Premed 101 Forums

Working in the Middle East

LOL, I just LMAO'd at your sig...the "Look, mom, I'm going to break my neck!" one in particular.

Yup. Guess that threat didn't really work, did it? Lol. She was jumping of the bed with the INTENTIONS of landing on her head. Sigh. :eek:

Poor doctor...poor doctor's family. Gotta love the dedication.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. Guess that threat didn't really work, did it? Lol. She was jumping of the bed with the INTENTIONS of landing on her head. Sigh. :eek:

My stepdad just sent me a news article about this 10-yo girl who jumped off a 2nd story building on a bet, landing in the hospital with a spinal compression injury, blunt abdo trauma, and concussion...then I realized it was my sister's best friend/neighbor. *facepalm* My stepdad said she's been talking about jumping off a building for a while now, he's just happy it didn't take place in front of my sister.:rolleyes:

My stepdad just sent me a news article about this 10-yo girl who jumped off a 2nd story building on a bet, landing in the hospital with a spinal compression injury, blunt abdo trauma, and concussion...then I realized it was my sister's best friend/neighbor. *facepalm* My stepdad said she's been talking about jumping off a building for a while now, he's just happy it didn't take place in front of my sister.:rolleyes:

It's scary. I had to teach her about death just so she would "understand". She now knows that if she "dies" she'll never see mommy, daddy, or brudder ever again. She's not impressed, but it's working.

She was contemplating jumping out my 2-story living room window so she could skip using the stairs (I haven't found a company that can install a top lock on the window :( )

Why are my children suicidal?

It's scary. I had to teach her about death just so she would "understand". She now knows that if she "dies" she'll never see mommy, daddy, or brudder ever again. She's not impressed, but it's working.

She was contemplating jumping out my 2-story living room window so she could skip using the stairs (I haven't found a company that can install a top lock on the window :( )

Why are my children suicidal?

To be fair, I jumped off a (1-story) building on a bet when I was 9, so I probably shouldn't be talking. It was also barefoot.:rolleyes:

You're a judgmental idiot.

Are you a premed? Many premeds tend to have this overtly idealistic view of the world. So if you are, you stick out like a sore thumb.

People like you make a lot of other people happy. These other people will use your naive view of the world to make themselves very comfortable in life, all on your work and perceived sense of "honesty". Get real.

First of all, I am a 2nd year medical student. I assure you, my life experiences ensure I am quite aware about balancing practicality and idealism. Second, I rather be overly idealistic vs. perennially cynical, as is obvious from the tone of many of your posts on this website. Moving to Dubai for personal financial gain when we are in a profession that is so privileged financially is nothing short of utter selfishness. Now, of course you're gonna say we don't make that much. But please--the average income in Canada hovers at about 35-40 grand annually. As future physicians, WE NEED TO BE SURE THAT WE DON'T BECOME DISENGAGED WITH REALITY. Okay, so we don't make as much as CEOs or financial consultants--but we can pay the bills, and do something meaningful in a country that we owe. Your parents' tax money did not fund your education; collective taxes funded it.

And whoever made that stupid post about being a good Canadian means being a "global citizen" also has no idea what they are talking about. Parking your ass in Dubai is not going to make you a good global citizen. Dubai and surrounding area is sufficiently wealthy to have far more health care resources than Canada could imagine, and well-trained physicians/surgeons who spend their residencies in Canadian and American hospitals. If you want to be a good global citizen, one should stop trying to avoid taxes and join MSF and spend your life in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Darfur, Northern Canada with the Inuit, or how about THE CANADIAN MILITARY, and help out in Afghanistan where you will be treating predominantly innocent civilians caught in crossfire (Canadian soldiers are shipped by plane to Europe for better healthcare immediately after being stabilized).

And to whoever called me an idiot--you are an idiot.

First of all, I am a 2nd year medical student. I assure you, my life experiences ensure I am quite aware about balancing practicality and idealism. Second, I rather be overly idealistic vs. perennially cynical, as is obvious from the tone of many of your posts on this website. Moving to Dubai for personal financial gain when we are in a profession that is so privileged financially is nothing short of utter selfishness. Now, of course you're gonna say we don't make that much. But please--the average income in Canada hovers at about 35-40 grand annually. As future physicians, WE NEED TO BE SURE THAT WE DON'T BECOME DISENGAGED WITH REALITY. Okay, so we don't make as much as CEOs or financial consultants--but we can pay the bills, and do something meaningful in a country that we owe. Your parents' tax money did not fund your education; collective taxes funded it.

