Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Well you clearly got your answer. This isn't for you only, but others also: PEOPLE, STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT MED THINKS OF YOU!! If you enjoy doing stuff, then do them. If not, then don't. I've had multiple research positions all over and volunteering places have never been more than 2 years each. I think it'll hurt my chances that I don't "commit", but I see undergrad as my time to learn about all the things that interest me. I can say I've enjoyed and learned more than most people, and its because I didn't "worry about being with the same research lab for a good reference letter or cause it looked good". Some people stick with one because they enjoy it a lot but some people stay for the looking-good aspect.

Message: do what you love and learn as much as you can so you don't regret not getting enough experience in undergrad before you get into med.

Yeah I am definitely trying to stick with doing things I like to do, which is why I quit my first year ECs/volunteer. I'm just wondering, since I quit some of the ECs/volunteering I've been doing after a semester in first year, would it be bad to include those in my application? Or could they still reflect positively on me depending on what I learned about myself from the experiences? I ask this because other people have ECs/volunteering that they've been doing for over a few years (whether or not they like it) and I feel like that gives them a definite advantage over someone like me who is quitting their EC/volunteering after a semester and moving onto other things..

Also, could someone tell me whether or not I could include playing competitive soccer for over 7 years? I have stopped playing since beginning undergrad because injuries forced me to; if I could play again I would love to, but I don't know if I physically can. I'm wondering if I could use my injury to my advantage? Like, I've been unable to play soccer and other sports, but if I demonstrate how I've persevered through the hardships to get back to playing, would that look very positively to the admissions committee?

Lastly, I was wondering how much clinical experience we need. Do we even need clinical experience at all? I am hearing varied thoughts and opinions. I volunteered for a semester at a specialized spinal-cord rehabilitation center (where we help them maintain an active lifestyle/rehab), would that count as "clinical" experience? Or does it have to be in a hospital setting.

I really just want you guys to give your opinions/thoughts. I know you're not the admissions committee and no one really knows what they want, but I want to hear from those more experienced/well-versed with this stuff than me.

Yeah I am definitely trying to stick with doing things I like to do, which is why I quit my first year ECs/volunteer. I'm just wondering, since I quit some of the ECs/volunteering I've been doing after a semester in first year, would it be bad to include those in my application? Or could they still reflect positively on me depending on what I learned about myself from the experiences? I ask this because other people have ECs/volunteering that they've been doing for over a few years (whether or not they like it) and I feel like that gives them a definite advantage over someone like me who is quitting their EC/volunteering after a semester and moving onto other things..

Also, could someone tell me whether or not I could include playing competitive soccer for over 7 years? I have stopped playing since beginning undergrad because injuries forced me to; if I could play again I would love to, but I don't know if I physically can. I'm wondering if I could use my injury to my advantage? Like, I've been unable to play soccer and other sports, but if I demonstrate how I've persevered through the hardships to get back to playing, would that look very positively to the admissions committee?

Lastly, I was wondering how much clinical experience we need. Do we even need clinical experience at all? I am hearing varied thoughts and opinions. I volunteered for a semester at a specialized spinal-cord rehabilitation center (where we help them maintain an active lifestyle/rehab), would that count as "clinical" experience? Or does it have to be in a hospital setting.

I really just want you guys to give your opinions/thoughts. I know you're not the admissions committee and no one really knows what they want, but I want to hear from those more experienced/well-versed with this stuff than me.

Personally, I think that these experiences guided you through this process. If anything, use them to show everyone how this changed who you are and what you enjoy doing. There should be no shame in sharing that. If you are truly genuine in your path, then I'm sure it will show. Good luck with everything!

Graduated this year. I would really appreciate your input in schools I'm not familiar with. I tried to do my research but am not sure on Ottawa/Mcgill/Dalhousie

IP at BC , Alberta

Year 1: 3.43 (37 credits)

Year 2: 3.93 (30 credits)

Year 3: 3.97 (27 credits)

Year 4: 3.96 (24 credits)

cGPA: 3.75

MCAT 9PS / 10 VR / 12 BS / Q

2nd try: 12 PS / 8 VR / 11 BS

-Re-writing this summer to aim for 11 VR (hopefully....)

