
-Data collection multiple times
 
Thanks!

if you meet the course load, you should get an interview at Western! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I've been reading a lot of this forum, trying to outline the list of the med schools I have chances with.

I'm not sure how to self-assess my GPA. I've got BSc in Nursing, going to school full time for 4 years (Sept to August). However, before starting the nursing program, and before I even knew I would be accepted, I took 6 courses (3 credits each) which were not technically pre-reqs, they would have been a part of the program otherwise (2 ENG, 2 BIO, 2 electives).

So, that was winter and summer semesters before starting the bachelor of nursing. Each semester 9 credits, so I guess it's full-time, right?

And then I had 4 full years, each year still full time, despite the 'lightened' course-load provided by the above-mentioned.

A lot of courses were 'mastery' courses, pass/fail kinda thing. I never had a fail and I never had to re-take anything.

Basically, after graduation my transcript only has 65.5 GPA credits, out of 138.

I would appreciate your advise on now to approach the calculation. My cumulative GPA is not that great, 3.47, but, for example, if I take the last 2 years, it is 3.85, which, with my strong ECs (4 years working as a nurse, 2 years in hospital leadership + a lot more), would allow me to hope to be accepted to one of the schools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted to know what my chances at UofT med school are

Currently in 4th year biotechnology at UofT

GPA: 3.97, wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 522 (127 cars)

Extracirrculars: Was a TA for 2 courses (management and stats course, for 1 semester each). Executive position on 2 clubs (event coordinator) for 3 years. 3 work-study jobs and volunteering at hospitals (mainly shadowing, did this for about 2 semesters).  First responder for EMRG on campus.

Research: I had a few research from high school but im leaving that out. Research over the summer at sick kids (twice) and did currently doing a thesis course. Previously did a team research course. NSERC. No pubs tho....

Letter of recommendations: 1 from my thesis supervisor, 1 from professor, 1 from my work-study supervisor 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completed my B.Sc with a WGPA (based on OMSA) for UofT 3.21...and 3.2 calculated gpa for u of calgary (excluding my lowest year of my B.Sc and including my  M.Sc gpa). I am an albertan.

During my B.Sc, I spent 200+ hours volunteering at the hospital, 200+ hours as a research volunteer, and 100+ hours as a research assistant. I am an author in 4 papers during my undergraduate study. I have tutored 2000+ hours and worked at the optometrist office for a year.

I completed my M.Sc and medical science (thesis-based) and had two oral presentations in international radiology conferences and completed with a 3.8/4.0 cgpa in the courses I have taken.

I am currently a PhD student still in medical science (thesis based) and I want to apply for medical school after completion. The first time I took the MCAT in 2015, I got a 508. I will be retaking it two years from now. 

I was discouraged after looking at my undergraduate gpa...do I have a chance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M.ScGHOST said:

I completed my B.Sc with a WGPA (based on OMSA) for UofT 3.21...and 3.2 calculated gpa for u of calgary (excluding my lowest year of my B.Sc and including my  M.Sc gpa). I am an albertan.

During my B.Sc, I spent 200+ hours volunteering at the hospital, 200+ hours as a research volunteer, and 100+ hours as a research assistant. I am an author in 4 papers during my undergraduate study. I have tutored 2000+ hours and worked at the optometrist office for a year.

I completed my M.Sc and medical science (thesis-based) and had two oral presentations in international radiology conferences and completed with a 3.8/4.0 cgpa in the courses I have taken.

I am currently a PhD student still in medical science (thesis based) and I want to apply for medical school after completion. The first time I took the MCAT in 2015, I got a 508. I will be retaking it two years from now. 

I was discouraged after looking at my undergraduate gpa...do I have a chance?

Honestly, no. You have pretty much a zero chance of getting in with that GPA. Try doing 1 or 2 years of UG coursework for the schools that will accept that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AvgApplicant said:

Honestly, no. You have pretty much a zero chance of getting in with that GPA. Try doing 1 or 2 years of UG coursework for the schools that will accept that

@M.ScGHOST Depends on your last two years of undergrad, you could be fine for UWO, Queen's and Dal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

I'm VERY interested in applying for the DMD program at UBC and have a few questions about admissions.

A bit of background on me...  I completed an undergrad degree in Business with a 3.2 GPA. I have yet to take the pre-reqs for the DMD program at UBC, as well as write the DAT and CASPER test before applying for the program. After my experiences I realized that dental is what I want to do and I'm aiming to complete the pre-reqs with good grades and complete the DAT and CASPER with high marks.