And whoever made that stupid post about being a good Canadian means being a "global citizen" also has no idea what they are talking about. Parking your ass in Dubai is not going to make you a good global citizen. Dubai and surrounding area is sufficiently wealthy to have far more health care resources than Canada could imagine, and well-trained physicians/surgeons who spend their residencies in Canadian and American hospitals. If you want to be a good global citizen, one should stop trying to avoid taxes and join MSF and spend your life in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Darfur, Northern Canada with the Inuit, or how about THE CANADIAN MILITARY, and help out in Afghanistan where you will be treating predominantly innocent civilians caught in crossfire (Canadian soldiers are shipped by plane to Europe for better healthcare immediately after being stabilized).

While I disagree with your first posting in response to my own, I did enjoy this. Lol (typical of me).

Not everyone wants to spend their lives overseas--most people who want to have already left for their MDs over there, or have joined ROTP. I do agree that doctors need to stay within Canada, but don't worry--anyone who works overseas to gain a large chunk of money will be highly taxed when they return.

A lot of your points are valid arguments. However, the thing that rubs me wrong about this and a few preceding posts of yours is the overall undertone of "I am better than you, for I am high and mighty and the forum's moral compass." Just as we have people like this among premeds (their reasons for going into medicine are ALWAYS much better and more altruistic than everyone else's), the trend obviously doesn't stop in medical school, where it appears we have a handful of people who think their career choices are somehow more noble than those of others'. Get off your high horse. No one stops YOU from going to Darfur, NWT, etc, and you are by no means entitled to passing judgment on people who are interested in going to Dubai, US, or just plain staying in a big Canadian city and serving your average patient population without beating themselves in the chest and proclaiming their committment to the underprivileged. And after all, all the OP asked was how something like Dubai compares to the CF...and let's not kid ourselves about all the "noble intentions" that surface on these forums around May 15th where people suddenly discover a burning desire to help their country, in exchange for a fat paycheck from the Forces (incidentally, such desire was rarely present before medical school applications were submitted). If CF didn't sponsor med students, when it comes to MOTP posts, we'd have **** all.

You are a naïve idiot

The collective taxes of Canadians subsidize day care, elementary, Highschool, Undergrad; not to mention every other facet of Canadian society.

From your tone its clear your nothing but pinko Communist. Absolutely convinced that the collective should be more important then the individual and his right to make his own decisions for his own life. They tried your idea of worrying about the collective before the individual; it does not work. Its none of your business how someone chooses to use their skills and expertise after working hard for them.

Do yourself a favor and watch this video:

Your so called financial moral superiority is a joke.

And in regards to the military I myself have applied for this year cycle. And would proudly join, and yes part of me would do it for the money and the other part would be because I am interested in it. And you know what, that is my business.

Would you apply? The great humanitarian crusader, I doubt it. Usually because the biggest idealists are the biggest pus34ies when comes right down to it.

You make yourself believe that you are in medicine strictly for the humanitarian aspect. That is such lying bull$h*# when people say that.

If that is the case then donate any salary over 50,000 to charity; perhaps the IMF or a poor pre-med. But until you do that you are nothing but hypocrite.

So take your pretentious arguments back to the NDP office and sip on your green apple martini.

You are a naïve idiot

So take your pretentious arguments back to the NDP office and sip on your green apple martini.

Hey now...leave the martini out of it.

Without benefits, we probably wouldn't be able to sport any form of military. People work to make a living...it's wonderful when people work to enhance society alongside of that, but we must be realistic--it's a job.

This is not so much about medicine then it is about doing whats right. If a country spends of lot of effort (financial) in educating a skilled professional, there is an expectation for the individual to serve that country. Try bringing the intention of going to Dubai in any medical interview and see how far you get.

The people who are accepting you into the medical profession expect you to serve Canada's needs. By not doing so (for financial gain), you are indirectly violating their trust and the public's faith.

