Premed 101 Forums

Do medical schools value work experience?

I know that medical schools value lots of volunteering but what about work experience in a healthcare clinic with lots of patient interaction? The reason I ask this question is because I might be having the opportunity to work in a health care centre but it will take up time in my schedule that could be used for volunteering at a hospital, etc. I think the question I want to ask is whether the adcoms will favour work experience over volunteering or vice versa?

In my opinion, go with the job(especially if you need the money!). Med schools won`t make a decision on whether or not a certain experience is valuable based on if you get paid for it. In most cases, a paid position should involve more responsibility as well, and that is always a plus.

Variety of experience seems to be a good thing, so maybe while working you could volunteer in a different position that interests you, it doesn't have to be health related.

That is just my opinion, and I am sure you will get some other good advice from those more experienced in med admissions. Good luck with everything.

edit: I just re-read your post and realized I didn`t exactly answer the question you asked at the end. To answer, no, adcoms won`t favour work experience over volunteering or vice versa, as it depends on each individual activity and how they demonstrate that you would make a good future doctor and such. But...adcoms do like a variety of experiences. Therefore if all you have done is work, then it would be beneficial to add some volunteering activities to your experiences before applying to show that you are willing to give up your time to a certain activity without money as a motivation.

Although it is not volunteering, you are involved with patients within the healthcare system and that is what counts I believe. Accept this position, don't think twice about it. Also, it might lead to a great LOR. In fact, stay late occasionally and do not accept pay for it - so this position will be both paid employee and volunteer! Let them know at the beginning that you will be doing this. I interned at a wellness centre and after I completed this program, they phoned me to replace personnel part-rime as a paid employee during the summer. It's great, I earn good money doing the same thing, while continuing to show compassion to patients.

Yeah, do both. That's what I'll do too. There are a lot of good reasons to have a job at the same time, and it demonstrates unique qualities too.

Not sure these few hours in work instead of volunteering would make the difference between 2 applicants.

I think doing all volunteering and no work is a bad idea. If you've got work experience plus volunteering, it shows that you can commit to a fulltime duty and also donate your time wisely. And it's a plus if it involves patient care. If you're spending 40 hours a week with patients versus the couple of hours each week at a hospital, I think it's clear which more effecitvely demonstrates your abilities, and not to mention letters of reference.

I know that medical schools value lots of volunteering but what about work experience in a healthcare clinic with lots of patient interaction? The reason I ask this question is because I might be having the opportunity to work in a health care centre but it will take up time in my schedule that could be used for volunteering at a hospital, etc. I think the question I want to ask is whether the adcoms will favour work experience over volunteering or vice versa?

ECs are important, but they are almost meaningless without the stats to match.

for sure go with employment. it won't count against you. from my experience, volunteering at hospitals is total BS anyway. if i were on an adcom, i wouldn't put much weight on hospital volunteering at all because i know it's garbage.

Archived