EC:

4 Club activity (president + co-president + etc) 2~4 years each

3 Research experience (no pub, running GC-MS/PCR/mass spec) 1 full year + summer + systematic review (has abstract, no pub yet)

held job since 14 years old (managerial level)

volunteer at 3 different places for 2-3 years (with homeless/disabled/middle-aged women)

lots of recreational sport

TA at the university for 1 year (paid work)

My NAQ for last cycle at UBC was 36/50 (which was above average).

Schools I've looked into are:

UBC/Calgary/Alberta - for sure

Queens (my MCAT may be borderline.. what was the cutoff this year?)

UWO (if I get 11+ VR)

Ottawa (wGPA is 3.96)

McMaster (I'm not sure what OOP GPA/MCAT cutoff is)

UofT (not eligible for wGPA so no...)

McGill/Dalhousie/Saskatchewan/Manitoba (Have no idea.. )

Your last two years might not count at Ottawa since they're not full course loads, so don't know how exactly your GPA will be calculated there. You also can't apply to Western since you only have 1 full course load year above 3.7, so you might not need to rewrite that MCAT because you can't apply there anyways. And you need 36+ MCAT for Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Hi so I got a bit of an issue here. I've recently finished my 2nd year at an Ontario Uni and my gpa is a bit whacky.

My first year i finished with a 2.03 on the 4 scale, for various reasons like adjusting to living away from home and overly enjoying my freedom (yes it was a mistake I know).

My 2nd year however was much better getting about a 3.8.

My extra curriculars involve: playing and being involved in music for almost 15 years (decent playing ability of 4 instruments, toured europe with music department in high school)

-being part of the alzheimer's society at my uni and helping host the events

-playing soccer at various levels for 15 years (made OFSAA in high school twice, was captain one of those years) injuries prevented me from going for varsity, but I've been playing at an intramural level

-Last summer and this summer volunteering at a hospital, helping out with a clinical study on cervical spondylotic myelopathy (lots of patient exposure)

-next year I will be working with a neuropathologist as part of a research practicum for a semester

-potential co-op for 2nd semester and summer next year (ill find out tmmrw about this)

-working 3 years in a fast paced retail environment (costco)

-volunteering at my high-schools science department supervising labs and helping students

Im writing my MCAT this august so hopefully that works out well. I don't plan to apply until my 4th year for obvious reasons. I know i have to keep getting marks similar and better to those I got last semester, but I'm hoping that someone could comment on what extra curricular improvements I could have. Thanks a lot!

Hi so I got a bit of an issue here. I've recently finished my 2nd year at an Ontario Uni and my gpa is a bit whacky.

My first year i finished with a 2.03 on the 4 scale, for various reasons like adjusting to living away from home and overly enjoying my freedom (yes it was a mistake I know).

My extra curriculars involve: playing and being involved in music for almost 15 years (decent playing ability of 4 instruments, toured europe with music department in high school)

-playing soccer at various levels for 15 years (made OFSAA in high school twice, was captain one of those years) injuries prevented me from going for varsity, but I've been playing at an intramural level

-Last summer and this summer volunteering at a hospital, helping out with a clinical study on cervical spondylotic myelopathy (lots of patient exposure)

-next year I will be working with a neuropathologist as part of a research practicum for a semester

-potential co-op for 2nd semester and summer next year (ill find out tmmrw about this)

-volunteering at my high-schools science department supervising labs and helping students

Im writing my MCAT this august so hopefully that works out well. I don't plan to apply until my 4th year for obvious reasons. I know i have to keep getting marks similar and better to those I got last semester, but I'm hoping that someone could comment on what extra curricular improvements I could have. Thanks a lot!

Great ECs for a 2nd year, you're fortunate to have music and sports from a young age. Since your first year wasn't good, I'd suggest you work your bum off these next few years and even consider writing MCAT next year. That way you can see how your marks stand and you can use your MCAT scores for universities that remove your lowest years (UofA, UofC, etc.). Don't rush into MCAT because it'll change since you have a better shot later on. Keep up your ECs, get the marks up, and think of how you can plan out your undergrad so you have more options later. That first year may be tough to deal with but you can use policies of some schools to eliminate that.

