Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

I probably know the unfortunate answer to this, but I'll ask anyways. 

Currently: Doing MSc. (just started this year)

2Yr GPA: 3.92

cGPA: 3.80

Total - 513 (130/123/132/128)

I am assuming as a Quebec Resident applying to most schools as OOP, I will have to rewrite my MCAT (for the 4th time..). I can't for the life of me get my CARS/Verbal score to a semi decent number.

Unfortunately yes, even if you can get it to a 125+ that would do you solid. If you have high GPA that'd open up Uoft and some other OOP schools like Dal/UBC possibly Queen's. Aim for 128+ tho

Currently 3rd year BSc

cGPA: 3.60/4.33 - hoping to get to around 3.85 by the end of 4th year

MCAT: 510 (127/128/129/126)

BC resident will apply everywhere though.

Mostly concerned that my psyc/soc and overall scores are low, considering that the UBC average is 515 now. This summer was really the only time I had off to write the MCAT to apply after my third year so I did it, figuring I would be more fresh for the courses on it. I am confident that I can do better if I rewrite, but don't really want to if it isn't necessary.

Thanks.

Currently 3rd year BSc

cGPA: 3.60/4.33 - hoping to get to around 3.85 by the end of 4th year

MCAT: 510 (127/128/129/126)

BC resident will apply everywhere though.

Mostly concerned that my psyc/soc and overall scores are low, considering that the UBC average is 515 now. This summer was really the only time I had off to write the MCAT to apply after my third year so I did it, figuring I would be more fresh for the courses on it. I am confident that I can do better if I rewrite, but don't really want to if it isn't necessary.

Thanks.

IMO, I think this score is good enough. I think you will get in eventually somewhere with it as long as you get a high GPA in your last year.

I’m really torn on whether I should re-write or not...

My score is 127 (C/P) 127 (CARS) 128 (Bio) 130 (psyc/soc)

Overall: 512 (88th percentile)

I think it’s good, it’s pretty balanced, but not amazing...and it seems, generally, to be at the lower end of scores for accepted people. I have a 3.98 gpa, which I think helps...but honestly I’m not sure about this MCAT score.

I’d be applying to Mac, U of T, Ottawa, and Queens. My ECs are average.

I really think I could do better if I re-wrote it (I hardly did any practice tests beforehand) - There’s so much room for improvement, but it’s a trade-off, because I’d much rather spend my time building my ECs (and actually doing something meaningful) than hiding away studying for this again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys!

My score is 127 (C/P), 127 (CARS), 129 (BIO), 130 (PSYCH/SOC). Overall 513 (90th percentile) 

I am contemplating rewriting because I feel CARS is not very high for Ontario and certain schools in Canada. I feel like CARS can improve for me as I was doing better on practice exams. My only worry is that I will drop overall, and CARS might stay the same. GPA is fine, and I am wondering if you think it is worth the hassle to rewrite with my score. PM me if you have any further suggestions, or feel free to post them here :)

Hey guys!

My score is 127 (C/P), 127 (CARS), 129 (BIO), 130 (PSYCH/SOC). Overall 513 (90th percentile) 

I am contemplating rewriting because I feel CARS is not very high for Ontario and certain schools in Canada. I feel like CARS can improve for me as I was doing better on practice exams. My only worry is that I will drop overall, and CARS might stay the same. GPA is fine, and I am wondering if you think it is worth the hassle to rewrite with my score. PM me if you have any further suggestions, or feel free to post them here :)

Hey it looks like you’re in a similar position as me! (Except you did better in Bio :P )

I’ve been giving this lots of thought, and I think what it comes down to is: Do you think your score accurately represents what you are capable of? If someone is going to judge your academic capability on these numbers, they damn well better be reflective of what you can actually do.

I would suggest thinking back to how hard you prepared, and deciding whether or not you gave 100% effort. If so then I wouldn’t re-write. But if you’re like me and are thinking you didn’t give it your all, then I think a rewrite would be a good idea.

