Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

I took biochem/orgo in my first undergrad, so I was somewhat familiar with the material despite doing very poorly. Are you in nursing too?

Yup although I did take gen chem in the summer. Took the MCAT last year and got a 127/125/126/128. Studying for the sciences was absolutely brutal man... (the amount of times I thought to myself - should've majored in bio or some science degree instead of nursing lol)

• 1 month later...

MCAT: 518 (129/127/130/132)

Really worried about CARS holding me back. I'm an Ontario resident and don't really know if it's worth rewriting for one section that is borderline for most schools. My GPA is currently at a 3.87 but should be higher next cycle once it includes my 4th year marks. Thoughts?

MCAT: 518 (129/127/130/132)

Really worried about CARS holding me back. I'm an Ontario resident and don't really know if it's worth rewriting for one section that is borderline for most schools. My GPA is currently at a 3.87 but should be higher next cycle once it includes my 4th year marks. Thoughts?

How long did you prep for CARS the first time around? It depends on if you think you'll be able to improve, and which schools you want to get into. If you want Mac and uOttawa, then you'll need to either rewrite or have an amazing CASPer. I'm not too sure about the other provinces, but Calgary also weighs CARS heavily, and you'd be disadvantaged as OOP.

Yeah, Ontario residency....... Basically, consider whether you think a 127 is the best you could do, and whether you would improve with more studying. And also how long it's been since you've touched a physics/biochem/physiology etc textbook (whether your stellar scores in the other sections would be negatively impacted).

How long did you prep for CARS the first time around? It depends on if you think you'll be able to improve, and which schools you want to get into. If you want Mac and uOttawa, then you'll need to either rewrite or have an amazing CASPer. I'm not too sure about the other provinces, but Calgary also weighs CARS heavily, and you'd be disadvantaged as OOP.

Yeah, Ontario residency....... Basically, consider whether you think a 127 is the best you could do, and whether you would improve with more studying. And also how long it's been since you've touched a physics/biochem/physiology etc textbook (whether your stellar scores in the other sections would be negatively impacted).

Just wanted to add that Ottawa does not look at the MCAT at all. 

I did my MCAT last summer to get 131/128/131/128. It sounds crazy that I'd want to redo it but I spent a total of 5 days for CARS prep and I feel like it's holding me back. Is it worthwhile to redo the MCAT just for the CARS?

No I don't think I would redo it unless you are very sure you could easily get all the same scores for the other sections. The only place this score is holding you back is most likely Western, depending on your gpa...

129/125/128/125 

No interviews this round.. GPA is 3.95

I know I should be re-taking it to increase my chances at Mac/Queens/Western, but I'm so tired and burnt out at this point that I kind of want to just take a year off , re-apply in September hoping for Toronto/Ottawa, and then just re-write next year if I don't get in again... Any thoughts on this? 

129/125/128/125

No interviews this round.. GPA is 3.95

I know I should be re-taking it to increase my chances at Mac/Queens/Western, but I'm so tired and burnt out at this point that I kind of want to just take a year off , re-apply in September hoping for Toronto/Ottawa, and then just re-write next year if I don't get in again... Any thoughts on this?

Depends on how much of a hurry you're in. If you don't need to get in this year, I'd advise not doing the MCAT because it's a huge commitment that requires lots of attention.

That being said, you have a great chance at Ottawa with that GPA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

3.89 and 515- 127/128/131/129 considering a rewrite for Western alone. I had interviews this year but I realized that my pre interview scores are quite low for the schools I was given because of my lack of ECs (barely made the interview cutoff for Calgary). Western and Mac are my best shots realistically and next cycle I'm only applying to Mac Western and UofT after reflecting on other factors in my life. Any alternative opinions?

Recently got my score and am wondering if it's competitive for the upcoming cycle:

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 129/125/129/131

I am concerned that the 125 is going to hurt me :\

Thoughts?

If you plan to go to a Canadian med school, I think you will need to rewrite unless you apply just to schools that don't look at the mcat at all... and you would probably be ok at U of T. The rest of schools that use the mcat will require a higher CARS. If you would consider going to the US, I think your mcat score would be competitive there. Good luck! 

Hey everyone!

Debating whether or not I should re-write the MCAT this summer. My only concern is that I wrote it two summers ago and I'm working full time as part of my Master's so I'm worried about doing worse and messing up my chances for next cycle. I'm an Ontario resident. 

Score: 511

(Chem/Physics) 128 

(CARS) 126

(Bio) 127

(Psych) 130

cGPA: 3.93

Any thoughts on this? Thank you!

• 5 months later...

508 (129/125/127/127) 

GPA- 3.9+

Hoping I could scrape by with that CARS score but didn't get any interviews last year.  This was my third MCAT attempt and I seem to go up one point every time, with big fluctuations in every section except CARS.  First writing was 506, second was 507.  Have had a 129 in every section but never more than 126 CARS and apparently never in the same writing. Should I rewrite for the fourth time? I'm out of school this year so I could start now and devote many months of studying to it.

57 minutes ago, futureMD95 said:

508 (129/125/127/127) 

GPA- 3.9+

Hoping I could scrape by with that CARS score but didn't get any interviews last year.  This was my third MCAT attempt and I seem to go up one point every time, with big fluctuations in every section except CARS.  First writing was 506, second was 507.  Have had a 129 in every section but never more than 126 CARS and apparently never in the same writing. Should I rewrite for the fourth time? I'm out of school this year so I could start now and devote many months of studying to it.

If you're applying in Ontario, I wouldn't be surprised if your CARS score is holding you back from many of your options. I think you would have a much easier time if you improved it, although since you already took it three times you might want to assess your situation a little more before diving in. How have you been preparing for CARS in the past, and do you think you could dedicate a few months to just honing your CARS skills? From what I know, schools only look at your latest take, but I don't know if you'll be penalized in some way for taking it more than 3/4 times, so definitely look into that as well. Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, syncbag said:

508 the first time (126 CARS)

515 (128/127/129/131) the second attempt

cGPA: 3.92

Ontario. 

I wouldn't rewrite. Unless you can get CARS up even more.

You meet the cutoffs for UofT and it appears Queens as well (in the invite thread everyone had at least a 126ish in each section and you have an overall score that is in line with those invited). You have a good cGPA so combined with a 127 CARS, CASPer is key. Ottawa doesn't look at the MCAT so you're fine in that way. The only school you're ineligible for is Western. You could try applying to schools outside of Ontario as well if you look at their requirements.

Honestly, I'd say your best bet is focusing on your EC's and CASPer in the meantime. Pursue things you like and unique experiences to set you apart. Your GPA and MCAT are good, now it's just about standing out from the crowd.

It takes an average of 3 application cycles to get into Canada, so don't give up!! :)