I'm afraid that with my 3.2 undergrad GPA I have no chances of getting into the program at UBC but I'm hoping that the pre-reqs and DAT turn that around. 

I'm wondering if UBC assess the pre-reqs for the program over the undergrad degree? And how much weight GPA truly has on your application? 

I have some extra curriculars related to my undergrad but none for dental. Would it be a good idea to have some dental extra cirrculars for when I apply? 

Please help! What are my chances of getting accepted? Is there any possibility at all? 

 

Thanks so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wanted to know if I should do a 2 year research masters or take a gap year with my stats? I didn't do too well for my fourth year so my GPA plummeted cause of 2 courses. I want to be a physician heavily focused in research, so don't want to waste years doing a masters in a subject that I might change my mind in the future after medical school. Same time whatever gives me a boost to get in UofT medicine, I'll take it.
 
IP: Ontario
Year: 4th year undergrad
 
cGPA: 3.9
wGPA: 3.94
 
Year 1: 4
Year 2. 3.9
Year 3: 3.85
Year 4: 3.85 (at most)
 
MCATs
(Going to retake this summer after getting a 122 CARS and 128 other sections)
 
My ECs:
-a club president and vice president of another club
-volunteered and worked at hospitals
-did some TA work
 
Research
-no pubs but one NSERC
-two years of clinical research at a hospital
-one year research thesis course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Medase said:
I wanted to know if I should do a 2 year research masters or take a gap year with my stats? I didn't do too well for my fourth year so my GPA plummeted cause of 2 courses. I want to be a physician heavily focused in research, so don't want to waste years doing a masters in a subject that I might change my mind in the future after medical school. Same time whatever gives me a boost to get in UofT medicine, I'll take it.
 
IP: Ontario
Year: 4th year undergrad
 
cGPA: 3.9
wGPA: 3.93
 
Year 1: 4
Year 2. 3.9
Year 3: 3.85
Year 4: 3.85 (at most)
 
MCATs
(Going to retake this summer after getting a 122 CARS and 128 other sections)
 
My ECs:
-a club president and vice president of another club
-volunteered and worked at hospitals
-did some TA work
 
Research
-no pubs but one NSERC
-two years of clinical research at a hospital
-one year research thesis course

There's nothing in your application that can be helped by a Masters. You need a much higher CARS score because your 122 shuts the door to every medical school in the province (and probably country). I would take a gap year, really work on increasing your CARS score and spend the rest of your time working and volunteering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 9:20 AM, xiphoid said:

There's nothing in your application that can be helped by a Masters. You need a much higher CARS score because your 122 shuts the door to every medical school in the province (and probably country). I would take a gap year, really work on increasing your CARS score and spend the rest of your time working and volunteering.

And to add onto that, from an ADCOM perspective, despite your overall competitive GPA, the consistent downward trend will be very worrying. I think taking an extra year of undergrad and showing a strong improvement will help your application a lot more than a masters. Also yeah, re-write the MCAT, there isn't a single med school in Canada that would give you an interview with that low of a CARS score. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, zxcccxz said:

And to add onto that, from an ADCOM perspective, despite your overall competitive GPA, the consistent downward trend will be very worrying. I think taking an extra year of undergrad and showing a strong improvement will help your application a lot more than a masters. Also yeah, re-write the MCAT, there isn't a single med school in Canada that would give you an interview with that low of a CARS score. 

Only American schools take into account trends in GPA. Canada is very formulaic; your GPA is your GPA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 11:20 AM, xiphoid said:

There's nothing in your application that can be helped by a Masters. You need a much higher CARS score because your 122 shuts the door to every medical school in the province (and probably country). I would take a gap year, really work on increasing your CARS score and spend the rest of your time working and volunteering.

