Premed 101 Forums

LMCC study: your experience

Hi!

I know that this subject has been discuted before but let me explain why I need you to answer my questions. I work with an academic advisor in my med school to elaborate a list of useful references for LMCC preparation. So, here are my questions:

-Did you use Toronto Notes? Do you recommend it?

-Did you use other books? Was it helpful? Which one do you recommend (or not)?

-Did you use USMLE step 2 preparation books? Was it helpful? Which one do you recommend (or not)?

-Did you use bank of questions? Was it helpful? Which one do you recommend (or not)?

-Are bank of questions legal?

-Did you study alone or in a study group? Do you recommend it?

-When did you start to study for LMCC? Do you think it was to early/ to late?

-Anything to add about your experience of LMCC ?

Your help would be VERY appreciated ;-)

Thanks

ahahah

• 9 months later...

I used Toronto Notes and USMLE Step II first aid. Coming from a US school, I actually found the LMCC Part I to be extremely easy compared to Step II, which was quite surprising. I studied for the two together and basically just did practice questions for Step II and reviewed some of the public health stuff and Canadian-specific content. I actually did not like Toronto Notes due to the fact that it was just bare bones content.

I don't understand why Canadian students devote so much time to prepping for LMCC Part I. You guys are way too coddled your last year, getting a whole month of "back to basics" and other hand holding activities. You will have matched by the time you take the exam and all you need is a Pass. My advice to you is not to stress over this exam and to just do USMLE Step II practice questions and read up on the Canadian Public Health stuff, as I would not underestimate this section as it made up quite a bit of my exam. There is no point memorizing Toronto Notes as there is so much stuff in there. Most of your knowledge will have come from your rotations and the test really tests the culmination of everything throughout your 3rd and 4th years.

Incidentally, Part II was even more of a joke. There is a green book out there that pretty much spells out every single case scenario presented on that exam (although the grammar in that book is horrible you can pretty much use that to predict the questions you will get on your exam).

To answer your questions:

No, and no. The Toronto notes suck.

No.

-Did you use USMLE step 2 preparation books? Was it helpful? Which one do you recommend (or not)?

No.

-Did you use bank of questions? Was it helpful? Which one do you recommend (or not)?

I split on canadaqbank with a friend. There are a ton of typos and glitches in it so it may not be worth it. I'd probably stick with USMLEworld part II if you're hardcore on doing a qbank.

This sentence does not make sense...

Do what you feel works.

Two days prior to the exam I did a few questions in psychiatry and obgyn since I forgot basically all of the content.

It's more of an English proficiency exam than anything.

But I will add something: The failure rate tends to be higher in medical graduates from other countries. Your English is stilted, making me think you are from another country and you're trying to get a Canadian medical license. Therefore, what I, and everyone else, told you about not studying too much should not apply to you.

In your case I'd recommend getting USMLEworld part II and practicing a lot.

Unlike Moo, I found that the LMCC 1 was harder than the USMLE 2. The USMLE 2 is at least standardized... you buy the book, read it, do the questions, and you have a pretty good idea of what the exam will be like. The LMCC 1 was such a weird exam, and it's hard to prepare yourself for its style. That said, most of us pass!

I studied using all sorts of different books: Toronto Notes, First Aid, Kaplan questions, my own notes, and the LMCC 1 practice questions that our class knew of. With respect to the latter, I don't think this was very helpful for content purposes, but it did give me a taste of what the exam style itself was like.

For some reason I didn't know until later in the study period is that there are six sections of the exam, weighted equally: IM, Sx, ObGyn, Paeds, Psych and Ethics/Epidemiology/Can. Health Care. If you want "bang for your buck," study ObGyn, Paeds, Psych and major topics in the CLEO section *first.* While there is a lot to know, in each of these individual sections there is relatively less material than in IM or Sx. If you start off by studying IM and Sx, you can sink a lot of time there because of the sheer volume of information, but you won't get the "return" because you have only studied for 1/3 of the exam. I'm not saying don't study for IM or Sx, but just be careful to not spend too much time trying to comprehensively review these sections at the expense of studying for the 4 other sections, where the amount of information is a little bit more discrete.

