Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad: Queen's vs Western

DreamDoc

I think regardless where you choose to go, you're going to have a great time. The key is to determine whether the program suits you (i.e. the courses interest you, and etc.). Your going to meet great people whereever you go, you're going to party and you're going to find interesting things to do.

I did my undergrads at Western and am in Queen's for Meds, so here is my take.

1) If you want to have a good time, Western destroys Queen's. Sadly, it isn't even close. Unless you windsurf....

2) People at Queen's seem (and this is my impression of the Life Sci kids) more competitive here. Having said that, the Life sci grads in my class laughed at the first phase of meds here, as it was a better prep overall.

3) Reputation? Seriously? Both have a good reputation, and reputations for schools depend largely on program. Furthermore, as has been said, it doesn't matter at all for admission into medical school. The only reason to consider the reputation of the school you are going to attend is if it matters (ie Business school, or any degree with computers in the title), because this will affect your future job prospects.

4) The best advice I could give you is that which has already been given. To best enjoy your university experience, you need a school/city that best fits you as an individual. Western is composed of many more rich party kids who drive BMWs and Mustangs and have "daddys". I'll say this much, if you are a single male, it is SOOO the place to go. Queen's is a younger undergraduate class, and a little bit more uptight....which can be easily argued, is more conducive to producing high marks required for medical school. No matter where you go, you'll find a niche, and are likely to have a good time.

I personally loved Western, but I also see the charm of Queen's. So my advice....go to which ever is closest to free laundry (aka mom's).

That's one of the reasons I don't want to go to uoft and the fact that I would have to live at home if I did go to UofT

well for me staying at home would be an advantage because i have no distractions when i want to study and i can have fun and be comfortable.

i just want to know whether it is insanely difficult to maintain a high gpa at uoft scarborough in comparison to other universities.

• 2 weeks later...

most of my friends are going to UofT because it's the "best" in Canada and has a good reputation

To be honest with you McGill is the best in Canada, not UofT. If you go to US they rarely have heard about UofT but everybody knows about McGill and it has a reputation to be Harvard of Can. Adding to that Montreal is the coolest city in Can and trust me McGillers party crazier than anywhere you imagine.

________

PLYMOUTH VALIANT

most of my friends are going to UofT because it's the "best" in Canada and has a good reputation

To be honest with you McGill is the best in Canada, not UofT. If you go to US they rarely have heard about UofT but everybody knows about McGill and it has a reputation to be Harvard of Can. Adding to that Montreal is the coolest city in Can and trust me McGillers party crazier than anywhere you imagine.

Lol the reason American's know McGill is because Wilson wears a McGill sweatshirt on House....

just kidding, very good school.... but just because they've heard of the school in the U.S. doesn't mean much... poll the average American about how much they really know about Canada....

There's a bunch of good schools in Canada whether it's McGill, UofT, Western, Queens, U.B.C. or numerous others.... it'll come down to which school is best for the individual.

Archived