Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

Thank you for the thoughtful response!

I do have a high GPA (3.96) plus a good extracurricular profile, so it looks like it's not worth re-writing just to make Western's cut-offs. I'm just hoping that Mac and Queen's don't get put-off by the 10 VR, despite the rest of my application being solid.

Hi all,

I'm also wondering about whether rewriting to get the 11 in VR is worth it? 

Some of my stats:

-finished undergrad this year, 2014

-starting masters this year, therefore not applying until 2015-2016 cycle

-cGPA: ~3.93 (haven't updated with 4th year 2nd semester marks)

-MCAT 2012: 33R- 11P/10V/12B

-interviewed and waitlisted at Mcmaster (2013 cycle) and Dalhousie (2014 cycle)

When I wrote the MCAT in 2012, I was also working in research full time and had a lot of family drama going on. As well, since 2012 I've taken physiology so I feel like I could do better. However, in my AAMC practice tests (done in 2012) I was getting all 9's in verbal.

Opinions/Advice please?

(Sorry I just realized for some reason the post got cut off...)

Hi all,

I'm also wondering about whether rewriting to get the 11 in VR is worth it? 

Some of my stats:

-finished undergrad this year, 2014

-starting masters this year, therefore not applying until 2015-2016 cycle

-cGPA: ~3.93 (haven't updated with 4th year 2nd semester marks)

-MCAT 2012: 33R- 11P/10V/12B

-interviewed and waitlisted at Mcmaster (2013 cycle) and Dalhousie (2014 cycle)

When I wrote the MCAT in 2012, I was also working in research full time and had a lot of family drama going on. As well, since 2012 I've taken physiology so I feel like I could do better. However, in my AAMC practice tests (done in 2012) I was getting all 9's in verbal.

Opinions/Advice please?

(Sorry I just realized for some reason the post got cut off...)

Considering that the current MCAT will become obsolete at U of C, U of A and after the 2015-2016 cycle at Dalhousie, if you want to re-write, you'd have to do it this year. If you still feel your PS and BS sections are still strong, I don't see why not re-write? Is it worth it? It increases your chances at Mac, gives you a shot at Western. If you think you can get in the 36s, it also give you a shot at U of S, U of M. However, you have a strong GPA, your masters will make you even stronger, and I don't think you'll have problems when you apply to like U of T/Queens so it's up to you - tough call. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my MCAT scores back PS 10, VR 10, BS 8

To be honest I'm really happy with the VR because I hardly ever scored 10s during practice so that was a huge accomplishment for me. The 8 in bio I'm not quite sure what happened, I thought it went well but apparently not.

MY cGPA is 3.98 and I have strong ECs (varsity athlete, multiple NSERC's, meaningful volunteer work etc...)

I'm applying to Mac, Ottawa, U of T and Queens (3rd year applicant)

I am kind of on the fence about U of T because although I am below the cutoff for one section i've read that if the rest of the application is strong then it compensates for the MCAT score.

Also, Im not expecting anything from Queens, just for the experience and feedback!

If I don't get any hits this year then I think i'll rewrite next summer...thoughts?

Just got my MCAT scores back PS 10, VR 10, BS 8

To be honest I'm really happy with the VR because I hardly ever scored 10s during practice so that was a huge accomplishment for me. The 8 in bio I'm not quite sure what happened, I thought it went well but apparently not.

MY cGPA is 3.98 and I have strong ECs (varsity athlete, multiple NSERC's, meaningful volunteer work etc...)

I'm applying to Mac, Ottawa, U of T and Queens (3rd year applicant)

I am kind of on the fence about U of T because although I am below the cutoff for one section i've read that if the rest of the application is strong then it compensates for the MCAT score.

Also, Im not expecting anything from Queens, just for the experience and feedback!

If I don't get any hits this year then I think i'll rewrite next summer...thoughts?

UofT unfortunately scrapped that policy this year. The cutoff of 9 in each section is now a hard cutoff (though the 9BS was always a hard cutoff).