Considering how competitive it is to get in, taking another 3 months or so out of your life to properly prepare for this test seems worth it if you know you can do better.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and congrats on reaching that 90th percentile! :) 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a first time applicant currently in my 4th year!

Year 1: 3.74

Year 2: 3.92

Year 3: 3.99

Any insight is appreciated :) Thanks!

It seems like you'd have a good shot at schools that have weighted formulas for GPA or only look at your best two years. A piece of advice I've seen given a lot on here is to re-write the MCAT if you feel you can do better on it. Either way, it's a good score! Best of luck :)

Wondering if this is a competitive enough score? (Ontario Resident) 

Total: 512- 88th Percentile 

127/129/128/128

Yes I think so! I applied with a 127/129/127/131 (so similar scores overall) and got an interview at Mac (and Ottawa- so not mcat based). I think you might also have a shot at Western this year. Also, I was not eligible for weighting at U of T, so I think my mcat would have been good there if not for that issue. Idk about Queens... 

I'm considering a rewrite, but really don't know if I should, especially since I wrote it in 2015 and would have to review a lot of the material again.

My score seemed pretty good when I received it (130/129/130/130, total 519, 98th percentile), but my GPA took a big hit last year, so I need a good MCAT to compensate (especially for McMaster). I was already considering a rewrite last year, looking at Manitoba (OOP) and Western's stats, and getting the interview decision from McMaster today just reinforced it. The thing is though, the one I really want to improve is CARS, and that seems to be the hardest to predict. Also, my score really benefitted from doing practice exams, but those things cost so much that I don't want to waste it and still risk not improving CARS. Am still waiting on Western for their new cutoffs of course, but having thinking about this for some time.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I'm considering a rewrite, but really don't know if I should, especially since I wrote it in 2015 and would have to review a lot of the material again.

My score seemed pretty good when I received it (130/129/130/130, total 519, 98th percentile), but my GPA took a big hit last year, so I need a good MCAT to compensate (especially for McMaster). I was already considering a rewrite last year, looking at Manitoba (OOP) and Western's stats, and getting the interview decision from McMaster today just reinforced it. The thing is though, the one I really want to improve is CARS, and that seems to be the hardest to predict. Also, my score really benefitted from doing practice exams, but those things cost so much that I don't want to waste it and still risk not improving CARS. Am still waiting on Western for their new cutoffs of course, but having thinking about this for some time.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Is this a joke? This is not what is holding you back... Re-taking the MCAT would be a complete waste of time in my opinion. 

Thoughts/suggestions?

Definitely not a good idea! You have an almost perfect mcat score. The only place that CARS is bringing you down is possibly Western, so definitely not worth the rewrite. Many people interview at Mac with a 129 (and lower). Also, increasing your mcat at all will not compensate for a poor gpa. Best thing to do about that is to take more classes (for instance do an extra year of undergrad or something). 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for honest opinions.  Applying to Ontario med schools with a 508 (129/125/127/127).  Should I consider a rewrite? I have a GPA of 3.9+ and lots of solid ECs, work experience, volunteering, etc.  Thoughts?

Wow, are you me? I am same exact situation except I got 508 (125, 126, 127, 130). Would really appreciate advise if I should rewrite. I did not receive interviews this cycle and I need to change/improve something before next time around.

Looking for honest opinions.  Applying to Ontario med schools with a 508 (129/125/127/127).  Should I consider a rewrite? I have a GPA of 3.9+ and lots of solid ECs, work experience, volunteering, etc.  Thoughts?

That 125 CARS alone will hurt you at 4/6 places in Ontario. For hard cutoffs this year, Western's was 129, and Queen's seems to be around 127. Those without hard cutoffs, Toronto's VR was ~10 in 2015, which is supposedly 127-128 CARS (the 2 points could still be compensated for with a great wGPA and essays), while for McMaster you would need to ace the CASPer. If you're confident in your EC's and wGPA though, maybe you can consider using the time you would've spent on rewriting the MCAT on consolidating your ABS/essays for NOSM, Ottawa, and Toronto. It depends on how long you spent studying last time though, how many times you've already done it, and whether you have the energy/resources to do it again (and do it better). There are certainly possibilities with your GPA and good EC's, but if you want better chances at more places, I highly recommend you consider rewriting, maybe with a different/more focused (you have a good C/P score) study strategy this time?

