Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

On 3/25/2018 at 7:06 PM, syncbag said:

even if I already have 2 attempts? 

I would research into the schools you plan on applying to. Do they look at highest score, or most recent (is it worth a risk to retake?) The schools I applied to looked at highest, so it didn't matter that I wrote mine 4 times haha! 

I went in with 522 and a 3.8 with no interviews anywhere but Queens so it could be worth a shot trying if you're not applying somewhere that looks at most recent score (and you're worried about dropping). 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I really conflicted about rewriting. 

MCAT: 510: 126/127/129/128 (second attempt, previous was 499) 

cGPA: 3.6 
2YrGPA: 3.9 

I know that im not qualified for Western due to the CARs cut-off, Queens I might have a shot and Mac/Ottawa are out of the question. Toronto i dont have quite the best GPA. I feel like re-writing can open more options for me, but I don't know if I can get higher on CARS. Thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2018 at 10:55 AM, drager said:

Hi, I really conflicted about rewriting. 

MCAT: 510: 126/127/129/128 (second attempt, previous was 499) 

cGPA: 3.6 
2YrGPA: 3.9 

I know that im not qualified for Western due to the CARs cut-off, Queens I might have a shot and Mac/Ottawa are out of the question. Toronto i dont have quite the best GPA. I feel like re-writing can open more options for me, but I don't know if I can get higher on CARS. Thanks in advance. 

Hi!

Since you meet the minimum MCAT for quite a few schools and given the current time in this cycle, I wouldn’t recommend rewriting.

If you still have been mulling over rewriting at this point and time I’d say it is a little late to start. With a little over a month left in this year’s testing cycle, it is difficult to expect a score improvement in this time (should you decide to start now). If you have started studying earlier this summer, that is a different story.

Do you still have another year of undergrad ahead of you? If so, focus on improving your GPA to continue that upward trend should you have to apply the next cycle. You also mentioned that uOttawa is out of the question; however is your GPA significantly improved by their upward trend weighing? As for Toronto, are you not eligible for the wGPA consideration?

Regardless, with a 2yr GPA of 3.9 and a 127 CARS that also opens up the possibility of schools in other provinces in the current cycle like uAlberta and uCalgary, which will ignore the GPA of your worst year. Keep in mind that uAlberta also requires CASPer.

As others before you have said, I’d avoid rewriting as your time could be better used to improve your EC’s and application. Don’t omit the possibility of applying out of province!

Best of luck!

===========================

Tim

MCAT Instructor

Princeton Review

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/14/2018 at 3:21 PM, curlin said:

Second attempt 515 (128/131/129/127)

Psych seems to be my worst subject, did Kaplan books...

Will this hold me back?

ur cars is stellar. It won't be significant but obviously, some schools who look at the MCAT wholistically will take it into consideration but not a reason to rewrite 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:31 PM, PrincetonReviewPreMed said:

Hi!

Since you meet the minimum MCAT for quite a few schools and given the current time in this cycle, I wouldn’t recommend rewriting.

If you still have been mulling over rewriting at this point and time I’d say it is a little late to start. With a little over a month left in this year’s testing cycle, it is difficult to expect a score improvement in this time (should you decide to start now). If you have started studying earlier this summer, that is a different story.

Do you still have another year of undergrad ahead of you? If so, focus on improving your GPA to continue that upward trend should you have to apply the next cycle. You also mentioned that uOttawa is out of the question; however is your GPA significantly improved by their upward trend weighing? As for Toronto, are you not eligible for the wGPA consideration?

Regardless, with a 2yr GPA of 3.9 and a 127 CARS that also opens up the possibility of schools in other provinces in the current cycle like uAlberta and uCalgary, which will ignore the GPA of your worst year. Keep in mind that uAlberta also requires CASPer.

As others before you have said, I’d avoid rewriting as your time could be better used to improve your EC’s and application. Don’t omit the possibility of applying out of province!

Best of luck!