I feel like my wGPA burdens me from getting accepted to UofT, even with MCAT cutoffs, as I don't have publications. I'll be applying to other Canadian medical schools, though the chance of getting a stellar CARS score seems out of reach.... I was thinking of doing a masters to increase my chances at UofT, and other universities to balance out my lower CARs score (projecting 126-128) and GPA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Medase said:

I feel like my wGPA burdens me from getting accepted to UofT, even with MCAT cutoffs, as I don't have publications. I'll be applying to other Canadian medical schools, though the chance of getting a stellar CARS score seems out of reach.... I was thinking of doing a masters to increase my chances at UofT, and other universities to balance out my lower CARs score (projecting 126-128) and GPA

Is this a joke? A 3.94 GPA will not be the weakness of your application (unless you have a Nobel Prize that we don't know about and a forthcoming cure for cancer?) You don't need publications to get into medical school. The research part is just a checkbox and your application can already check off that box. Having publications will also not balance out a low CARS score when you're currently at a 122 and the minimum Toronto even considers is a 125 (to be honest, a 125 CARS will likely automatically screen you out of most Ontario medical schools); your GPA is not low. Honestly, I think your best bet is to take a gap year and really work on getting that CARS score up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I graduated a few years ago from a two year BScN program after completing 4 years undergrad in BSc in Nutritional Sciences. I am currently self studying for the MCAT with plan to write in June and start my application for the upcoming application cycle. This will be my first time applying. I’ve always felt discouraged by my GPA and never thought it was competitive - esp since I will only qualify as IP for UBC. At this point, it'll come down to the MCAT, but are there other schools with the following stats I should consider?

 

GPA: I’ve been having trouble figuring my GPA conversion from percentage. I used the conversion from OMSAS, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Undergrad - completed all basic science courses, but didn’t do well in them:

1st year - 69.7% (2.70 or 3.00?)

2nd year - 81.3% (3.70)

3rd year - 80.2% (3.70)

4th year - 81.3% (3.70)

 

Accelerated Nursing program

3rd year - 84.7% (3.70 or 3.8?)

4th year 85.2% (3.8?)

 

Non academics

Work experience: RN for 3 years, work study library student in undergrad

Some research experience but never published (ie. research nurse, CIHR summer studentship grant, nutrition related research abroad)

EC: Hospital volunteer, LTC rehab volunteer, orientation coordinator, team lead in inner city school program, school club exec/president, student nurse rep, travelling/backpacking, community orchestra

Thank you in advance for your help!

 

Edited by ptRN
formating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2019 at 9:16 PM, ptRN said:

GPA: I’ve been having trouble figuring my GPA conversion from percentage. I used the conversion from OMSAS, please correct me if I’m wrong.

 

For the OMSAS conversion you have to convert each individual course to its corresponding GPA and average those. e.g. if you have 90% (4.0) in one course and 80% (3.7) in another, your GPA would be 3.85. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there, 

It's my first time posting here so pls bear with me if I don't know the right lingo. I'm a student in McMaster's research focused iSci program mentioning because I think this gives me an edge? maybe someone lmk if it does?.

Anyway as of the end of my second yr I have a: 

3.7 cGPA and my Science and Non-science should be same by the AMCAS scale 

I'm confident that by the next yr I'll have a

3.80 flat

Is a 3.80 still competitive with a 80th percentile MCAT for US schools? This is approx what I'm aiming and  I'm confident I can get if I apply early to low and mid tiers.

ALSO CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME IF 4TH YEAR GRADES EVEN MATTER IF YOU WANT TO ENROLL AFTER 4TH YR CUS WE SUBMIT OUR APPS IN EARLY MAY FOR US MD SCHOOLS AND JULY FOR CDN SCHOOLS?  

I'm a Canadian citizen 

My EC's are 

ALL SHADOWING WAS DONE IN INIDA:

OBGYN shadowing - 50 hrs

Anesthesiologist shadowing - 50 hrs

Family physican shadowing - 100 hrs

Ortho surgeon shadowing - 200 hrs

General surgeon - 150 hrs

Paediatric surgeon - 120 hrs

Multiple research projects and 2 undergrad conference presentations and one chapter published in an earth science book 

VP external of Indian Association 

Big sib program basically a mentor 

NOTE- I'm counting out Canadian schools for the most part because I don’t wanna wait until after 4th yr to apply cus then my 2Ygpa would be a lot better but I’d rather go to the US if I get in. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

something important that I hope people come across in the future - I had a 125 in CARS and received interviews to ubc and ottawa this year. Didn't go to ottawa - but will be finding out about ubc in two weeks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TheGreatAli said:

something important that I hope people come across in the future - I had a 125 in CARS and received interviews to ubc and ottawa this year. Didn't go to ottawa - but will be finding out about ubc in two weeks!

??????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 3:54 PM, PlasticSurg said:

?????? x 2 @ "didnt go to ottawa"

I have close to (~80% scholarship) a full ride at a prestigious US medical school. Couldn't see myself being in ottawa otherwise. Someone else would have valued the interview offer more - and so I declined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×