Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi,

I'd be glad to hear any feedback regarding my choices...

undergrad: Chemical Engineering UofT/Bioengineering Minor

Undergrad OMSAS GPA:3.7

Best two years: 3.85

MCAT: 32 S (PS 11/VR10/BS 11)

MaSc (june 2010) in Biomedical engineering, UofT (Average A, tho doesn't seem to matter much!)

Other stuff: NSERC, OGS, other scholarships, two national conference presentations, hospital volunteer, shadowing (I've shadowed my father, a cardiologist, is that okay or does it have to be someone unrelated?!), leadership positions on several school clubs, etc...

I'm picking UofT, Western, Ottawa, Queens in Ontario, and U of Calgary and Dalhousie outside ontario. Not too sure about my chances at Mac, they don't seem too receptive to non-traditionals. what do you guys think? do I have any odds in my favour?

much thanks!

What are my chances at UofT, and Mcmaster?

School: UofT. St. George

Program: Bachelor of Science, double major hmb + csb

Current Year: 3rd year applicant ( currently in 3rd yr )

cGPA: 3.97/4.00

MCAT: 32Q ( 9VR, 11 PS, 12 BS)

Extracurriculars: Volunteering in hospital, lifeguarding for 2 summers, piano grade 10, execs in two major clubs, research, lots of scholarships

Will the 9 in verbal hurt me at UofT? even tho they say MCAT is just a flag after you meet the cutoffs?

What are my chances at UofT, and Mcmaster?

School: UofT. St. George

Program: Bachelor of Science, Interdepartmental Honours in Immunology

Current Year: 3rd year applicant

cGPA: 3.97/4.00

MCAT: 32Q ( 9VR, 11 PS, 12 BS)

Extracurriculars: Volunteering in hospital, lifeguarding for 2 summers, piano grade 10, execs in two major clubs, research, lots of scholarships

Will the 9 in verbal hurt me at UofT? even tho they say MCAT is just a flag after you meet the cutoffs?

My understanding is that is won't, you hit the cuff off and have an excellent cGPA with a generally strong ECs etc. I am a little unclear as to whether you are going into your third year now, or have completed 3? Those a little later on in the process seem to be favoured by U of T, but that doesn't suggest you shouldn't apply!

reposting as I got no replies....:(

Can anyone comment on my chances at UofT, queens, and ottawa plz

Best two years: 3.77

MaSc (june 2010) in Biomedical engineering, UofT (Average A, tho doesn't seem to matter much!)

Other stuff: NSERC, OGS, other scholarships, two national conference presentations, hospital volunteer, shadowing (I've shadowed my father, a cardiologist, is that okay or does it have to be someone unrelated?!), leadership positions on several school clubs, etc...

any odds in my favour?

much thanks!

I just checked my MCAT score today: 29M (9PS, 9VR, M, 11BS).

A bit bummed out about the M. I'm wondering if this is good enough for UBC med. I'm pretty sure not acceptable for UoT though (I've checked their site). I volunteer for a few organizations & am in my 3rd yr @ UBC. Should I rewrite the MCAT? I might next summer, but I would love any suggestions or opinions!

Also, I'm considering asking for a rescore in my writing sample, but UBC requires the MCAT score to be submitted before Nov. 1. It takes 4 months to rescore my essays. If I release the score to UBC, will I still be able to get a rescore & UBC get the update?

reposting as I got no replies....:(

Can anyone comment on my chances at UofT, queens, and ottawa plz

Best two years: 3.77

any odds in my favour?

much thanks!

You have a shot at queens, and u of t if the formula can bring up beyond a 3.85 good luck. Ottawa would be a long shot unless you're from there.

I didn't get much info from another post so I wanted to know what anyone thought of my chances/ what the next step is for me to apply (ie: after 3rd year or wait till 4th; and where in Ontario I would have the best chance?)