===========================

Tim

MCAT Instructor

Princeton Review

I was just wondering what the procedure is if you graduate in a different province and want to come back to Ontario to practice? what needs to be done? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Third time applicant here. Done everything I think I could possibly do (plenty of well-rounded ECs, professional experience, Master's degree) short of rewriting my MCAT to compensate for GPA (cGPA: 3.63, 2 year: 3.81). My scores have expired for the US, so I'm thinking it's probably time to rewrite in the summer if there's no dice this cycle. Would love to hear some second opinions though.

MCAT Total: 512

Phys/Chem: 127

CARS: 126

Bio: 130

Psych: 129

Thanks in advance!

23 minutes ago, PopShoppe said:

Hey all, 

Third time applicant here. Done everything I think I could possibly do (plenty of well-rounded ECs, professional experience, Master's degree) short of rewriting my MCAT to compensate for GPA (cGPA: 3.63, 2 year: 3.81). My scores have expired for the US, so I'm thinking it's probably time to rewrite in the summer if there's no dice this cycle. Would love to hear some second opinions though.

MCAT Total: 512

Phys/Chem: 127

CARS: 126

Bio: 130

Psych: 129

Thanks in advance!

Depends. 

If you're only applying to the US, then yes, I would recommend rewriting to boost your overall MCAT score to offset the GPA (mostly CARS and CP). 

If you are also applying to Ontario schools, a good MCAT does not necessarily accommodate for weaker application components (aside from McMaster). You need a good MCAT alongside a good GPA to get an interview, as each component is evaluated mostly on a cutoff basis (UoT, Queen's, Western), and Ottawa places huge emphasis on their wGPA as they do not even require a MCAT. 

Have you considered possibly doing a 2-year second degree alongside rewriting the MCAT? 

4 minutes ago, Monocyte said:

Depends. 

If you're only applying to the US, then yes, I would recommend rewriting to boost your overall MCAT score to offset the GPA (mostly CARS and CP). 

If you are also applying to Ontario schools, a good MCAT does not necessarily accommodate for weaker application components (aside from McMaster). You need a good MCAT alongside a good GPA to get an interview, as each component is evaluated mostly on a cutoff basis (UoT, Queen's, Western), and Ottawa places huge emphasis on their wGPA as they do not even require a MCAT. 

Have you considered possibly doing a 2-year second degree alongside rewriting the MCAT? 

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

I'm not planning on only applying to the US but I know my stats are not very competitive in Canada. At this point I'm considering going elsewhere, which means a rewrite.

No, actually. I didn't even know that was a thing. Re-doing a 4-year undergraduate degree solely for the purposes of getting a better GPA was and is not an option for me, which is why I haven't tried to do something about directly improving my GPA. Would schools consider the GPA of a two-year degree program eligible for calculating the overall OMSAS GPA? What kinds of programs are these? 

A 2-year doesn't seem too bad, though I have to admit after taking 5 years (co-op) to finish undergrad and doing a Master's I don't know if I want to spend more time in school unless I'm receiving the education or pursuing a degree I really want (although I understand this may not be realistic).

Thanks again for the help.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys! I wrote the MCAT last summer and I really would rather not do it again (I think we can all collectively agree it is not a fun process) but I didn’t do great and scored in the 490s. I am a Canadian student with an honors degree and a 3.6 cumulative GPA (4.0 if first year is removed). Would rewriting it be worth it? Thanks! :) 

18 minutes ago, Kin2019 said:

Hi guys! I wrote the MCAT last summer and I really would rather not do it again (I think we can all collectively agree it is not a fun process) but I didn’t do great and scored in the 490s. I am a Canadian student with an honors degree and a 3.6 cumulative GPA (4.0 if first year is removed). Would rewriting it be worth it? Thanks! :) 

Rewrite is absolutely necessary unless you apply to schools that do not consider it.

• 4 weeks later...

497 MCAT the first time.  

508 the second time(129/124/125/130). Im from Alberta and will be applying to u of A and U of C. 3-Year GPA is 3.7 (BSc. chemistry) . ECs are a lot of advocacy for cultural diversity and increasing transportation in rural Alberta to provide more access to specialized healthcare for rural Albertans. 

Thanks for for your help