Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: Should I Rewrite the MCAT (And other MCAT Score related Questions)

register

Definitely re-write. Verbal is really important in Canadian Med School admissions (assuming you don't have a 4.0cGPA - even then you're limited to a few schools such as Ottawa). An 11VR has become the new score to get, which used to be a 10 a few years ago. I'm rewriting with a 32 (10VR).

Besides, you might as well throw your hat into the ring one last time with the old MCAT before the new one comes out and you have to buy all new materials/study some different things.

omsas cGPA: ~3.85

American GPA: ~3.89

Science GPA: 3.86

MCAT 1: 12PS 8VR 10BS (30)

MCAT 2: 11PS 9VR 12 BS (32)

Canadian Citizen (do not qualify for SWOMEN or anything like that)

ECs: worked in 3 different labs (~2 years total); 1 at an Ivy league school (not sure if that holds any more weight than a normal school), 1 abstract + 1 poster presentation, VP of a Global Health club, several years volunteering for a community charity, 5 years of tutoring, nursing home, worked for a moving company, contributor to online website that is run with a friend, a couple scholarships

Would you guys recommend re-writing the MCAT due to verbal or are my stats good enough for the States?

omsas cGPA: ~3.85

American GPA: ~3.89

Science GPA: 3.86

MCAT 1: 12PS 8VR 10BS (30)

MCAT 2: 11PS 9VR 12 BS (32)

Canadian Citizen (do not qualify for SWOMEN or anything like that)

ECs: worked in 3 different labs (~2 years total); 1 at an Ivy league school (not sure if that holds any more weight than a normal school), 1 abstract + 1 poster presentation, VP of a Global Health club, several years volunteering for a community charity, 5 years of tutoring, nursing home, worked for a moving company, contributor to online website that is run with a friend, a couple scholarships

Would you guys recommend re-writing the MCAT due to verbal or are my stats good enough for the States?

Defiantly rewrite, your GPA is great but MCAT is low. Thank God you can rewrite it!

Defiantly rewrite, your GPA is great but MCAT is low. Thank God you can rewrite it!

The only debate I am having with myself is that if I do re-write the MCAT for a third time, the doors would open up to only Mac and Queens in Ontario (assuming I get 10). However, writing for a third time, may also put me at a disadvantage for American schools.

So does the shot at Queens/Mac outweigh the disadvantage I am placed at American schools?

The only debate I am having with myself is that if I do re-write the MCAT for a third time, the doors would open up to only Mac and Queens in Ontario (assuming I get 10). However, writing for a third time, may also put me at a disadvantage for American schools.

So does the shot at Queens/Mac outweigh the disadvantage I am placed at American schools?

How confident are you that you can increase your score for the 3rd attempt? If you're going to try again, you need to have a notable amount of improvement or it won't be looked at too favorably by US schools.

How confident are you that you can increase your score for the 3rd attempt? If you're going to try again, you need to have a notable amount of improvement or it won't be looked at too favorably by US schools.

Do you know if my current score good enough for the States?

I think most American schools only look at the most recent MCAT score and if you show improvement, that's good!

I think most American schools only look at the most recent MCAT score and if you show improvement, that's good!

I disagree somewhat. If you take the MCAT 3 times, you need to show a reasonable amount of improvement each time. At least more than 1 point.

As for MB19's question, the 32 is decent. That's usually the benchmark that most domestic students aim for. That being said, you're Canadian, and will therefore have a harder time getting in with a 32. You're going to need to be strategic about which schools you pick, and make sure to apply early!

Edit: When I say "strategic", I mean that you don't want to pick only top-tier schools. Even certain mid-tier schools will be tricky, so try to make your list very diverse.

I disagree somewhat. If you take the MCAT 3 times, you need to show a reasonable amount of improvement each time. At least more than 1 point.

As for MB19's question, the 32 is decent. That's usually the benchmark that most domestic students aim for. That being said, you're Canadian, and will therefore have a harder time getting in with a 32. You're going to need to be strategic about which schools you pick, and make sure to apply early!

Edit: When I say "strategic", I mean that you don't want to pick only top-tier schools. Even certain mid-tier schools will be tricky, so try to make your list very diverse.

Thanks. I think what I am going to end up doing is apply as early as possible for this upcoming cycle in June 2014. Hopefully, I get in somewhere, and if I don't, I will rewrite in January 2015. The MCAT is changing to the new format in the spring of 2015, so I will still be familiar with it, which is an advantage as well.

