Premed 101 Forums

Own clinic

hp18

I didn't read the OP's question as referring to a *private* clinic.. just one's *own* clinic.. and rad onc does spend a significant portion of their time seeing clinic patients in the cancer centre.

Sorry.....I meant private clinic......owned by me........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Private rad clinics exist, and private path labs could exist.

The caveat on this is that you would need many partners to go in with you. The overhead for setting up such a clinic would be monstrous. Like Bill Gates monstrous.

On the rads side of things, the equipment would be unbelievably expensive, so that initial outlay of cash to get things up and running would be breathtakingly huge. On the path side, most of the equipment wouldn't be so terribly expensive, but you would need to hire a small army to work for you.

(I work in a lab . . . there are a lot of people needed to do all the things that turn path specimens into slides/results).

But, if you were to partner up with a cash-laden backer, there's no reason (to my knowledge) why you couldn't start either a private rad or path service.

(I'm betting, though, that your clinic would have to employ many radiologists or pathologists besides yourself . . . I don't think that you could possibly do enough work by yourself to break even, ever).

Other than family med, which other specialties allow me to have my own clinic?

As physiatrist, your client population would likely be industrial accidents (workmen's comp) and a variety of patients who need your services. Essentially, you would be relying upon referrals and therefore, you would want to be in a polyclinic situation where doctors in family medicine or other specialties would be your referral base. Where possible, polyclinics consist of doctor owned buildings used by doctors only in different specialties, and the rents paid go toward payment of mortgage, property taxes, maintenance, etc., where your equity increases over time as the building rises in value.

You would have physios working for you treating your patients in accordance with your instructions and you would be on the premises doing consults while the other patients are being treated, to be seen by you again after x no. of treatments.

Generally, you would create a corporate structure and arrange the management of your clinic to maximize tax savings, and you may choose to own the shares of the building in a separate company that has no other purpose.

Physiatrists sometime band together to set up their own clinic together, so that only one remains at the clinic on any given day while the others go to the hospital, perhaps have another office in a different location, go golfing or skiiing, etc. It can be quite lucrative I am led to believe.

For sure, the business aspects of medicine are extremely important and it may be important, depending upon the nature of the pracitce, to have a good team, busines lawyer, accountant experienced with medical practices and a finance arm to cover the cost of equipment required. Wonderful doctors are not always wonderful business people and poor decisions in the practice can lead to very costly errors.

Archived