Premed 101 Forums

HORRIBLE UNDERGRAD; realistic chances and possible suggestions

ladyofmed

Hi,

So I'm at a very difficult school, arguably the best in the country, and unfortunately my grades are not that great. I have failed a couple of science classes, etc. I am now improving my grades, but at most will graduate with a 3.2 GPA or so (I'm trying to estimate realistically). I feel if I had been studying at an easier university I could have a great GPA in science. I know I could be a great doctor, is there any chance I could get in to medical school, or should I just abandon this dream? As well, is there anything I should be doing now to better my chances if I even have any chance left at all (with specific respect to my GPA and schoolwork). Thanks.

Well what are your last two years like? You should check out the queens and western threads (accepted/rejected/waitlisted), many people with a poor cGPA have made it into meds with good last two year GPA's. That would be a good option. Or try to defer graduation and do one last year with a great GPA, but since you said your school is difficult, maybe you should try at another school in a less demanding program.

Are you SWOMEN? Northern/Rural? Underserviced area? Are you in your 3rd year? 4th year? What Province are you in?

There are many variables, but if you want it bad enough, it may come down to taking more school to boost your GPA and round out your extracurricular profile. It's not an unprecedented route to take.

I had a dismal couple of years, but fortunately I pulled out completely and have since started fresh at a different school. It sounds like you're too far into your program to just switch though, so I second working really hard for the last two years and banking on one of those schools.

Hi,

So I'm at a very difficult school, arguably the best in the country, and unfortunately my grades are not that great. I have failed a couple of science classes, etc. I am now improving my grades, but at most will graduate with a 3.2 GPA or so (I'm trying to estimate realistically). I feel if I had been studying at an easier university I could have a great GPA in science. I know I could be a great doctor, is there any chance I could get in to medical school, or should I just abandon this dream? As well, is there anything I should be doing now to better my chances if I even have any chance left at all (with specific respect to my GPA and schoolwork). Thanks.

Harvard? ;)

What school and program was this?

I think that you need to think really deeply about why your GPA was not was high as you think it could be. Did you not take school seriously? Are you overestimating the difficulty of your program relative to the rest of Canada? etc. etc.

I think you need to weigh all of those factors very carefully before jumping to the conclusion that it's the school that is the problem.

Just something that I thought I would share with all:

It is easy to get into UofT but hard to graduate from it.

It is hard to get into Harvard from easy to graduate from.

I had read this in an article an year ago, sorry can't find it.

Actually, If you're smart enough to get into Harvard, you probably have what it takes to graduate from Harvard. Further, the smartest students not only go to Harvard, they decide to DROPOUT: Bill Gates (Microsoft), Matt Damon, Mark Zuckerberg (facebook), Robert Frost, Buckminster Fuller, etc

To the OP: Grades aren't everything.

Guest soaring_eagle

There is more to "GPA" than intelligence. I think people tend to forget "learning" is so multidimensional. Before my dad died I was able to score really well in difficult classes (like 92 in calculus, class average 50%). But then when my dad passed it was like my brain turned off... and the easiest classes just got to me and university has been a struggle.

Saying its a "difficult school" in my opinion doesn't cut to the chase. You have to consider how your learning fits into the grande scheme of things.

I think "the best school in the country" would be pretty short sighted to hinder all of their students' chances at professional school by giving out unnecessarily low marks. Maybe it's not the school?

Archived