Not eloquently put, but I hope I make sense...

Katie

To answer your questions:

No, and no. The Toronto notes suck.

No.

No.

I split on canadaqbank with a friend. There are a ton of typos and glitches in it so it may not be worth it. I'd probably stick with USMLEworld part II if you're hardcore on doing a qbank.

This sentence does not make sense...

Do what you feel works.

Two days prior to the exam I did a few questions in psychiatry and obgyn since I forgot basically all of the content.

It's more of an English proficiency exam than anything.

But I will add something: The failure rate tends to be higher in medical graduates from other countries. Your English is stilted, making me think you are from another country and you're trying to get a Canadian medical license. Therefore, what I, and everyone else, told you about not studying too much should not apply to you.

In your case I'd recommend getting USMLEworld part II and practicing a lot.

Well if you're a francophone immigrant you can always take the test in French I guess since it's offered in French in Quebec.

Peace

There is a green book out there that pretty much spells out every single case scenario presented on that exam (although the grammar in that book is horrible you can pretty much use that to predict the questions you will get on your exam).

Hey Moo,

Is this the OSCE prep book by the Dalhousie emerg resident?

thanks,

UBCmed09

Hey Moo,

Is this the OSCE prep book by the Dalhousie emerg resident?

thanks,

UBCmed09

No it's the one in the link above. I personally found it a great study resource, and you'll have quite a few laughs along the way (at the author's grammar). It's amazing how this thing wasn't edited at all. A lot of people didn't like it probably because it is bare bones and because of the gramma but the scenarios it has in it is exactly what I encountered on my exam. THere's also an exam pack floating around that all residents must have access to (through upper years) that is likely illegal as it consists of questions that past residents memorized.

And yeah I know most people found the LMCCs harder. But for me, I hated having to read those long long long clinical vignettes on USMLEs. I did way better on the LMCCs than I did on the USMLEs for some reason and my school was not at all geared to teaching for the LMCCs in the US. I must say though that the USMLE questions were more standardized and were generally better written. It may be that there was a huge focus on epidemiology when I took the LMCCs and that was the section that I'm best at, being a CM resident.

Bottom line is don't stress about the LMCCs. It's just another hoop you jump through in this game to get licensure. There are more important things in life to worry about.

Hi!

I know that this subject has been discuted before but let me explain why I need you to answer my questions. I work with an academic advisor in my med school to elaborate a list of useful references for LMCC preparation. So, here are my questions:

Yes, but only because there was nothing really that much better available. TO notes at least outlines the important topics and would just look up stuff in more detail somewhere else if needed. realistically, there is not enough time to read even the TO notes in its entirety. I don`t know that I would necessarily recommend it. But what else is there really. Last year around when we were writing the exam, there was a book that was coming out that was specifically for LMCC prep - first of its kind. Since it came out too late for our year, have no idea how good it is. But should be useful for people writing this year potentially.

used whatever books I already had as reference when wanting more detail than what the TO notes gave

no I did not

there were 2 practice exams our school gave us, courtesy of U of T I believe. these were helpful. there was another bank floating around but I never got a chance to use them. Also our school gave us 2 practice exams on the computer during year 4 - which was kind of helpful

you need to study however works for you. for example, I did not attend back-to-basics since I don`t find sitting in a lecture good learning for me

probably studied about a month. but really, in doing clerkship etc, you are preparing for the LMCC. the LMCC was so random, I don`t think studying any longer would have made a difference, and also I think I could have studied less and done the same.

Your help would be VERY appreciated ;-)

Thanks

ahahah

10 characters

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
Can someone please explain what this means? All I know is that USMLEs have longer stems. How are they different in the way they question you?

Most of the people who fail this exam are foreign medical graduates, and one of the prevailing theories is that it is because they have difficulty understanding the clinical vignettes and typing legible answers due to their lack of english proficiency.

Given that vast majority of domestic english/french speaking grads do not fail this exam may lend credence to this idea.

Archived