Premed 101 Forums

Working in the Middle East

After reading all this army stuff, I'm sort of wondering if anyone would consider going to saudi arabia or dubai for a year after you're done? The pay is ridiculous, tax free, they give you a car, place to live, pay for your kids education, give you 6 weeks education; plus, Dubai is supposed to be beautiful! Seems like a better alternative to me if you're going into the army for the money thing. Anyone?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading all this army stuff, I'm sort of wondering if anyone would consider going to saudi arabia or dubai for a year after you're done? The pay is ridiculous, tax free, they give you a car, place to live, pay for your kids education, give you 6 weeks education; plus, Dubai is supposed to be beautiful! Seems like a better alternative to me if you're going into the army for the money thing. Anyone?

I would choose overseas rather than the military any day.

I would choose overseas rather than the military any day.

personally, would never move outside Canada...there is somewhat of an obligation to the country and its citizens whose taxes funded your education. you should probably return the favour to future students....

or you could sell your soul and follow the money ...

personally, would never move outside Canada...there is somewhat of an obligation to the country and its citizens whose taxes funded your education. you should probably return the favour to future students....

That wasn't the point of my answer. Would I choose a job overseas or the army if I were interested in the money? I would choose the job.

By the way, I'm a "rural" advocate--my soul will be just fine, thanks.

Part of being Canadian for me means being a global citizen. Sharing your knowledge and skills with others around the world seems to me to be a great way to fulfill your obligation to your country.

I personally wouldn't want to stay overseas for a super extended period of time just because I love home, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider pursuing certain opportunities if they came up.

i just wanna follow the warm weather :) moneys just a plus

I second the overseas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>military opinion.

I was actually thinking of doing an elective in ME. The only countries I've been to in that general area are Turkey and Egypt, but my mom and stepdad have traveled to Dubai and my dad's been to Israel a few times, and both loved it. I'd definitely consider spending some time there. However, I am not sure how limited my professional opportunities would be as a female, I understand there are quite a few cultural considerations involved for women both receiving and providing care.

I second the overseas>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>military opinion.

I was actually thinking of doing an elective in ME. The only countries I've been to in that general area are Turkey and Egypt, but my mom and stepdad have traveled to Dubai and my dad's been to Israel a few times, and both loved it. I'd definitely consider spending some time there. However, I am not sure how limited my professional opportunities would be as a female, I understand there are quite a few cultural considerations involved for women both receiving and providing care.

That really depends on which country you choose! And it would definitely be interesting to see what limitations would be put on you.

That really depends on which country you choose! And it would definitely be interesting to see what limitations would be put on you.

I understand Dubai is pretty friendly to Westerners, the other Emirates, not so much. Then again, they might only be accomodating if you're a tourist, if you are there in a professional role, you might be expected to obey all customs and laws just like the natives do.

I understand Dubai is pretty friendly to Westerners, the other Emirates, not so much. Then again, they might only be accomodating if you're a tourist, if you are there in a professional role, you might be expected to obey all customs and laws just like the natives do.

Definately. And I recommend not being stubborn (like a 17yr old girl) and just wearing the "normal" garb rather than just a t-shirt and shorts. Ahem. Lol.

What worries me the most about "out-of-country" experiences are my children...it's difficult enough moving them "in-country". My husband is game for anything--he's even willing to "flip burgers". LOL.

You're a judgmental idiot.

Are you a premed? Many premeds tend to have this overtly idealistic view of the world. So if you are, you stick out like a sore thumb.

People like you make a lot of other people happy. These other people will use your naive view of the world to make themselves very comfortable in life, all on your work and perceived sense of "honesty". Get real.

There is such thing as a "global" economy...and having highly trained doctors work in places (ANY PLACE) that needs them is a wonderful thing. If it helps the doctor pay off their loans...so be it.

This country DID NOT fund my post-secondary education. Holy crap--what province is he from? He got a free education? I certainly didn't.

Are you a premed? Many premeds tend to have this overtly idealistic view of the world. So if you are, you stick out like a sore thumb.