I could throw the whole argument right back at him for living in a structure of government which allows the world bank to lend to poor countries, often agreed to by the elites of the country, then call in the loans and restructure for concessions which privatize critical resources and indirectly kill millions... morals turn into rhetoric, and i can spin it right back at him, how can you allow yourself to be trained by money that was indirectly brought into canada from the oppression of billions? LOL * 100

A lot of your points are valid arguments. However, the thing that rubs me wrong about this and a few preceding posts of yours is the overall undertone of "I am better than you, for I am high and mighty and the forum's moral compass." Just as we have people like this among premeds (their reasons for going into medicine are ALWAYS much better and more altruistic than everyone else's), the trend obviously doesn't stop in medical school, where it appears we have a handful of people who think their career choices are somehow more noble than those of others'. Get off your high horse. No one stops YOU from going to Darfur, NWT, etc, and you are by no means entitled to passing judgment on people who are interested in going to Dubai, US, or just plain staying in a big Canadian city and serving your average patient population without beating themselves in the chest and proclaiming their committment to the underprivileged. And after all, all the OP asked was how something like Dubai compares to the CF...and let's not kid ourselves about all the "noble intentions" that surface on these forums around May 15th where people suddenly discover a burning desire to help their country, in exchange for a fat paycheck from the Forces (incidentally, such desire was rarely present before medical school applications were submitted). If CF didn't sponsor med students, when it comes to MOTP posts, we'd have **** all.

This is not so much about medicine then it is about doing whats right. If a country spends of lot of effort (financial) in educating a skilled professional, there is an expectation for the individual to serve that country. Try bringing the intention of going to Dubai in any medical interview and see how far you get.

The people who are accepting you into the medical profession expect you to serve Canada's needs. By not doing so (for financial gain), you are indirectly violating their trust and the public's faith.

Yes. Your tone of voice doesn't ring "personal attack" though.

i'm also a pacifist, i refuse to join the military because i think profiting of the deaths of others is morally bankrupt!

Yeah, if the people interviewing me were not bringing down $200,000 and above and were donating their huge salaries to the benefit of Canadian society the collective then i would accept your point. Its easy to say your a humanitarian when you have a huge house and nice car an all the perks, and make yourself believe you did all for the benefit of your patients alone. What a crock. Mother Teresa was a true humanitarian. Do not get me wrong its a privilege to be physician for so many reasons; however, until you donate a portion of your huge salary to charity you are lying to your self about your ABSOLUTE altruistic intentions

Yeah, if the people interviewing me were not bringing down $200,000 and above and were donating their huge salaries to the benefit of Canadian society the collective then i would accept your point. Its easy to say your a humanitarian when you have a huge house and nice car an all the perks, and make yourself believe you did all for the benefit of your patients alone. What a crock. Mother Teresa was a true humanitarian. Do not get me wrong its a privilege to be physician for so many reasons; however, until you donate a portion of your huge salary to charity you are lying to your self about your ABSOLUTE altruistic intentions

I think you misunderstood my post. This is not about being a doctor, or being a humanitarian or making 200 K. This has to do with fulfilling the expectations of being accepted to and going though the medical program in Canada; which is to contribute to Canadian Healthcare.

And as a side note. Medical interviewers are NOT looking only for altruism for qualities in the medical student. I mentioned highly competitive specialties that I was interested in and it didn't impact me negatively.

And as a side note. Medical interviewers are NOT looking only for altruism for qualities in the medical student. I mentioned highly competitive specialties that I was interested in and it didn't impact me negatively.

Well, of course they wouldn't frown upon that, the more grads they send off to competitive specialties, the better their school looks in comparison to others. In the US in particular match lists are a HUGE deal for the school.

I think you misunderstood my post. This is not about being a doctor, or being a humanitarian or making 200 K. This has to do with fulfilling the expectations of being accepted to and going though the medical program in Canada; which is to contribute to Canadian Healthcare.

true. just stating that just because were interested in money does not mean we are bad doctors or will not contribute to medicine effectively. I am sure there are a few that are really not concerned with money, security at all. I commend them and admire them. However, they are extremely rare.

we have to have strobe lights and armin van buuren... IN PERSON :)

I can get you the strobes, it's about time I used my employment on the ambulance to my advantage (well, save for those 50 times when I used it to get free/discounted food from a variety of establishments throughout the province...). The van buuren thing, you have to take care of it yourself, because I don't even know who it is.

true. just stating that just because were interested in money does not mean we are bad doctors or will not contribute to medicine effectively. I am sure there are a few that are really not concerned with money, security at all. I commend them and admire them.

Me too, I just don't think they'd be on p101 bringing others down.

personally, would never move outside Canada...there is somewhat of an obligation to the country and its citizens whose taxes funded your education. you should probably return the favour to future students....

or you could sell your soul and follow the money ...

how about you work for 10k per year to return the favour?

Archived