GPAs

First year (full courseload): 3.3

Second year(semester 1: 1.5 credits):3.83

(semester 2: 2.0 credits):4.0

(summer semester:2 credits):3.97

Currently in 3rd year expecting similar grades to that of second...hopefully

I am writing the MCATs next summer, but honestly would love to get in somewhere where they weren't required... but I know that isn't too realistic.

Extra-curriculars: job shadowing at a local HIV treatment clinic (6 months, still working there), 2 years at a mental health hospital working with ED patients, creation of student parents networking site (currently in production) with the University of Guelph and a PhD student.

The reason my second year was "part-time" and spread out was due to a new baby that I had in May of last year. I was not aware of how much taking part-time studies was looked down upon by med schools until after second year, but am hoping it hasn't ruined my chances.

Any advice is appreciated!:)

Sorry, by "after third year or wait till fourth" I meant after third year or wait till AFTER fourth year. And I understand that most require 2 full years. Seeing as I had a full course load first year, and will have one third year I will qualify; but, should I wait until after fourth year to have a better gpa and more weight behind the amount of time I've spent full time in school (ie: the majority of it in full time studies), or do you think it will really matter so long as my gpa remains at almost a 4.0 in third year(if it actually does) regardless of having only two years of full time studies?

Hey,

Just wanted to see what people think I should do about the MCAT. I wrote this summer....

I'm IP in Calgary , 4th year BSc, undergrad is in Psychology (honours).

cGPA is 3.77, MCAT is 28S (8ps-9vr-11bs). I think I should re-write, but I put so much effort into it already... I dont want to risk getting lower than this! Really disappointed with PS though.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

Hey,

Just wanted to see what people think I should do about the MCAT. I wrote this summer....

I'm IP in Calgary , 4th year BSc, undergrad is in Psychology (honours).

cGPA is 3.77, MCAT is 28S (8ps-9vr-11bs). I think I should re-write, but I put so much effort into it already... I dont want to risk getting lower than this! Really disappointed with PS though.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

I would rewrite, the 8 in ps i think will hurt you. everyone puts effort in writing the Mcat-at least as far as I know- and so many write more than once. Give yourself a few month to go over the ps again, try a new practice book or sth. I know that for me, writing the second time made tremendous difference. I studied from january to april, got a 27 then from april to august I focused on the bio which I'd gotten 7 in, wrote in august got a 32. If you're already doing well on the bio, and okayish on the verbal, you should really go for it again....

Hi everybody,

Just wondering about my odds for Uottawa (& NOSM...only 2 schools I am intested):

Ontario resident

OMSAS WGPA (last 3yrs): 3.82 (Honours BSc Molecular Biology at MAC)

Currently: Final year Ph.D. In Molecular Genetics at U of T

At least 4 publications in peer reviewed journals in high impact journals. Several abstracts and talks at conferences.

Awards:Several scholarships, including a full 3 year one from Canadian Cancer society.

Extracurricular: Volunteering in a sexual health clinic, admin vol for support society for people with aphasia, supervision of new graduate students (among others).

I'm only nervous about the GPA cut off since I'm not from Ottawa, but still in province. I'm thinking the rest of the application probably won't be looked at at all even if I'm short of the cutoff even by a 1/100th of point.

Any thoughts would help.

Hi everybody,

Just wondering about my odds for Uottawa (& NOSM...only 2 schools I am intested):

Ontario resident

OMSAS WGPA (last 3yrs): 3.82 (Honours BSc Molecular Biology at MAC)

Currently: Final year Ph.D. In Molecular Genetics at U of T

At least 4 publications in peer reviewed journals in high impact journals. Several abstracts and talks at conferences.

Awards:Several scholarships, including a full 3 year one from Canadian Cancer society.

Extracurricular: Volunteering in a sexual health clinic, admin vol for support society for people with aphasia, supervision of new graduate students (among others).

I'm only nervous about the GPA cut off since I'm not from Ottawa, but still in province. I'm thinking the rest of the application probably won't be looked at at all even if I'm short of the cutoff even by a 1/100th of point.

Any thoughts would help.

