Premed 101 Forums

An eyebrow ring gone bad! Anyone want to give advice to me?

I have to wait a couple of months for my dermatology appointment (wtf!?) so in the meantime I thought I'd give this a shot.

I think my eyebrow ring was infected so my doctor prescribed me some antibiotics for it. But as soon as I finished them the two big reddish brown bumps around the barbell would appear again. I'm pretty convinced I'm just allergic to the steel (there's probably trace amounts of nickel in it), but I don't want to take it out yet because I want the swollen bumps to go down first. Is there some kind of cream or whatever I can put to ease the swelling?

By the way, when I decide to take my piercing out, will my skin be permanently discolored? Oh and I've been having a lot of headaches lately at the sides of my head (right in front of my ear). Does this have anything to do with the piercing? :confused:

Sorry for this thread being really random but hopefully someone can help me out!

I have to wait a couple of months for my dermatology appointment (wtf!?) so in the meantime I thought I'd give this a shot.

I think my eyebrow ring was infected so my doctor prescribed me some antibiotics for it. But as soon as I finished them the two big reddish brown bumps around the barbell would appear again. I'm pretty convinced I'm just allergic to the steel (there's probably trace amounts of nickel in it), but I don't want to take it out yet because I want the swollen bumps to go down first. Is there some kind of cream or whatever I can put to ease the swelling?

By the way, when I decide to take my piercing out, will my skin be permanently discolored? Oh and I've been having a lot of headaches lately at the sides of my head (right in front of my ear). Does this have anything to do with the piercing? :confused:

Sorry for this thread being really random but hopefully someone can help me out!

If you have an infection of a foreign body, antibiotics aren't going to work. You have to take it out to clear the infection. You most likely have an infected piercing. Just take out the thing.

TAKE IT OUT.

Look, if you're allergic to steel, keeping it in is not a long-term possibility. It sounds a lot more like an infection. I'd have to review the venous drainage of pterygoid region, but it's possibly related.

TAKE IT OUT. And keep it out. (Particularly since it might be considered too "unprofessional" for medicine.) But the best option would be to return to your doctor...

I met a pediatric resident a year ago who had pink hair, piercings EVERYWHERE, and wore Gothic-style clothing. She was great with the kids but certainly didn't look the part.

It depends on the area and the staff of course, but the general rule of thumb is to wear what your preceptor wears (or equivalent) until you don't have to. ;)

It depends on the area and the staff of course, but the general rule of thumb is to wear what your preceptor wears (or equivalent) until you don't have to. ;)

Yup, agreed (doing a business degree...often graded on standard of dress!)--while it doesn't matter too much to me (unless inappropriate body parts are showing...like buttless shorts or something, lol) I still find it amazing what some people are permitted to wear in the workplace.

Yup, agreed (doing a business degree...often graded on standard of dress!)--while it doesn't matter too much to me (unless inappropriate body parts are showing...like buttless shorts or something, lol) I still find it amazing what some people are permitted to wear in the workplace.

I've never seen a resident or physician dress anything other than "professionally" - keeping in mind that that encompasses a fairly wide range of attires. Here in Austria, though, everyone has to wear white - white pants, white shirt (T-shirts are fine), and probably white shoes too in order to match the white coat. I get away with not doing any of this by being in the OR all day, but it's definitely different!

I've never seen a resident or physician dress anything other than "professionally" - keeping in mind that that encompasses a fairly wide range of attires. Here in Austria, though, everyone has to wear white - white pants, white shirt (T-shirts are fine), and probably white shoes too in order to match the white coat. I get away with not doing any of this by being in the OR all day, but it's definitely different!

Yikes. I can only imagine how much bleach must be used in order to keep those clean.

Question for the more senior folks here (being a lowly 2nd year medical student): is it possible for the infected area to close off the hole and form an abscess if you take out an infected piercing without being on antibiotic treatment?

Also, half_jack, is your barbell close to the danger area of the face?

I just got my ears pierced a couple of weeks ago. So far so good... *knocks on wood*

If you have an infection of a foreign body, antibiotics aren't going to work. You have to take it out to clear the infection. You most likely have an infected piercing. Just take out the thing.

I've been told that if I take the piercing out during an infection, the infection will be trapped inside.. :confused:

TAKE IT OUT.

Look, if you're allergic to steel, keeping it in is not a long-term possibility. It sounds a lot more like an infection. I'd have to review the venous drainage of pterygoid region, but it's possibly related.

TAKE IT OUT. And keep it out. (Particularly since it might be considered too "unprofessional" for medicine.) But the best option would be to return to your doctor...

haha I was planning to take it out come med school applications. Looks like I have to take it out even sooner :(

I've been told that if I take the piercing out during an infection, the infection will be trapped inside.. :confused:

I had an infected blister this year (a lot worse than it sounds) and one of the problems I had stemming from it was that the wound closed up but there was still a major infection underneath. The advice my GP gave me was to put antibiotic ointment on it and wrap it with cellophane so all the moisture is sealed right in the wound. Obviously, it's a lot easier to do on an infected ankle than an eyebrow, but it sounds like the best thing to make sure the wound continues to drain is to keep it moist. Experiment with some things to see if you can achieve that. Antibiotic ointment and a decent-sized tight waterproof bandaid might work. I'd call your doc and double-check what s/he thinks of that first, though.

Archived