People like you make a lot of other people happy. These other people will use your naive view of the world to make themselves very comfortable in life, all on your work and perceived sense of "honesty". Get real.

I agree. He is an idiot.

Actually bnface has a valid point.

Undergraduate education is subsidized in Canada by the government.

Medical Education is HEAVILY subsidized in Canada. The true cost of educating a doctor in Canada is $ 100,000 per year. How many us pay that much?

Although there are many good reasons for working outside Canada (research, family, humaniterian, lack of options etc), going for the money alone is not morally justifiable in my view either. Paying off Canadian student loans is very doable if you work in Canada.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the acute doctor shortage here.

Isn't it the same person who ripped into that Air Canada doc, too?

Medical Education is HEAVILY subsidized in Canada. The true cost of educating a doctor in Canada is $ 100,000 per year. How many us pay that much?

Although there are many good reasons for working outside Canada (research, family, humaniterian, lack of options etc), going for the money alone is not morally justifiable in my view either. Paying off Canadian student loans is very doable if you work in Canada.

Oh yeah, and don't forget the acute doctor shortage here.

Doctor shortage everywhere, sadly.

Don't forget all the taxes your parents have paid over the years. Maybe YOU haven't paid for it out of YOUR pocket, but the money used by the government comes from the people, and it's not some anonymous John Doe, but your parents, grandparents, coworkers, professors, and, once you become part of the workforce, yourself.

Doctor shortage everywhere, sadly.

Canada's actually an awful lot better off than most of the rest of the world in that regard. Someone posted stats on the forums before during a discussion on IMGs, and some countries have literally 100x fewer doctors per capita than Canada does.

Don't forget all the taxes your parents have paid over the years. Maybe YOU haven't paid for it out of YOUR pocket, but the money used by the government comes from the people, and it's not some anonymous John Doe, but your parents, grandparents, coworkers, professors, and, once you become part of the workforce, yourself.

Right now I'm paying for half of my community to sit on their asses for 6mths of the year. Fun, isn't it?

Canada's actually an awful lot better off than most of the rest of the world in that regard. Someone posted stats on the forums before during a discussion on IMGs, and some countries have literally 100x fewer doctors per capita than Canada does.

10yrs ago this hospital was run by 1 doctor and bunch of nurses. They would have to call him at home to ask him what to do--it wasn't possible for him to be at the hospital all the time! He also ran a full-time clinic. He's not even a native-Canadian ;)

Right now I'm paying for half of my community to sit on their asses for 6mths of the year. Fun, isn't it?

I haven't paid much due to constant tuition credits and only working part-time for most of the 3 years I've been here, but I'm sure I'll make up for it in like 3 years of being an MD, lol. Once you start making real money, it's mind-blowing how much they take off in taxes. The taxes deducted from my (unimpressive) ambulance paycheck right now would pay for 2-3 people on AISH. As an MD, you're probably supporting several dozen people (obviously, your taxes go to many other uses such as building roads, etc, but let's ignore that for argument's sake).

I haven't paid much due to constant tuition credits and only working part-time for most of the 3 years I've been here, but I'm sure I'll make up for it in like 3 years of being an MD, lol. Once you start making real money, it's mind-blowing how much they take off in taxes. The taxes deducted from my (unimpressive) ambulance paycheck right now would pay for 2-3 people on AISH. As an MD, you're probably supporting several dozen people (obviously, your taxes go to many other uses such as building roads, etc, but let's ignore that for argument's sake).

I have no problem with money going into the country for social services...I have a problem with people considering a free-ride for vacation. Sigh. Lol.

10yrs ago this hospital was run by 1 doctor and bunch of nurses. They would have to call him at home to ask him what to do--it wasn't possible for him to be at the hospital all the time! He also ran a full-time clinic. He's not even a native-Canadian ;)

LOL, I just LMAO'd at your sig...the "Look, mom, I'm going to break my neck!" one in particular.

And yeah, that's how the hospital I work with is set up, as well. The doc's on call 24/5, and then on the weekends he usually has locums coming in.

Archived