You're right about the cutoffs being strict. But I you'd most likely meet the Ottawa GPA cutoff (variable each year depending on strength of applicants). I'm OOP (Nova Scotia), and during the last application cycle our cutoff was ~3.86, and I remember that the IP cutoff was 3.7-something.

I'm not sure about NOSM because I'm from a metropolitan area, so I never bothered looking up their information.

Unfortunately, Ottawa just recently stopped considering applicants with graduate degrees in a seperate pool, so your extra years and degrees won't enhance your application too much anymore.

Sigh....looks like my only shot at getting in this year is at Ottawa (IP, not from Ottawa)...sigh, 30S MCAT, but 8 in VR

How do I look for getting into Ottawa?

wGPA

3.93 (3.94, 3.94, 3.92)

Currently

-Working as a research analyst at the University Health Network (clinical research, full time)

-staff trainer for the City of Toronto (I run the inservices for part time workers)

-swimming teacher (private lessons)

-aquatics supervisor (i.e. pool manager, working casually right now)

-casually working for a prof helping her manager her courses.

Volunteer exp

-physiotherapy assistant for 5 years (over 350 hours)

-ER volunteer (worst volunteer exp ever, just did it for 2 months, 50 hours total)

-volunteered in a classroom for children who had autism, working with teachers, OT's, PT's, psychologists, SLP's with the kids

-volunteer SLP assistant

Awards

-Ontario Volunteer Service Award (for volunteering 5 years at this one rehab hospital)

-Dean's Honour Roll

-graduated Summa Cum Laude

-Volunteer award for my last volunteer position (Caring, Committed, Consistent volunteer award)

Research

-my 4th year independent project - manuscript and poster presentation (my prof said she'd help me publish it if I wanted to pursue that ... not really, but it is a nice thought)

-my 2nd year independent project - manuscript and poster presentation (my prof also said she would help me publish this if I wanted, but can't fully fund the publication, so I don't think I could afford to); my results were used for a poster presentation submission for the SRCD (but the poster got rejected)

-lots of volunteer RA work

Interests

-learning how to speak Chinese

-learning to play guitar

-I personally train a couple of friends, and I have a full workout routine involving weight lifting/yoga/taekwondo/swimming/running

-chess (I beat an IM once :D albeit in a 1 minute game)

-lots of sports (indoors, outdoors, organized and recreational)

-playing Rock Band with my friends (we have a video game band :D ) <-- maybe I should have included this in my app, heh

---

Sigh...I will rewrite the MCAT though. But for Ottawa, how does that look? I hope to get an interview, then rock the socks off the interviewers :(

Sounds like you have the body of volunteer work on top of the GPA that interests them. Chances are very good for an interview. As a suggestion last year the Ottawa med students hosted a volunteer interview practice session that was very, very useful - I think they were hoping to do it again and if so jump on it.

Good chances for this year, but worst case (I know this is a pain of course) you reapply next year with your new higher MCAT and you will be in a good shape for all the schools - not a bad fall back position. You have a solid foundation to work from which is great.

Sigh....looks like my only shot at getting in this year is at Ottawa (IP, not from Ottawa)...sigh, 30S MCAT, but 8 in VR

How do I look for getting into Ottawa?

wGPA

3.93 (3.94, 3.94, 3.92)

Currently

-Working as a research analyst at the University Health Network (clinical research, full time)

Hey shannn, I sent you a PM.

shannn buddy they'd be foolish not to grant you that interview. I'm sure you'll get into Ottawa this year.

Sounds like you have the body of volunteer work on top of the GPA that interests them. Chances are very good for an interview. As a suggestion last year the Ottawa med students hosted a volunteer interview practice session that was very, very useful - I think they were hoping to do it again and if so jump on it.

Good chances for this year, but worst case (I know this is a pain of course) you reapply next year with your new higher MCAT and you will be in a good shape for all the schools - not a bad fall back position. You have a solid foundation to work from which is great.

Thanks for the encouraging words (HBP and rmorelan), just really dissapointed in myself over the MCAT.

