Premed 101 Forums

November 4, 2008 - Historic Election Night Reaction Thread!

The Law

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL, I have a few acquaintances on Facebook who are Republican and their statuses are getting more and more interesting. My favorite: "X is mourning the loss of capitalism, personal responsibility, and America as we know it." LOL.:rolleyes::D

Bush was a screw up....

McCain didn't prove he would reinvigorate anything...

Yet, with that said I am a staunch conservative. I am not a social conservative. Yet, I do strongly support economic conservatism and a government that is very minimally involved in ones personal affairs. Governments should always run a small surplus and invest this into infrastructure. Taxes should always be as low as possible, just enough to run a small surplus and run the few essential social programs which are publicly funded. I believe that strong military force is unfortunately required if one wants to be respected in certain parts of the world. It is more importantly a useful as deterrent from countries led by unstable hostile regimes.

The Bush Republicans have tarnished conservatism across the world and this is a legacy I resent...

Yet, I am hardly happy to see Obama as leader of the free world. His ideas are a different direction but the wrong direction too...

If any good comes from this the republican party will rebuild itself. It will become what it once was prior to the 1980s. I hope it will embrace libertarianism and true conservatism! It will be better for the world...

If it was only President Ron Paul.... Alas....

Congrats to you guys rooting for Barack. I really do hope he lives up to your expectations. :)

ya...i was for ron paul too...ron paul however wanted to leave iraq...ron paul wanted to cut the defence budget...ron paul wanted to cut spending...the conservatives ousted him...big time...

the republican party prior to the 1980s wasnt very right wing...reagan expanded government fyi

ya...i was for ron paul too...ron paul however wanted to leave iraq...ron paul wanted to cut the defence budget...ron paul wanted to cut spending...the conservatives ousted him...big time...

the republican party prior to the 1980s wasnt very right wing...reagan expanded government fyi

Yeah, I know. I liked Ron Paul because of many of his economic and small government concepts. His defence policy was kinda bitter, but still... I also thought he would have brought that fresh Republican face to knock out Barack. But the Republican party was and still is much too entwined in the grip of the social conservatives to embrace a man like Ron Paul or libertarian conservatism...

You guys do know Obama says he wants to remove free trade with Canada right????

This is NOT GOOD for you as this is not good for YOUR Canadian economy...

yeah but then some spokesperson reassured some canadian ambassador or something that he was just saying that to get elected ;)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++#######+++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++############+++++++++++++++

++++++++++###############+++++++++++++

+++++++++#####++++++++###++++++++++++

++++++++###++++++++++++###+++++++++++

++++++++##++++++++++++++###++++++++++

+++++++##+++++++++++++++####+++++++++

+++++++#+++++++++++++++++###+++++++++

++++++##+++++++++++++++++####++++++++

++++++#+++++++++++++++##++@##++++++++

+++++##++++++++++++############+++++++...

+++++##++++++++#+++##+####+####+++++++

+++++##++++#####+++#++#####+####++++++...

+++++##+++##+###+++#+++****++####+++++...

+++++##+++++#++#+++#+++++++++##++++++

+++++##++++@++++++++#+++++++##+#+++++

+++++#+++++++++++++++#++++++##+#+++++

++++++#+++++++++++++#++++++####++++++

++++++##+++++++++++####++++####++++++

++++++++++++++++@#+###++++++####+++++

+++++##+#+++++++++++++++++++##+#+++++

+++++#++++++++++++++##++++++####+++++

+++++#+@++++++++++######++++##+++++++

+++++#+#+#+++++++##+++#+++++##+++++++

++++++#++#++++++##+++###++++##+++++++

+++++++#++++++++++++++++++#####++++++

+++++++++#+++++++++++#++++#####++++++

+++++++++++#+++++++++++++############+

++++++++++++#+++++++++++#############+

+++++++++++++#++++++++###############+

++++++++++++++##++++########+########+

+++++++++++++#++###########++########+

+++++++++++###+++#########++#########+

++++++++#######++++######+++#########+

++++++#########+++++++##++++#########+

+++++##########+++++###++++##########+

+++############+++++#++++++##########+

++##############++++#++++++##########+

++##############++++++++++###########+

+###############++++++++++###########+

+############### ++++ +++++###########+

+###############++++++#++############+

+################+++++#++############+

I think McCain really did a good job in his concession speech; he looked relieved that the darn thing is over. Palin, meanwhile, looked pale and sad.

I think now's time to see what Obama will really do for America, so much for his grandeur of rhetorical speeches.

But I guess as a Canadian the entertainment is over. It was pretty good real life drama while it lasted. Thanks to Republican participant Palin and Joe-the-plumber. And for the climax, in case our viewers missed it, it was Oprah along with Jasse Jackson sobbing among many other non-celebrity guests.

See you next time, same place, 4 years later.

I think McCain really did a good job in his concession speech; he looked relieved that the darn thing is over. Palin, meanwhile, looked pale and sad.

I think now's time to see what Obama will really do for America, so much for his grandeur of rhetorical speeches.