You're in the running for Ottawa/Mac, but not for UofT/Queen's. It's up to you if you want to rewrite or not

Hi guys,

I am debating re-writing my MCAT. I scored a 11 in bio, 11 in phys and 10 in verbal. I currently have a 3.99 OMSAS gpa. Please advise. 

Thanks

Depends entirely on your ECs. If they're relatively strong, I wouldn't rewrite. If they're on the weaker side, I would rewrite.

With your current GPA/MCAT combo, you're in good standing for Ottawa, U of T, and Queen's provided your ECs hold up well. You're also in decent standing for Mac, as your slightly-wore-than-average VR is compensated by your stellar GPA. That gives you four schools in Ontario with a reasonable chance of admissions - which is more than enough. Rewriting means you could up that to five schools by including Western and could somewhat increase your chances at Mac.

On the flip side, rewriting could also sink your chances at Queen's and worsen them for Mac. I agree with Jaybird, going from a 10 to an 11 VR score is pretty meaningful (though you'd likely have to up your BS score as well - we'll see what Western does with its cutoffs using the new version of the MCAT). However, going from a 10 to a 9 VR is equally meaningful in the other direction. Mac becomes a significant uphill battle, while Queen's is right out. Having five schools that you've got a shot at isn't much better than having four, but having only two (Ottawa and U of T) is definitely worse than having four.

If your ECs are questionable for Ottawa, U of T, and Queen's however, it's worth it. In that case you'd basically just be risking Mac (which is somewhat unpredictable thanks to the CASPer) to add Western as a possibility (which is one of the most predictable schools in the country), jumping from one school to two. That does make a real difference in your chances.

Here are my stats.. Any feedback?

Overall 27
PS 9
VR 8 
BS 10

cGPA 3.62

EC: Publication (abstract), 1 year of Clinical neuropedatric research + conference presentations (2 awards), I currently work at a non-profit (Brain injury society), served for 5+ years, PADI certified, Semester of school in France (HS), Bilingual (french and English) + lots of other volunteer experiences (Eg. hospital, research assistant, food bank, education facilitator,). I also play intramural ball hockey (non-competitive) haha

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my stats.. Any feedback?

Overall 27

PS 9

VR 8 

BS 10

cGPA 3.62

EC: Publication (abstract), 1 year of Clinical neuropedatric research + conference presentations (2 awards), I currently work at a non-profit (Brain injury society), served for 5+ years, PADI certified, Semester of school in France (HS), Bilingual (french and English) + lots of other volunteer experiences (Eg. hospital, research assistant, food bank, education facilitator,). I also play intramural ball hockey (non-competitive) haha

Rewrite the MCAT, an 11VR is usually the score to go for.

You have a low chance for McMaster because of VR and cGPA (Since they don't consider EC's anyway). Same goes for UofT and Western, their MCAT cut offs are pretty strict.

Dependin on your wGPA for Ottawa you may have a shot since they will consider your EC's. 

• 2 months later...

Depends entirely on your ECs. If they're relatively strong, I wouldn't rewrite. If they're on the weaker side, I would rewrite.

With your current GPA/MCAT combo, you're in good standing for Ottawa, U of T, and Queen's provided your ECs hold up well. You're also in decent standing for Mac, as your slightly-wore-than-average VR is compensated by your stellar GPA. That gives you four schools in Ontario with a reasonable chance of admissions - which is more than enough. Rewriting means you could up that to five schools by including Western and could somewhat increase your chances at Mac.

On the flip side, rewriting could also sink your chances at Queen's and worsen them for Mac. I agree with Jaybird, going from a 10 to an 11 VR score is pretty meaningful (though you'd likely have to up your BS score as well - we'll see what Western does with its cutoffs using the new version of the MCAT). However, going from a 10 to a 9 VR is equally meaningful in the other direction. Mac becomes a significant uphill battle, while Queen's is right out. Having five schools that you've got a shot at isn't much better than having four, but having only two (Ottawa and U of T) is definitely worse than having four.

If your ECs are questionable for Ottawa, U of T, and Queen's however, it's worth it. In that case you'd basically just be risking Mac (which is somewhat unpredictable thanks to the CASPer) to add Western as a possibility (which is one of the most predictable schools in the country), jumping from one school to two. That does make a real difference in your chances.