Is this a joke? This is not what is holding you back... Re-taking the MCAT would be a complete waste of time in my opinion. 

...nope, wasn't joking. The Ontario schools which had the most transparent formula for interviews both seemed to suggest that boosting CARS would give me a better chance despite an average GPA, so it seemed like something that should be seriously considered.

That 125 CARS alone will hurt you at 4/6 places in Ontario. For hard cutoffs this year, Western's was 129, and Queen's seems to be around 127. Those without hard cutoffs, Toronto's VR was ~10 in 2015, which is supposedly 127-128 CARS (the 2 points could still be compensated for with a great wGPA and essays), while for McMaster you would need to ace the CASPer. If you're confident in your EC's and wGPA though, maybe you can consider using the time you would've spent on rewriting the MCAT on consolidating your ABS/essays for NOSM, Ottawa, and Toronto. It depends on how long you spent studying last time though, how many times you've already done it, and whether you have the energy/resources to do it again (and do it better). There are certainly possibilities with your GPA and good EC's, but if you want better chances at more places, I highly recommend you consider rewriting, maybe with a different/more focused (you have a good C/P score) study strategy this time?

...nope, wasn't joking. The Ontario schools which had the most transparent formula for interviews both seemed to suggest that boosting CARS would give me a better chance despite an average GPA, so it seemed like something that should be seriously considered.

Correction: Hurts him at 3/6 Ontario schools - it doesn't affect him for UofT, they only look at 125 cutoffs

Hey everyone, I was rejected from Western and Queen's this year. My MCAT's 515: 129/128/130/128. I should add that I'm on my second undergrad; my first was horrible, which means I'm only gonna be competitive at these MCAT schools -  Western, Queen's, Calgary, Dalhousie. Should I re-write, or wait and see what Western's cutoffs look like next year? Thanks 

Thanks for your input!  I am concerned because the score I posted above was my most recent score, but my third attempt at the MCAT.  It's getting on my nerves because I have gotten a 129 in every section (except CARS where my highest was 126), just not all in the same writing.  Not sure if it is worth risking dropping below the 125 U of T cutoffs because I can't seem to bring my CARS up, no matter what I do.  Feeling like I don't have the mental energy to do it a fourth time but also have put so much in to this already that I don't want to just give up, you know?  

Hey everyone, I was rejected from Western and Queen's this year. My MCAT's 515: 129/128/130/128. I should add that I'm on my second undergrad; my first was horrible, which means I'm only gonna be competitive at these MCAT schools -  Western, Queen's, Calgary, Dalhousie. Should I re-write, or wait and see what Western's cutoffs look like next year? Thanks 

I am surprised you did not get atleast an interview at Queens with that score... what is your wgpa look like for Queens? Also how are your EC's?

I am surprised you did not get atleast an interview at Queens with that score... what is your wgpa look like for Queens? Also how are your EC's?

Hey Siefer, my cGPA is godawful, but my 2-year GPA was 3.94 this cycle. I believe my EC's are average/cookie cutter, lots of volunteering, research, awards. Also have some clinical experience bc I'm in nursing. However, I'm also thinking my reference letters may not have been that strong... anyways, think I should rewrite?

Hey Siefer, my cGPA is godawful, but my 2-year GPA was 3.94 this cycle. I believe my EC's are average/cookie cutter, lots of volunteering, research, awards. Also have some clinical experience bc I'm in nursing. However, I'm also thinking my reference letters may not have been that strong... anyways, think I should rewrite?

Oh man! You got a 129/128/130/128 and you're in nursing?? Did you take the "prereqs" before writing or just self-study?