Premed 101 Forums

GPA Calculation - OOP

I have checked USas website and forum but how can I convert my University of Ottawa Grades (which are letter, and 10 point system) into percentage GPA?

I suspect it is along the lines of A+ --> 95% A--> 87% etc can anyone please confirm? Also I have one B what does it get converted to? thank you

:) :)

I don't know, but for UofS Dentistry, they give the conversion as follows:

A+ = 93%

A = 88%

A- = 83%

B+ = 78%

B = 75%

B- = 73%

C+ = 68%

C = 65%

C- = 63%

D+ = 58%

D = 55%

D- = 53%

http://www.usask.ca/dentistry/admissions/faq.php?heading=menuAdmissions

I would think that the conversion for Medicine would be similar, but I'm really not sure. It's just a guess. Sorry.

I don't know, but for UofS Dentistry, they give the conversion as follows:

A+ = 93%

A = 88%

A- = 83%

B+ = 78%

B = 75%

B- = 73%

C+ = 68%

C = 65%

C- = 63%

D+ = 58%

D = 55%

D- = 53%

http://www.usask.ca/dentistry/admissions/faq.php?heading=menuAdmissions

I would think that the conversion for Medicine would be similar, but I'm really not sure. It's just a guess. Sorry.

Ouch if that is true you would pretty much have to get 93% or higher in every single one of your courses to get into the OOP stream (cut off was 92.4). that is just plain nasty!

Ouch if that is true you would pretty much have to get 93% or higher in every single one of your courses to get into the OOP stream (cut off was 92.4). that is just plain nasty!
Oh gosh, I hope it's not the real conversion. I just posted it because dent and med grade conversions may be similar.

Life would be a lot easier if UofS med just told us how they converted letter grades to %. *sigh*

Oh gosh, I hope it's not the real conversion. I just posted it because dent and med grade conversions may be similar.

Life would be a lot easier if UofS med just told us how they converted letter grades to %. *sigh*

or schools stopped using letter grades :) the problem with them is it creates artifical ceilings on grades. You can never get higher than a 93% in a course - which of course is a great grade, but it puts on on a non level playing field with those that can get higher. Chances are if you have the 92.4% OOP average required you have more than a few courses with higher than 93%.

I am an OOP who applied thru OMSAS for this past cycle and my unversity gives grades by letters on a GPA Scale of 4.3

When OMSAS made the conversion, they converted my B (remember out of 4.3) to 3.0 out of 4.0 GPA, which would mean (3 divided by 4) 75%.

A+ = 4.0 A = 3.9 A- = 3.7 B+ = 3.3, and you can divivde each of these numbers by 4 to obtain percentages.

I hope this may be of some help.

Hi guys, the conversion depends on the school you have done your undergraduate in. In some schools both letter and number grades are reported, in that case its easy...they just use your number grades. In some schools there are A+'s in that case I believe they are worth 95%. In some schools the maximum is an A, in that case they are 93% i think. Unfortunately I don`t really reember the rest of the conversion, but you can always email the office for a conversion scale for your school. In any case to meet the OOP cut off, your best 2 years pretty much has to have a lot of A+s and As.

• 3 weeks later...
I am an OOP who applied thru OMSAS for this past cycle and my unversity gives grades by letters on a GPA Scale of 4.3

When OMSAS made the conversion, they converted my B (remember out of 4.3) to 3.0 out of 4.0 GPA, which would mean (3 divided by 4) 75%.

A+ = 4.0 A = 3.9 A- = 3.7 B+ = 3.3, and you can divivde each of these numbers by 4 to obtain percentages.

I hope this may be of some help.

I can say its wrong with high confidence, because use 3.9/4=97.5% which is not right, because 3.9=85% to 89% for the GPA conversion for University of Waterloo on the OMSAS scale

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Actually, I just got a response back from Admissions. She said that A+ at my school is equivalent to 93%. Basically, the highest average I can possibly get is 93%....

But the top range of GPA% in last year's statistics is a 94.85% (http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/admissions/Admission%20statistics%202010%20five-year%20summary.pdf). Does anyone know how that is possible, given that the highest possible average for my undergrad university converts only to a 93%? Maybe the current USask med students can shed some light?

Actually, I just got a response back from Admissions. She said that A+ at my school is equivalent to 93%. Basically, the highest average I can possibly get is 93%....

But the top range of GPA% in last year's statistics is a 94.85% (http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/admissions/Admission%20statistics%202010%20five-year%20summary.pdf). Does anyone know how that is possible, given that the highest possible average for my undergrad university converts only to a 93%? Maybe the current USask med students can shed some light?

Obviously some poor sucker from outside of Saskatchewan attended a Saskatchewan university and was not given IP status. He then got a 95%. Geez, I don't want to know what you got in verbal reasoning.

generally speaking in my case, an A+ equated to a 95 % I am pretty sure....theres a slight chance I could be wrong, and I went to a school in ontario...are u sure your right about that 93????

From what I've heard that 93% max for certain OOP universities is correct.

The admissions stats includes UofS applicants, where grades are kept as straight percentages. That's why that max GPA is possible.

I am surprised that USask is so ignorant. Not only is their grade conversion not standardized, but they do not take into account that some schools have 4 credit courses. So, the credit for "full course load" can be taken with less than 10 courses from Sept-April. :mad:

I am surprised that USask is so ignorant. Not only is their grade conversion not standardized, but they do not take into account that some schools have 4 credit courses. So, the credit for "full course load" can be taken with less than 10 courses from Sept-April. :mad:

If you forward your comment along with your application they will give your suggestion its full due

The conversion depends on which school you went to.

I emailed the admissions board and asked for the conversion for my undergraduate school. My A+ was considered a 95%...

That's probably how that "someone" had the 94% average.. just depends on where you go!

Good luck everyone!

Anyone know when we can expect to hear about interviews?

Archived