Premed 101 Forums

Important OMSAS information

When you sign into OMSAS, there is a section that listed required documents and whether they have been received. It can take a while to update though.

Haha, this is important to keep in mind - I was freaking out last year when the deadline passed and the website still said they hadn't received one of my letters! Turns out it takes a few days to process everything and update the website (especially with the flood of letters coming in at the deadline).

When you sign into OMSAS, there is a section that listed required documents and whether they have been received. It can take a while to update though.

Great, thanks for the information!

Now, once i have signed in. where would i see this section that listed required documents and whether they have been received? Is it somewhere in the left hand column? According to the main page if i click submit it would give me a list of missing documents- but when i clicked submit it asked me to confirm that i wanted to submit, which i am wary to click because my application is not finished. I just want to be able to see whether or not they have received my references.

any further direction would be great.

thanks again. :)

Great, thanks for the information!

Now, once i have signed in. where would i see this section that listed required documents and whether they have been received? Is it somewhere in the left hand column? According to the main page if i click submit it would give me a list of missing documents- but when i clicked submit it asked me to confirm that i wanted to submit, which i am wary to click because my application is not finished. I just want to be able to see whether or not they have received my references.

any further direction would be great.

thanks again. :)

You can't see if your documents habve been recieved or not untily ou have submitted your application. BUT once submitted you cannot change anything in your application.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Personal opinion here - no it is not too old and there well be a bunch of people in the class in that age range. I was older when I started as well so I am biased, ha. 

Objectively the odds of not getting residency is around 3%. It is possible that is what is worrying you but probably not directly :). It is probably just....a day the universe changed moment, and your life right now is probably not that bad so change implies risk. 

It is completely natural to feel a sudden - "what have I gotten myself into" - a feel that will repeat itself many times during medical training (you want me to put what.....where?)

it passes. You get used to the idea. Big changes are hard but it is something you can do. 

In ways you cannot grasp now you will not be alone this process and you will find new and different types of strength as well to guide you through (because no one can understand really somethings, unless they do them no matter how powerful their imagination is). You can do this and it almost certainly will work out. 

and congrats by the way and welcome to the profession.

On 5/30/2017 at 7:45 PM, rmorelan said:

Personal opinion here - no it is not too old and there well be a bunch of people in the class in that age range. I was older when I started as well so I am biased, ha. 

Objectively the odds of not getting residency is around 3%. It is possible that is what is worrying you but probably not directly :). It is probably just....a day the universe changed moment, and your life right now is probably not that bad so change implies risk. 

It is completely natural to feel a sudden - "what have I gotten myself into" - a feel that will repeat itself many times during medical training (you want me to put what.....where?)

it passes. You get used to the idea. Big changes are hard but it is something you can do. 

In ways you cannot grasp now you will not be alone this process and you will find new and different types of strength as well to guide you through (because no one can understand really somethings, unless they do them no matter how powerful their imagination is). You can do this and it almost certainly will work out. 

and congrats by the way and welcome to the profession.

Just now, qnzjlo said:

Thank you for that rmorelan! A part of me feels uncertain because my sister keeps discouraging me to do it. She is a pharmacist herself and she is six years old (i.e., 32 years old) and she is saying how I am going to give up what I have built up in my law career (I am a newly minted lawyer). She brings in concepts like opportunity cost of income foregone during those 4 years of medical school and how I won't earn as much during residency as I do now. Those are really real considerations, and it just doesn't help when your family doesn't support your dreams, you know what I mean?

I know exactly what that is like - I actually didn't tell my parents that I was even doing a premed degree after I got my computer science one and started working. I didn't want the interference so much that I hide that fact for 4 years actually where I completed 2 other degrees effectively. I probably wouldn't have even told me I was in medical school except my brother blurted it out in the summer before I started (while drunk at my cousin's wedding) to my grandparents. Surprise! there is a doctor in the family, ha. 

I am an economics major as well - where ha opportunity cost is our domain. Objectively there is a lag compared to continuing law, but first off you do end up ahead based on the traditional lawyer income, and opportunity cost has to factor in as well your utility (fancy economics term for happiness - I would have just called it happiness units, but I guess it is hard to publish a paper that way). The math checks out as well. I know - I have done it :) Plus as a multi field type person I can say you hold huge power if you were in medicine. You can actually do both if you want, and people will look to you for leadership in those areas (whether you like it or not).

• 4 years later...