Premed 101 Forums

Saskatchen Transfer credit?

This is probably going to sound very complicated, but please bear with me :o

Okay, next September I will be transferring to the University of Saskatchewan, with 2 years of a university of Waterloo biomedical sciences degree. My goal is to complete my degree at U of S, and then apply to the med school at U of S.

But the plot thickens. . .

Some of my courses might not transfer, meaning I won't have a full two years. So, now I have some questions:

1) Should I start a new degree at U of S? This seems like it would be a BIG waste of money, plus time spent getting my UW credits. Would the med school see these credits from UW, and look down on them? Or only consider the credits that are part of my current (new) degree?

2) Should I transfer what I can to a new degree at U of S? To any IP U of S accepted students, what undergrad degree would you recommend? I was thinking of Biomedical Sciences, but is this the best option for me?

Ah! I'm sorry about the long winded and needy post, but ANY guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Lily

Med schools will ultimately want the transcripts from both schools so for that purpose your waterloo courses will count etc. U of S might only take some of them but you still have those years. Also since most schools don't like you repeating courses (which would happen if you completely started over) I would go with option 2 :)

This is probably going to sound very complicated, but please bear with me :o

Okay, next September I will be transferring to the University of Saskatchewan, with 2 years of a university of Waterloo biomedical sciences degree. My goal is to complete my degree at U of S, and then apply to the med school at U of S.

But the plot thickens. . .

Some of my courses might not transfer, meaning I won't have a full two years. So, now I have some questions:

1) Should I start a new degree at U of S? This seems like it would be a BIG waste of money, plus time spent getting my UW credits. Would the med school see these credits from UW, and look down on them? Or only consider the credits that are part of my current (new) degree?

2) Should I transfer what I can to a new degree at U of S? To any IP U of S accepted students, what undergrad degree would you recommend? I was thinking of Biomedical Sciences, but is this the best option for me?

Ah! I'm sorry about the long winded and needy post, but ANY guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Lily

The college of medicine might still accept the courses you took at UW as part of the admission requirement as long as it was 30 credit units/year. What the college accepts vs the university as transfer for a particular degree program are different. You should contact the admissions office to confirm and alleviate your worries.

Recommended programs at U of S are Physiology and Biochemistry because you can get good marks in both of them. Biomedical sciences would be good too because you have some background there plus it integrates a wide variety of basic sciences giving you a good base for med school. This is a new program so I havent heard much about it. From what I have heard lots of students in this years class have a physiology degree.

Hope this helps and good luck at the U of S:)

• 3 months later...

I think your best bet would be to transfer whatever you can to another program here.

Whenever you come here you'd be better off going for one of our biomedical science programs. The whole division of biomedical sciences started up this year and it consists of 4 undergrad programs (biochemistry, anatomy/cell biology, microbiology/immunology and physiology). The logic behind the program was to have people interested in the biomedical science fields take a common two year program and involved in this are 6 BMSC classes. These classes are mainly about giving students tastes of each of the 4 programs.

So, when everything is said and done you may have to take some of these BMSC classes and you may be technically starting over in your second year again. But depending on what transfers and what program you're in you may be able to continue where you left off and just take the BMSC classes to fill requirements.

Archived