Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

Only had three and a half weeks to study, while working full time and tutoring. (financial conditions did not allow otherwise)

Scored a 14PS/10VR/11BS/R

Should I rewrite? I think I could improve the VR and BS a point each, maybe the PS as well. But it would require putting in a few months of studying to pull off the 38. Just not sure if its worth it or if I should just keep the 35 and spend the time that I would put into studying for the rewrite into other things? Volunteering, etc?

Rewriting a 35 with all subscores 10 or higher is not worth it in my opinion.

You already answered my question before I was posting but still would post it

Aug 2007: 13PS 8VR 11BS Q

Aug 2008: 11PS 9VR 13BS O

Jun 2011: 14PS 11VR 10BS R

that 10 bugs me I know cutoff wise I will be okay but it is a personal disappointment. On the other hand, 11 and 14 in the other two sections are not reproducible I can guarantee that. Especially the VR, I was dying to get a 10 so 11 is definitely some luck factor.

I see ppl here asking whether they should rewrite with mid-high 30s. I suppose they are not very familiar with US system but I am. Ppl there would think you are crazy if you rewrite a 32+ even with any score not below 8/9.

35 and above is stellar for US. They care more about the total score as long as you are not 6/7 in anything.

Wow the last three posts regarding rewrites all have 35's...

I'm wondering how much the "M" will set me back. I understand that the US doesn't look at the written component as much but I feel that they would frown upon the 9~30th percentile grade.

Any insight on this?

Are there any non-Ontario schools I can apply to in Canada?

Thanks a lot.

edit: I wouldn't rewrite if I were you.. You're good for almost all schools in North America. (Though I think there was a school that requires an 11 in BS)

You already answered my question before I was posting but still would post it

Aug 2007: 13PS 8VR 11BS Q

Aug 2008: 11PS 9VR 13BS O

Jun 2011: 14PS 11VR 10BS R

that 10 bugs me I know cutoff wise I will be okay but it is a personal disappointment. On the other hand, 11 and 14 in the other two sections are not reproducible I can guarantee that. Especially the VR, I was dying to get a 10 so 11 is definitely some luck factor.

I see ppl here asking whether they should rewrite with mid-high 30s. I suppose they are not very familiar with US system but I am. Ppl there would think you are crazy if you rewrite a 32+ even with any score not below 8/9.

35 and above is stellar for US. They care more about the total score as long as you are not 6/7 in anything.

Wow the last three posts regarding rewrites all have 35's...

I'm wondering how much the "M" will set me back. I understand that the US doesn't look at the written component as much but I feel that they would frown upon the 9~30th percentile grade.

Any insight on this?

Are there any non-Ontario schools I can apply to in Canada?

Thanks a lot.

edit: I wouldn't rewrite if I were you.. You're good for almost all schools in North America. (Though I think there was a school that requires an 11 in BS)

I am not that hopeful about Canada because of my GPA anyways. So yeah won't rewrite.

M won't hurt you in US. 35 is a great score and makes you competitive even at high-tier schools like Harvard, Stanford...their AVG MCATs are around 35 for matriculants. Strictly looking at MCAT that is. Obviously other stuff matters.

As a side note though, I read somewhere that Calgary considers BS and VR so that will hurt me.

EDIT: I also read recently somewhere that they are planning to phase out the writing component in 2014?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find the cutoffs for the writing sample online. I'm searching the OMSAS PDF and they just write that schools look at something but it doesn't write what the cutoff itself is. I've seen older threads talking about them but I'm not sure if they've changed.

Namely, I'm looking at 5 of the Ontario schools:

Mac, U of T, Western, Queens and Ottawa. I know Ottawa doesn't look at the MCAT, and Mac only looks at VR. So WS only counts for U of T, Western and Queens? Is it Q or R or something?

Thanks.

Interesting, thanks guys.

So it looks like I don't have too much to worry about WS, though I would like to keep Queens open so I'll be definitely aiming for a Q or an R if I'm lucky.

I can see from the essay I just graded that you've got the fundamentals down. Just remember to continue building a database and deploy the proper examples for the appropriate prompts. From what I can see, an R is definitely in your reach.

I can see from the essay I just graded that you've got the fundamentals down. Just remember to continue building a database and deploy the proper examples for the appropriate prompts. From what I can see, an R is definitely in your reach.

Thanks ever so much dude. I know the essay I gave you wasn't the best due to the examples, but I was glad to see you didn't really say I had any major glaring errors. I'll work on building a good set of examples tomorrow for my MCAT on Tuesday.

Hey guys,

What's the general consensus on re-writing before your score comes out? I think I did alright on 3/4 sections but I get the feeling I effed up the writing section (1 decent essay, 1 not so good). Is there a reason not to do this other than the fact that I might not do as well on the other sections? I know I can definitely do better on the writing.

The main question I would ask myself would be how the schools you are interested in look at the MCAT.

The schools that I am applying to all look at the best mcat score, so re-writing is not too risky. If the school looks at most recent, you might want to think hard about what you will do.

The way the exam is designed, it is difficult to really get a feel for how you did before you get your mark (unless you really obviously messed up). But, if you do not sign up now, you would have to wait for the next round of tests in 2012.

I know that did not really answer the question, but I hope it helped. :)

The main question I would ask myself would be how the schools you are interested in look at the MCAT.

The schools that I am applying to all look at the best mcat score, so re-writing is not too risky. If the school looks at most recent, you might want to think hard about what you will do.

The way the exam is designed, it is difficult to really get a feel for how you did before you get your mark (unless you really obviously messed up). But, if you do not sign up now, you would have to wait for the next round of tests in 2012.

I know that did not really answer the question, but I hope it helped. :)

I'm in a similar situation. I will find out my score Sept 7th, and I am signed up to write the 8th....just not sure if its worth it. I am really not sure how I did. Just wondering if most others in my situation would study hardcore for two weeks if the possibility of not writing again. Also you mentioned that your applying to schools that take your best score, I know that Queens does this. I'm curious what other schools your applying to. If you don't mind answering :)

I'd really appreciate thoughts on how I would fare in this cycle (IP for BC - I'll apply anywhere and everywhere):

9PS/11V/S/10BS

Thanks! :)

What's your GPA?

Minimum scores for invitation are 7's in all categories at UBC

Your writing section is good for UBC (UBC's writing average is usually a Q). The rest of your MCAT is average for UBC, but given that it is considered post interview, nobody knows how much influence it holds in the grand scheme of things. I'd say based on MCAT alone you have a good shot, but without knowing your GPA I cannot provide a satisfactory estimate.

Hello,

First post, yay!

Anyway, I'm SWOMEN and my OMSAS GPA is 3.9.

My MCAT score is 35Q: 14PS/10VR/11BS

I'm planning to apply to Western, U of T, Mac, Queen's and Ottawa.

I believe I meet the cutoffs but I'm concerned that the MCAT score may be too unbalanced. Will this affect me negatively?

Thanks in advance!

Is this a joke?

Hey spudy,

I was kind of leaving out my GPA just to see if my total/verbal score might make other cutoffs. For UBC, I am really relying on my non-academic score. My overall percentage is ~82% which I think is about 3.77/4.33 and my pre-req's are ~79% :( For other schools, I think my best two years are ~ 3.9/4.33. Thanks for the reply and the help.