But I guess as a Canadian the entertainment is over. It was pretty good real life drama while it lasted. Thanks to Republican participant Palin and Joe-the-plumber. And for the climax, in case our viewers missed it, it was Oprah along with Jasse Jackson sobbing among many other non-celebrity guests.

See you next time, same place, 4 years later.

Totally agreed!

now that the democrats have control of the presidency, the senate and the house, they better make some changes.

I don't get why people are harping on Obama being the first African American to be the president.

I'm more neutral in this election, but I am kind of annoyed how they would make this about race.

Firstly, he's half African American. He's also not an African American in the usual sense of the word. African American has an attached connotation of being part of African American culture in addition to being black... kind of how Asian in Canada doesn't mean one is from the continent Asia.

Obama has an African father who contributed genes that pigment his skin darker than the rest. He was raised by a white mother nowhere close to African Americans. He didn't have the African American experience other than any implicit discrimination of looking black. He went on to two Ivy League schools just like every other president. He wasn't from a disadvantaged background, didn't live in a black community, didn't grow up with black culture, etc.

If Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton became President, they would be the first African American presidents.

This isn't an Obama diss; this is just a diss against people who are making things about race. Race is IRRELEVANT in this case; I don't think Obama had any association to the usual African American experience.

African American has an attached connotation of being part of African American culture in addition to being black... kind of how Asian in Canada doesn't mean one is from the continent Asia.

What is African American culture? So if people like Oprah and Denzel Washington are in mainstream American culture (not that there is anything drastically different from American culture specific to blacks) they lose their identity as African Americans? Or are you referring to truly African Americans living in ghettos and troubled with law?

If Asian in Canada isn't from continent Asia, why he/she still Asian?

Obama has an African father who contributed genes that pigment his skin darker than the rest.

I don't think racism refers to genealogy/family tree, he's black that's the bottom line. And you should know that there's a reason first year biology is not taught to sociology/humanity students; there are big issues in society associated with blacks or other visible minorities that don't manifest genotype.[/quote

He was raised by a white mother nowhere close to African Americans.

His race still would have cost him the presidency had it not been for economic meltdown and Sarah Palin. I guess you missed references to Obama as terrorist, elitist, or Arab. All that were issues related to his race; people wouldn't vote because he's black.

He didn't have the African American experience other than any implicit discrimination of looking black. He went on to two Ivy League schools just like every other president. He wasn't from a disadvantaged background, didn't live in a black community, didn't grow up with black culture.

I think you're mistaking African American identity as modern century's slaves. There are many African Americans who are in similar position or even better position in terms of education and privileges. The fuss about the First African American president is not in terms of how blacks live today but the transition US has made since the abolition of slavery some 200 or so years back. After 2 generations, the most powerful man is black. That's why it is such a big deal because no one could hope that today will come at least not when we still have plenty of racism.[/quote

Race is IRRELEVANT in this case; I don't think Obama had any association to the usual African American experience.

Voter turn out especially among blacks was really high and that's just because he's black. Didn't he work in Chicago as a community organizer?

I don't get why people are harping on Obama being the first African American to be the president.

I'm more neutral in this election, but I am kind of annoyed how they would make this about race.

Firstly, he's half African American. He's also not an African American in the usual sense of the word. African American has an attached connotation of being part of African American culture in addition to being black... kind of how Asian in Canada doesn't mean one is from the continent Asia.

Obama has an African father who contributed genes that pigment his skin darker than the rest. He was raised by a white mother nowhere close to African Americans. He didn't have the African American experience other than any implicit discrimination of looking black. He went on to two Ivy League schools just like every other president. He wasn't from a disadvantaged background, didn't live in a black community, didn't grow up with black culture, etc.

If Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton became President, they would be the first African American presidents.

This isn't an Obama diss; this is just a diss against people who are making things about race. Race is IRRELEVANT in this case; I don't think Obama had any association to the usual African American experience.

I used to have a similar opinion- until I read a bit more about Obama. Yes, his mother was white, and he was raised by the white side of his family- but he does associate with the Kenyan side of his family, and before he went to law school, he spent years working in Black communities in Chicago as a community organizer. In addition to that, he married an African American woman. So he may not have been raised by black people, but I think it would be unfair to say that Obama knows nothing about the African American experience in America.

On a second point- race is viewed differently in America than it is up here. Up here, people who are half black are seen as such- half black. However, in the states they still very much adhere to the archaic 'one drop rule'- if you have *any* black/african american ancestry, then you are black. So, while Obama may be half white, the majority of Americans view him as being black- end of story.

Thirdly- from a personal point of view- not all of us are poor and disadvantaged. Can I not call myself black being I didn't grow up in a ghetto? Can I not call my self black because I didn't grow up in a black community? Would I have to disown my own heritage if I went to an Ivy league school? Now, I know thats not what you meant- but it came off that way. Being black isn't just what you see on TV. We are a very diverse people, just like the people of any race or ethnicity.

At the end of the day, if Kobe Bryant can be black, so can I. If 50 cent can be black, so can I. And If I can be black, then certainly Obama can be as well.

It's the "1 drop rule," same as with affirmative action.

Archived