Great ECs for a 2nd year, you're fortunate to have music and sports from a young age. Since your first year wasn't good, I'd suggest you work your bum off these next few years and even consider writing MCAT next year. That way you can see how your marks stand and you can use your MCAT scores for universities that remove your lowest years (UofA, UofC, etc.). Don't rush into MCAT because it'll change since you have a better shot later on. Keep up your ECs, get the marks up, and think of how you can plan out your undergrad so you have more options later. That first year may be tough to deal with but you can use policies of some schools to eliminate that.

thank you! :)

As said before me, your first year shouldn't be an issue if you continue to have an upward trend on your GPA. Just a tip - if you're planning to apply in your 4th year, I suggest not doing the MCAT this August as the next application cycle will be the last year many schools will accept the 2014 version of the MCAT. I suggest using this summer to up your ECs by doing things you enjoy. Cheers.

Hi, do you know what schools look at 2014 mcat for 2016 cycle? For ontario? Sorry for hijacking but my GPA is mediocre and have close to no ECs and am already wasting this summer for the MCAT (which, according to you, won't even be looked at by the time i'm applying?!!). I feel like I'm doing everything wrong -_-

I heard most ontario schools will and will give notice if they change it. ubc will as well. uofa and uofc are out after this coming cycle. if you have close to no ECs, why even bother writing mcat and worrying about applying? focus on those, get your marks up during the year, try to throw in some ECs that you enjoy, and consider applying when you are confident that you will get in.

Take your time and do some self-reflection. How many years do I need to get an competitive GPA? What do I enjoy a lot that I can get involved in this summer, as well as not compromise my marks during the year? When would taking the MCAT be optimal for me? We live in such a rushed culture. Focus on your own path and look into applying when you "feel like you're doing everything RIGHT" :D

So I got into the Co-op program, and I was wondering if I should pursue it. It could potentially give me more experience in the working in the health field (which I really enjoy), but It will push me back a year so Id finish in 5. I'd really like it if you guys would help me figure out the pros and cons to this. It makes me take 2 half years (i.e 3rd year first semester academic, 2nd semester and summer work term, 5th year summer, 1 st semester work term and 2nd semester academic and grad). Does that affect any of the schools that want full time course work?

I just finished first year & kind of want to see if I'm on the right track.

GPA: 3.87, 86% average (I know it's bad, but I know exactly where I went wrong. It was the extra stress of being away from home & I let that affect me too much. I didn't retain anything while studying because I spent so much time freaking out & being afraid I was going to fail. Most important thing I learned in 1st year: fear will kill your grades. Next year will most definitely be better because I finally know what I'm doing.

MCAT: writing next summer - I took 1st year psych, should I take sociology as well to better prepare for it?

ECs: Active member of 3 clubs with some leadership roles & more substantial exec positions for next year, hospital volunteer, lab volunteer, tutor volunteer, just some stuff from high school that I'm continuing, job in residence for next year

If I can bring up my GPA (which I know I can), will I be on the right track?

Thank you!

I just finished first year & kind of want to see if I'm on the right track.

GPA: 3.87, 86% average (I know it's bad, but I know exactly where I went wrong. It was the extra stress of being away from home & I let that affect me too much. I didn't retain anything while studying because I spent so much time freaking out & being afraid I was going to fail. Most important thing I learned in 1st year: fear will kill your grades. Next year will most definitely be better because I finally know what I'm doing.

MCAT: writing next summer - I took 1st year psych, should I take sociology as well to better prepare for it?

ECs: Active member of 3 clubs with some leadership roles & more substantial exec positions for next year, hospital volunteer, lab volunteer, tutor volunteer, just some stuff from high school that I'm continuing, job in residence for next year

If I can bring up my GPA (which I know I can), will I be on the right track?

Thank you!

im not sure why you think a 3.87 is bad.

So reposting my previous question.... Does anyone know if taking a co-op in a potential health field would benefit me?

It could hurt you if you do any co-op terms during the September to April sessions, which is fairly common. Many med schools won't consider those years full time, to my understanding.

I am a 4th year applicant in Ontario looking to apply at all Ontario schools except NOSM. I will still need to take organic chemistry in order to apply to Ottawa.

