Premed 101 Forums

Gun/hunting Lisence

aqm

My guess is that it won't hurt nor hinder your application. The admissions committees are entirely made of all eco-enviro nuts and while some people think hunting it evil and it generally is given a bad rep alot of people see it as a healthy, active hobby that gets you into the great outdoors.

There is definitely something wrong with trophy hunting.

Hunting for food is acceptable, though I don't agree with it (veg).

Well this didn't surprise me at all, always one of you somewhere.

So you agree with hunting for your ego and simply for mounting an animal on your wall?

Hunt for your food, not for your pride.

Because I find these debates fascinating: do you also disagree with sport-fishing?

I find it quite funny that many anti-sport hunters often have no problem with sport-fishing (I don't think they've thought it through).

I eat what I hunt (and what I fish).

i dunno guys and gals. I think you give the human element too much credit. if something has the potential to really turn someone off, be smart.

if you wanna prove you can get in cause your the man or whatever and dont want to be strategic thats fine, but it can hurt you, more than not including it would.

i know when i read over resumes in the corporate world, even though i had to be objective, i wasn't. i can admit it - and i promise you i'm the norm, not the idiot exception. if you said you owned a gun, or liked to hunt, i think i'm gonna go with the person who likes to play football.......or read.........or does something not involving cockin and lockin

just sayin

We may be missing something here....

There is a good chance that NOSM adcom will look at fishing, hunting, or an outdoors card as a indication of someone who may like to stay in Northern Ontario in the future.

Just my 2 cents

I think it's quite all right to put it on the application.

We may be missing something here....

There is a good chance that NOSM adcom will look at fishing, hunting, or an outdoors card as a indication of someone who may like to stay in Northern Ontario in the future.

Just my 2 cents

true. could be. gotto try to know

There is definitely something wrong with trophy hunting.

Hunting for food is acceptable, though I don't agree with it (veg).

I don't hunt, but I do biology. Regulated trophy hunting can be good for an ecosystem because it removes older animals (the biggest ones) and allows sufficient food for younger animals that reproduce more frequently.

i dunno guys and gals. I think you give the human element too much credit. if something has the potential to really turn someone off, be smart.

if you wanna prove you can get in cause your the man or whatever and dont want to be strategic thats fine, but it can hurt you, more than not including it would.

i know when i read over resumes in the corporate world, even though i had to be objective, i wasn't. i can admit it - and i promise you i'm the norm, not the idiot exception. if you said you owned a gun, or liked to hunt, i think i'm gonna go with the person who likes to play football.......or read.........or does something not involving cockin and lockin

just sayin

I just hit the shooting range. :) Cock 'n lock without any messy birds or the like.

I don't hunt, but I do biology. Regulated trophy hunting can be good for an ecosystem because it removes older animals (the biggest ones) and allows sufficient food for younger animals that reproduce more frequently.

You could also be killing off bambi's mom before bambi's ready to live on her own. >.>

Haha, this thread is interesting.

While any discussion at this point could only benefit next years applicants, I'll add my $0.02.

It's been said already, but the human element cannot be underestimated here.

Your AB and submissions account for 1/3 of your mark. That's fairly substantial. I'm not sure of how the AB is scored (and how it is scored in relation to the submissions [1/6th each?]), but there are really 3 scenarios.

You report you love to hunt/shoot guns or whatever the case may be.

1. Marker hates hunting/guns and you get a lower score because hey, objectivity is damned near a fallacy.

2. Marker accepts your hunting as a recreational activity that may strengthen ties to the North.

3. Marker will not care either way.

I think 3 is most likely, to be honest... but hey, who knows.

Also, remind yourself that your AB is scored by two people, and the average score is calculated and recorded.

Option 1 is the least likely scenario. Hunting and fishing are both a big part of the north, a very big part I'd say. Either the marker will not care, or will either relate to your affinity for things that go boom and killing/eating animals, or be able to appreciate that, as a northerner, it's a very common proclivity to have, and so not hold it against you.

Thnks guuy for all there insightful comments....in my MBS I did mention the gun license.....but i did not mention theoutdoor card/hunting licesnse boz i did not have money to apply for it this year! I will do it next year.....

anyway...all is said n done now...

now we pray n hope!!!

Thnks guuy for all there insightful comments....in my MBS I did mention the gun license.....but i did not mention theoutdoor card/hunting licesnse boz i did not have money to apply for it this year! I will do it next year.....

anyway...all is said n done now...

now we pray n hope!!!

October 1st has passed so this comment holds little worth but I would definitely have included your interest in hunting contextually when answering NOSM's "Tell me more about yourself other than why you want to save the world" question (slightly paraphrased) but not in your sketch.

You're applying to be a prominent community stakeholder. Surely there are 48 other examples of how you've changed the world? I mean, everyone else seems to have won a Nobel Prize and saved two beached whales. Also, I heard someone applying to U of T found a cure of AIDS. :)

Archived