Premed 101 Forums

Easiest MD school to get into in Canada

Halcyon

You, sir, are making an inference that I did not. Do not project your insecurities onto me. The question was, as an in-province student, which school is the easiest to get into. This does not make it *easy* to get into, but *easier*. I am not questioning the caliber of these students, merely pointing out that some schools are easier than others.

Yes, I feel so insecure, what with being in med already... :rolleyes:

Guys, let's not focus too much on the total numbers of applications at Mac and Ottawa since at least 1/4 of these are people who have no realistic chance to begin with, but because of the stated requirements they'll just "apply and see what happens".There are also many, many people who write the MCAT and aren't even close to being prepared for it but they do it anyway.

You'd be suprised how many people apply to medical school who simply just should not have to begin with. The real competition is after you get the interview.

Insecure that someone is judging you as an inferior student for getting into an IP school. Why else would you bring up the subject and become so defensive over it?

Now who's making inferences based on nothing. You said:

Halcyon:

Cool.

Are you saying that b/c of GPA cut-offs?

Retsage:

More or less, yeah.

I.e. they are easier to get into because they have lower "cut-offs"

Anyhow, what do I have to be insecure about?

Guys, let's not focus too much on the total numbers of applications at Mac and Ottawa since at least 1/4 of these are people who have no realistic chance to begin with, but because of the stated requirements they'll just "apply and see what happens".There are also many, many people who write the MCAT and aren't even close to being prepared for it but they do it anyway.

You'd be suprised how many people apply to medical school who simply just should not have to begin with. The real competition is after you get the interview.

I think that's true, though actually getting to the interview is often a challenge - once you've passed that hurdle, the acceptance rates are pretty uniform at different schools, but then the admissions process particulars really start to matter. Dal considers everything throughout the entire process, while Queen's throws out MCAT and GPA, and Mac's list depends entirely on the interview and GPA. Unsurprisingly, these differences produce different results which really tell you nothing about the quality of applicants and everything about the process.

That being said, I think the increasing use of the MMI ought to improve things at least a bit. That, and more seats.

Quebec applicants to McGill have a 50%+ acceptance rate, higher than any other school in the country, so shall we make the inference that they have low standards too?

While the interview cut-off for Maritime residents at Dal isn't very high, entering classes have academic stats comparable to places like Queen's - this year the average GPA is 3.8 with a 30+ MCAT.

It's certainly true that Ontario schools are comparably (and ridiculously) difficult to get into, particularly Mac and UofO, but the larger number of applicants seems to simply make it into more of a lottery.

thats actually not true,

the 50% include the 1st year students (that come from cegep) that have already been accepted into med, but were doing the prep 1st year. so in the end the real acceptance rate is about half that.. so about 20-25%

I think a good look at all the "which school should I apply to" threads is a good way to find an answer to this question. Basically, the answer depends on your profile. IP or OOP status is but just one factor. Upward trend? 2 great years? Crappy MCAT? Awsome MCAT? Lots of EC's? No EC's? Rural hometown? Etc., etc., etc. Somewhere there's a school for you. There isn't one great person who would make the perfect lifetime partner for everyone. There isn't one school who is easiest to get into for everyone. In my opinion, it's all about finding the best fit.

That really doesn't make sense - if you match to a residency spot in another province, why should you be obligated to return after establishing a life somewhere else?

Hehe...

That's why I orginially said, "as the process stands now, it's not really working".

Who's to say you'd return to your home province after completing a residency somewhere else?

Which brings up the point again about why even have a IP/OOP admissions system?

Good debate :)

Dumb answer. Not all medical schools are hard to get into. Generally speaking, a rural resident from Northern ontario WILL have an easier time getting into NOSM than UofT. This is because the government MADE IT EASIER for rural northern ontario residents so that we can have more rural-based physicians. No one mentioned anything about the caliber of students, so I don't even know why you made that connection, but I sense that you felt that easier entry = less caliber students. Dumb Thread, should have actually been "Useless Thread" because all this information is not very useful to the OP, he/she was probably curious.

You are right Alastriss. I only read the title and posted my reply. I didn't read about the question of IP/OOP presented by the OP.

Why would they? Med schools want to produce doctors for their own province, not to educate them using provincial money and then ship them off. If a student has lived in the province for a while, odds are they'll want to stay there.

You're probably a bitter Ontario resident. Honestly, I can't blame you.

I was just talking about this today. So frustrating!

I'm not bitter... :rolleyes:

Hehe...

That's why I orginially said, "as the process stands now, it's not really working".

Who's to say you'd return to your home province after completing a residency somewhere else?

Which brings up the point again about why even have a IP/OOP admissions system?

Good debate :)

Well, based on what I know from my friends and I...people do tend to rank schools from their own home province higher than schools accross the country for residency.

Archived