Hopefully I do get an interview at Ottawa and own that interview.

• 1 month later...

IF these were my stats:

U of Calgary - Mechanical Engineering with Biomedical specialization:

Year 1: 2.85

Year 2: 3.19

Year 3: 3.13

Year 4: 3.38

Year 5: 4.0

MCAT: 34Q (14-9-11)

Course-based Masters: 4.0

EC's: 2 summers Research, one publication, NSERC x2, AHMFR, 1 year hospital volunteering, 1 year tutoring. 1 year working in Switzerland (internship), LOTS of travelling, LOTS of sports including marathons.

I'm not expecting much but what would my chances be at UofC or UofA or anywhere in Canada? Thanks!

IF these were my stats:

U of Calgary - Mechanical Engineering with Biomedical specialization:

Year 1: 2.85

Year 2: 3.19

Year 3: 3.13

Year 4: 3.38

Year 5: 4.0

MCAT: 34Q (14-9-11)

Course-based Masters: 4.0

EC's: 2 summers Research, one publication, NSERC x2, AHMFR, 1 year hospital volunteering, 1 year tutoring. 1 year working in Switzerland (internship), LOTS of travelling, LOTS of sports including marathons.

I'm not expecting much but what would my chances be at UofC or UofA or anywhere in Canada? Thanks!

That GPA makes you ineligible for pretty much everywhere. You'll make min cutoffs for interviews at U of C, but once all of your grades are considered post-interview, I don't think you'll make the cut. Any OOP school is definitely not a possibility.

For U of A, do you have the following prerequs? These are taken directly from the U of A website:

PREREQUISITE COURSES

Full year equivalents (six transferable units of course weight) in each of:

* General Chemistry (may include Inorganic Chemistry)

o IB Chemistry (HL) with a grade of 6 or 7 is equivalent to a half year course - need to complete another half year General Chemistry to meet our requirement.

o AP Chemistry students can apply to write a Credit by Special Assessment examination equivalent to half year 1XX course - need to complete another half year Chemistry course to meet our requirement.

* Organic Chemistry

* Biology

o ( may include Microbiology, Zoology, Genetics, Botany, Physiology, Bacteriology, Immunology, Entomology) .

o IB Biology (HL) with a grade of 6 or 7 is equivalent to a half year course - need to complete another half year Biology to meet our requirement.

o AP Biology with a grade of 4 or 5 is equivalent to a half year course - need to complete another half year Biology to meet our requirement.

* Physics

o U of A Students: Physics 114 does NOT meet our physics requirement..

o UBC Students: Physics 100 does NOT meet our physics requirement.

o IB Physics (HL) with a grade of 6 or 7 is equivalent to a full year and does meet our Physics requirement.

o IB Physics (SL) with a grade of 6 or 7 is equivalent to a half year - need to completely another half year of Physicals to meet our requirement.

o AP Physics B and AP Physics C with a grade of 4 or 5 is equivalent to a full year and will meet the Physics requirement

o Astronomy, Astrology or Music & High Fidelity will NOT meet the Physics requirement.

* English

o English courses offered by the Department of English. Preference for one full year of English Literature courses, or one half year of English Literature and one half year of English Composition (DOES NOT include Classics, History or Philosophy). Ontario Residents: Grade 13 or OAC English DOES NOT fulfill the English requirement.

o IB English (HL) with a grade of 6 or 7 is equivalent to a full year and does meet our English requirement.

Half-year equivalents (three units of course weight) in each of:

* Statistics:

o AP Statistics with a grade of 4 or 5 is equivalent to half year statistics and does meet our Statistics requirement.

* Biochemistry (Introductory)

o Where possible, students are encouraged to take a full year Biochemistry course when continuing in a degree program.

Your MCAT is slightly above average, but the grades are far below average for U of A. These are the averages for all entering students to U of A last year, 85% of which were Albertan students

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/UME/admissions/dofm_stats.cfm

Basically, I don't think medicine is a possibility for you.