Hi all,

Given the sudden jump in Western's MCAT cutoff in BS to 12, and weak GPA (graduated with a cGPA ~3.5), I'm debating if I should write the MCAT again this summer or hope next year will drop back down...

2011: 31Q - PS10/VR9/BS12

2012: 34Q - PS11/VR12/BS11

I feel confident I can get a 12 or higher in BS now with more physiology under my belt, but I'm not sure I can consistently replicate a 11-12 in VR. This cycle is pretty much a bust for me now, so other options I'm considering for next cycle include American schools, moving to Calgary for a year, doing a course-based master's, or working for a year. Any other routes to consider or any insight at all?

Hi all,

Given the sudden jump in Western's MCAT cutoff in BS to 12, and weak GPA (graduated with a cGPA ~3.5), I'm debating if I should write the MCAT again this summer or hope next year will drop back down...

2011: 31Q - PS10/VR9/BS12

2012: 34Q - PS11/VR12/BS11

I feel confident I can get a 12 or higher in BS now with more physiology under my belt, but I'm not sure I can consistently replicate a 11-12 in VR. This cycle is pretty much a bust for me now, so other options I'm considering for next cycle include American schools, moving to Calgary for a year, doing a course-based master's, or working for a year. Any other routes to consider or any insight at all?

Move to Calgary and apply IP Cal and IP Ont.

That's a great score, especially VR. Unless you REALLY want to go to UWO, I wouldn't do it. And even then, I would say you were wasting your time for that one school.

• 3 months later...

I'm starting to study right now, but it's pretty lackluster considering that I am waiting for May 13th to roll around. The more I think about it, the less I want to re-write. cGPA 3.6, 2yr wGPA of 3.96, 3yr wGPA 3.90 and good ECs.

Wrote it 2 years ago and got a 32 (12P/10V/10B).

Opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I just joined this forum, and I thought that I would give a little DISCLAIMER to all those considering re-writing the MCAT:

I've written the test twice, and the first time I received a 7 on Verbal Reasoning. I was obviously disappointed by this, but I STILL RECEIVED AN INTERVIEW AT MCMASTER with this score. It IS possible. I think that people often forget that, for McMaster especially, the CASPer test is worth the exact same amount as the VR section in determining whether you get an interview. So, if Verbal simply isn't your strong suit (take me for example - got a 9 the second time around), then it might not be worth it to spend years of your life re-taking the MCAT.

This is just my perspective on the issue, but I thought that I would share it with you all and give you some hope haha :)

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At what point is the trade off to bump a VR 10 to 11 not worth it?

I have a 36: 12, 10, 14 (PS, VR, BS)

My AAMC test avg was exactly 36 over all the tests. But I never dipped above/below 12/11 on VR, unfortunately my test had a weird distribution of q's between VR passages leaving me pressed for time...

I'd be applying next year. So there's going to be some major variability with the 2015 test out there...

At what point is the trade off to bump a VR 10 to 11 not worth it?

I have a 36: 12, 10, 14 (PS, VR, BS)

My AAMC test avg was exactly 36 over all the tests. But I never dipped above/below 12/11 on VR, unfortunately my test had a weird distribution of q's between VR passages leaving me pressed for time...

I'd be applying next year. So there's going to be some major variability with the 2015 test out there...

lol. 10 char.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got my MCAT scores back: 12 / 10 in VR / 12, for a total of 34.

I'm quite happy with the 12's, but 11 seems to be such a key score to obtain in VR that I'm on the fence of whether or not to re-write. I'm from Ottawa, looking mainly at Ontario schools.

This seems like the appropriate time to mention my situation, since this "10 in VR" is the big debate right now.

I just got my MCAT scores back: 12 / 10 in VR / 12, for a total of 34.

I'm quite happy with the 12's, but 11 seems to be such a key score to obtain in VR that I'm on the fence of whether or not to re-write. I'm from Ottawa, looking mainly at Ontario schools.

This seems like the appropriate time to mention my situation, since this "10 in VR" is the big debate right now.

Well, U of T claims they only want 9/9/9 as the minimum so you should be okay there. Western, you are below their cut off. Queens, you are above their 32 cut off, not sure how an 11 fairs versus a 10 at Queens. McMaster, that 10 VR will really depend on your GPA and CASPER. Very high GPA, decent CASPER = prob interview invite, average GPA, average CASPER = unsure of chances. 

So should you re-write? Since I'm assuming you are applying to Ottawa, U of T and Queens, and hopefully have a decent GPA/CASPER skills, getting that 11 VR just for Western may not be worth it. The choice is really up to you and depends on the rest of your application I'd say.