Wow, I never saw this response until now- but thank you! As you suggested, I decided against re-writing it. I would say my ECs are fairly strong and diverse, which strengthens my application. I am also currently a pharmacy student, so hopefully that works to my advantage! 

Wow, I never saw this response until now- but thank you! As you suggested, I decided against re-writing it. I would say my ECs are fairly strong and diverse, which strengthens my application. I am also currently a pharmacy student, so hopefully that works to my advantage! 

Glad my post was helpful! I think already being involved in health care through your schooling in pharmacy can definitely help. Best of luck in your applications!

• 2 months later...

(xpost from 'What are my chances?')

Very conflicted about whether I should re-write the MCAT (dreading this idea as it'd be the new one) and chase down a 4th year Micro major degree. Hopefully someone can offer some advice! Here's what I got goin on:

- 2 MCAT writes - 1st = 26 (VR 6, PS 10, BS 10), 2nd = 27 (VR 8, PS 8, BS 11)
 - cGPA = 3.80 / 4.5 , AGPA = 4.30 / 4.5 (some old schooling that's crippling me)

- 300+ volunteer hours in hospital

- ex primary care paramedic (all sorts of certificates that came with this - ACLS, CPR for HCP's,etc as well as some decent experience)

- volunteer fire fighter for 2 years

- Doing synthetic bio/biochem research this summer and possibly next

- 3 year general science degree (just finishing and unsure if I want to pursue 4th year micro major)

- 2 year chemical engineering tech diploma (didn't really do anything with it)

I should mention I'm primarily interested in Umanitoba as I realize my GPA + MCAT put an axe on going OOP but I'll apply wherever I can regardless. I'll be almost 29 when I apply if that means anything. I am Metis and grew up in a northern rural community that I'd most likely return to after I finished med. I've nailed down 3 pretty good references for recommendation letters so far. Was so busy taking full course loads (right through summers as well) that I haven't been as active in the University as I'd hoped but I'm going to change that soon.

If anyone has any tips on whether re-taking the MCAT is in my best interest or if chasing down a 4th year degree would be more beneficial that padding up my resume in other ways for a year I'd love to hear!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know what Canadian schools would think if someone were to write the 2015 MCAT three times in one summer? I don't think I have done my best the first two times and I still have the knowledge of everything I studied.. I'm worried I won't make cutoffs so I don't know what I should do.. 

Does anyone know what Canadian schools would think if someone were to write the 2015 MCAT three times in one summer? I don't think I have done my best the first two times and I still have the knowledge of everything I studied.. I'm worried I won't make cutoffs so I don't know what I should do.. 

If you're confident on getting in this year and the only thing holding you back is your MCAT I would go for it. You can only take the new MCAT 3 times in a single testing year, 4 times in 2 consecutive years - so if you don't get the score you'd like you would only have one chance to write it next cycle, vs. two if you didn't. Also I think it depends on the school - U of C has a subjective category for academic merit and they view all your MCAT attempts. They've stated that file reviewers consider your "average" score when reviewing this category (more details in their podcasts). 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

So the new cutoffs for UofT is 125 for each section I believe - and my MCAT2015 score is: 513 (89%) - 129(93%)/124(44%)/129(93%)/131(98%). 

I guess I am one of those unbalanced and unfortunate Canadian school appliers but I was wondering if UofT would automatically reject my application due to my CARS score...

Also I am a Master's student and was wondering if they lowered the cutoff for those with a Masters degree - I think I heard that somewhere. 

I am now looking towards applying to the states and if anyone knows of any schools that places more emphasis on overall and not so much on verbal I would very much appreciate the heads up. 

Thank you, 

Hi everyone. I'm going to apply this cycle anyway (because why not?), but in the likely case that I get rejected, would you guys consider re-writing with my scores? I am primarily interested in Alberta schools, though I would also consider BC schools.

wGPA: 3.91 (UofA/UofC) / 86% (UBC)

MCAT: 513: 132/125/131/125.

I did great on the old VR practice materials, but the CARS section surprised me; it was certainly more difficult than the VR on the old MCAT.