Premed 101 Forums

Men VS Women

w8kg6

Sup all. There hasn't been nearly enough controversy in this forum lately (lol), so I wanted to post this. I was having a conversation with a female friend tonight (I'm a dude, btw), and we touched down on a few double standards that the feminine movement hasn't addressed (and likely won't). I wanted to put it to the forums to get your sagelike input.

1) Woman can slap man, man can't slap woman - I was at a bar recently, and while texting a friend and leaning against a pillar, I was slapped by some girl who ordered me to 'get off her pillar'. I proceeded to thoroughly tell her off (and then get into a spat with her bf), but nevertheless, getting slapped was humiliating. Needless to say, no action was taken against the girl when this happened, although I'm sure I would have been pounced on by every guy in the bar if I slapped her back (even if I did so lightly).

2) Childcare - The ideology that women are incompetent workers and that women can't be functional workers in positions of power has gone the way of the dinosaur (or at least the bald eagle). This is something I agree with, but the view that men are incompetent parents continues to pervade our society. Take Al Bundy, Tim the Toolman Taylor, Homer Simpson, Peter Griffin... when compared to their conterparts, these men are protrayed as bumbling idiots. Except for maybe Danny from Full House, males are protrayed as incompetent in the household, which mirrors the widely held views of society at large. Regardless of how much I love my child or how great of a parent I am, I will always be seen as incompetent when compared to my mate, and in the future, my crying 2 year old will always 'want his mommy'.

What's the deal, yo?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:) (10 characters)

Yeah, I actually read a first-person account of a girl who was joking around with her BF and slapped him in public. Someone called the cops, she was arrested, and even though her BF said they were just joking around and wasn't gonna press charges, she ended up having to do community service and what not. Reality is, most men won't call the cops and go "boohoo, I tried to grope this girl and she slapped me, come and get her." But sometimes bystanders will.

Yeah, I actually read a first-person account of a girl who was joking around with her BF and slapped him in public. Someone called the cops, she was arrested, and even though her BF said they were just joking around and wasn't gonna press charges, she ended up having to do community service and what not. Reality is, most men won't call the cops and go "boohoo, I tried to grope this girl and she slapped me, come and get her." But sometimes bystanders will.

And if they do, the cops will make fun of them.

Childcare - the view that men are incompetent parents continues to pervade our society........males are protrayed as incompetent in the household, which mirrors the widely held views of society at large.

Of course, men are not incompetent parents. In many cases, men are better at child rearing. Society is changing it's views slowly away from gender biase. Again turning to law and the courts (as a reflection of society in this instance), men have an equal chance of oibtaining primary custody of their children and the court will deal with this issue on the merits.

I usually don't read subject headings so to me all your replies look the same, like some variation of "(10 characters)".

I'm probably not the only one.

Seriously, I often find I can summarize my thoughts in a few words, and the Title Line seems to be the perfect place to try to make my point. I tried to 'submit reply' but it won't take without 10 characters.

Plus, my reply is in bold. Quite often, my posts are extremely short (only in Title Line) or extremely lengthy. That's my story.

Actually, groping someone is also assault - in which case the girl would only be defending herself. ;)

Actually, groping someone is also assault - in which case the girl would only be defending herself. ;)

Groping is both assault and a sexual criminal offence:( - unless the groping is accepted as a welcome action by the gropee (in which case, it is neither an assault nor a sexual criminal offence) but is (inappropriate) foreplay. We return full cricle that perception is reality, in this case, it is only the preception of the gropee that matters.

Do you grope the concept?.:P

Archived