I wrote the MCAT for the first time in August 2013 > scored 12PS/8VR/12BS. VR is not my strongest area so I have been practising quite a bit and I will be rewriting in July.

I have a full course load every year thus far

cGPA = 3.85

1st year GPA = 3.69

2nd year GPA = 3.95

3rd year GPA = 3.92

McMaster cGPA = 3.85

Queen’s 2 yr = 3.94

Western 2 yr = 3.94

Ottawa weighted GPA = 3.89

EC's:

University

-Mentored 2 first year students

Sports

-Coached soccer and hockey for 3 years

-Soccer Referee for 8 years - doing high level games

-Played Competitive Tennis for 2 years

-Medical Trainer for 2 years on a U18 boys competitive team

Healthcare

-Emergency Department Volunteer (~1000 hours)- I also help hire/coordinate/train volunteers between my university and local healthcare system. I’ll have a strong reference from an RN

-Critical Care Student Leader during hospital move

-Emergency Department Quality Improvement student on an interdisciplinary health care team

Employment

-Front Desk Clerk for 5 years at a large hotel in a tourist city

Law Enforcement

-Ontario Provincial Police Auxiliary Constable (500 hours). I have done a dozen other volunteer activities as part of this position but I am not sure if I should list them as separate entries on my application.

Research

-Presented a poster on Emergency Department Flow (1st author) at a Health Quality Conference. My supervisor believes I can get a publication in BMJ Quality at the end of 4th year but this won’t help for the current application cycle,

Other

-Tutored high school kids for 2 years

-Wrote for a health magazine (2 years and 2 articles)

-Helped organize a used phone drive to send cell phones to medical workers in Africa

-Volunteered for a public lecture held by a medical school

-Shadowed a general surgeon

-References will likely be an RN, a professor and possibly an MD

My major concerns are what MCAT score I should be aiming for (probably 10PS 11VR 12BS?) and if I stand enough of a chance at Ottawa with my GPA and ECs that taking organic chem will be worth it (orgo is a notorious GPA killer at my school).

Thanks for any input

You make the official cutoff of 3.85 for UofO, however realistically you need closer to 3.9. You are sitting at 3.89 so you would be borderline. Personally if you think you can get an A in orgo then i would do it, if not it would be still a gamble but you are so close to that 3.9 that I would still take it in order to open the door to another school. You could be pleasantly surprised!

Hello everyone,

Please let me know what my chances are. Do I have a chance of getting in if I apply for 2015? I'm also thinking about doing my masters and then applying to med school. Would this be a better option? Any advice would be valuable! I'm also rewriting my MCAT this year.

GPA:

First year: 3.96

Second year: 3.78

Third year: 3.69

Fourth: 3.76

MCAT:

Verbal: 8

Physical: 12

Biological: 11

I know I must improve my Verbal score so I'm going to rewrite it in September.

ECs

Decent amount of research experience - two publications (one first author and the other second author)

NSERC Award

Hospital Volunteer in the Mental Health/Palliative Care Ward (200 hours)

Taught summer school as an Educational Assistant to high school students

I volunteer at a local soup kitchen

Served as an executive in a couple of clubs

Thank you.

Hello everyone,

Please let me know what my chances are. Do I have a chance of getting in if I apply for 2015? I'm also thinking about doing my masters and then applying to med school. Would this be a better option? Any advice would be valuable! I'm also rewriting my MCAT this year.

GPA:

First year: 3.96

Second year: 3.78

Third year: 3.69

Fourth: 3.76

MCAT:

Verbal: 8

Physical: 12

Biological: 11

I know I must improve my Verbal score so I'm going to rewrite it in September.

ECs

Decent amount of research experience - two publications (one first author and the other second author)

NSERC Award

Hospital Volunteer in the Mental Health/Palliative Care Ward (200 hours)

Taught summer school as an Educational Assistant to high school students

I volunteer at a local soup kitchen

Served as an executive in a couple of clubs

Thank you.

I'd say it really depends on where you're applying from and which schools you're applying. Your GPA and ECs to me are pretty decent and if you manage to improve that verbal score, I would say you'd make a good applicant for some schools but perhaps not the top tier ones (ie. Toronto, McGill, etc).