Premed 101 Forums

Grad Courses at U of T

I recently started working on my Masters (I'm in the IMS department) and was wondering if there are any grad students that have courses to recommend to help fulfill degree requirements? I'm going to have to take 1.0 courses in addition to this 2 year long seminar that I have to attend... does anyone know if there are grad level courses offered during the summer? Any tips on knowing if the course is good or not or on picking classes in general? I think the courses are supposed to be related to my field (Cancer Biology).

I recently started working on my Masters (I'm in the IMS department) and was wondering if there are any grad students that have courses to recommend to help fulfill degree requirements? I'm going to have to take 1.0 courses in addition to this 2 year long seminar that I have to attend... does anyone know if there are grad level courses offered during the summer? Any tips on knowing if the course is good or not or on picking classes in general? I think the courses are supposed to be related to my field (Cancer Biology).

"they gave me a college degreeee, in bioloogyyyy"

"he can't tell a tiger from a giraffe!"

I am starting my MSc. in Sept in Neuroscience, and also wondering is current grads have any course recommendations.

Molecular biology techniques (LMP 1510) is a joke as far as grad courses go. Mind-numbingly boring and almost insultingly easy. Personally, I can't tolerate courses like that but I knew nothing about it when I signed-up. If you're looking for a relatively easy A (plus), I'd recommend it.

As for neuroscience courses, depending on your background & project, you should take either cell & molecular neurosci (I *think* the grad course code is JNS (R?) 1444) or systems neurosci (JNS ®?) 1440). These will give you a firm grounding in the subject matter. Lots of material but nothing is particularly difficult. Some lecturers are better than others but you get a revolving door of people so if one's bad, they only last a lecture or 3. If you're enrolled in the Dpt. of Physiology, you're out of luck though - can't take a joint undergrad/grad course for credit. Otherwise, pretty sure you're good to go...

have fun!

this may be a stupid question, but is there any advantage to taking more grad courses than the required minimum? i'm starting my masters this year at u of t as well and i was wondering about all these courses they have listed that aren't required. do people take courses just to take them? i guess it could help your grad GPA...? but med schools wouldn't care much about those marks, right?

i dont think its an adv.

i feel like it actually looks bad, coz then ur prof is like "wtf guy...u have to work for me"

and your like "guy, come on, guy"

and hes like "guy"

and your like "guy"

and hes like "GUY"

and your like "GUYYYYY"

end of story...

(but pharm considers all courses taken, incl grad for gpa calc)

Well, it all depends on where your supervisor is located. You have to apply to your department first - for example, mine is IMS (institute of medical science). Then, when I applied I tried to locate a supervisor... the one I ended up picking is located in Mount Sinai. Once him and I came to an agreement with him, I let IMS know and then they sent me an acceptance offer. You just have to make sure the supervisor you are interested in has an appointment with the department you are applying to.

Re: courses

I honestly don't see any advantage to doing more classes, except that some schools will count them towards your GPA. However, if you're done undergrad, you already know it's very hard to change your GPA. I honestly don't even feel I have time to do many classes because I have an insane amount of work to do for my project already. Just keeping up with that is tedious enough.

Molecular biology techniques (LMP 1510) is a joke as far as grad courses go. Mind-numbingly boring and almost insultingly easy. Personally, I can't tolerate courses like that but I knew nothing about it when I signed-up. If you're looking for a relatively easy A (plus), I'd recommend it.

As for neuroscience courses, depending on your background & project, you should take either cell & molecular neurosci (I *think* the grad course code is JNS (R?) 1444) or systems neurosci (JNS ®?) 1440). These will give you a firm grounding in the subject matter. Lots of material but nothing is particularly difficult. Some lecturers are better than others but you get a revolving door of people so if one's bad, they only last a lecture or 3. If you're enrolled in the Dpt. of Physiology, you're out of luck though - can't take a joint undergrad/grad course for credit. Otherwise, pretty sure you're good to go...

have fun!

Hey...I am thinking about taking the molecular bio course and wanted to know if the paper (which is worth 40%) was ok in terms of difficulty of the research problem and if it was done in groups?

Thanks

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i dont think its an adv.

i feel like it actually looks bad, coz then ur prof is like "wtf guy...u have to work for me"

and your like "guy, come on, guy"

and hes like "guy"

and your like "guy"

and hes like "GUY"

and your like "GUYYYYY"

end of story...

(but pharm considers all courses taken, incl grad for gpa calc)

I also think so.

Archived