Premed 101 Forums

Was stupid in undergrad

Hey guys I have a problem and I was wondering if someone can help me out...

I was pretty much stupid in my year 1 and year 2 and slacked off alot. I am currently hanging by a 1.04 CGPA atm and I am in my third year now. I calculated the best possible CGPA I can get if i manage to get 4 GPA from now on and next year as well. It would be a lousy 2.94 GPA. I read that some people improve their GPA by doing a second degree or postbacc. Should I consider doing these or should I go into a grad school and get my masters and try for med school. Or is there another method that I should take?

Thanks

Cliffs:

Was dumb in year 1 and year 2

CGPA 1.04

Best CGPA I can get is 2.94 given 4 gpa on all courses

Should I try second degree/postbacc?

Or go into grad school and apply

Any other methods?

I was pretty much stupid in my year 1 and year 2 and slacked off alot. I am currently hanging by a 1.04 CGPA atm and I am in my third year now. I calculated the best possible CGPA I can get if i manage to get 4 GPA from now on and next year as well. It would be a lousy 2.94 GPA. I read that some people improve their GPA by doing a second degree or postbacc. Should I consider doing these or should I go into a grad school and get my masters and try for med school. Or is there another method that I should take?

Thanks

Cliffs:

CGPA 1.04

Any other methods?

If you have a bad UG degree GPA then you cannot simply do a grad degree and then apply to med school. The entrance requirements for GPA minimum, which varies per school, is based on the UG degree. So if you have a low GPA then you wouldn't be able to apply regardless of what you do at graduate level. That's why the original slackers (like me!) have to do a 2nd UG degree.

Thanks

Cliffs:

CGPA 1.04

Any other methods?

Hi there! There are several schools which will allow you to compensate by doing better from now on in your current degree - Western (best 2 years GPA considered), Queens (last 2 years GPA considered), Ottawa (last 3 GPA considered, although you would need a fifth year for that). NOSM will consider the slate clear if you do a second degree. Toronto and Mac use cummulative GPA, which means all the courses you ever do will count (although Toronto has a drop a course from consideration policy if you remain always full time which may reduce the impact of your first two years somewhat) meaning it is unlikely you can get into those schools on the strength of your undergrad. You can do graduate work to get in alternatively - Queens has a graduate stream with a 3.6 UG GPA required (I believe the last 2 years rule still works for that), and Toronto and a graduate stream as well (but I would think in your case you would have to do a lot more than a masters to be a strong candidate in that area). That's a basic round up of Ontario - there are still out of province schools (U of S and Dalhousie in particular) that have some "take only X years" policies, and with hard work you could also be considered at international schools. Your biggest consideration is correcting what ever it is that is limiting your ability to get a higher GPA - best of luck!

(I think that is the most condense way I have ever presented that information :))

With Western, Queen's and Dal.... if you aced years 3 and 4... you'd could still be competitive at all of them given a good MCAT. (mind you except for Western, you'd only get credit for your 4th year GPA at Queen's and Dal the year following.)

Me... I blew it too in years one and two.... ~2.7 G.P.A. and unfortunately sleeping, drinking and tomfoolery weren't extra curriculars that gave me a leg up lol.

Years 3 and 4 although better, but still only 3.6...

So I came back and did a second degree, and now have a couple really good years under my belt, was able to get one interview last year and should get another interview or two this year hopefully.

So an abysmal gpa can be overcome at some schools. Don't plan on applying to Mac anytime soon though.

20 years of straight 4.0's would only bring your GPA up to a 3.73.... which be on the very low end of Mac's accepted G.P.A.'s haha but maybe with 20 years of perfect grades you could get some good EC's in there.

A 1.04 GPA would get you kicked out for a year at most universities.

Even if this guy is for real, he/she should get a decent year (3.75+ minimum) before they even consider suggesting that they are mature enough/academic enough for medicine.

Stop cheerleading people like this! It's hard to mature that rapidly in 1 year.

Instead of considering medicine, perhaps he should consider taking a year off university and contemplating whether he is cut out for university, and maybe consider a trade or community college (if they would take him in with a 1.04 GPA).

It's hard to mature that rapidly in 1 year.

haha, coming from the king of maturity himself.

A drastic increase in GPA can be done. I and many others here have managed some form of it ourselves.

Elaine, the trusty moderator had a very low GPA before bringing it up and getting interviews and acceptances at Western's, Queen's and Dal.

Does this mean it will be easy? Absolutely not.

But the OP is the one responsible for trying.

The OP has years left to complete in the degree... why not try hard and see. If there is a rapid improvement... then keep it up and try to shoot for medicine. If next year is just as bad, despite much more effort, then maybe a plan B is best.

Or the OP can take SFinch's self-fulfilling prophecy strategy. If you didn't do well in the past, don't even think about doing well in the future. Continue to accept a 1.0 GPA because that's who you are.

Mind you if I had a choice... and I did... I would go with trying to improve.

A 1.04 GPA is about a 52-53% average. Virtually every university will kick you out for a semester for that, and give you one more chance. That's why the story is FOS.

The guy was lying. If he is for real, a 52-53% average wanting to improve is alot different than someone with a 75% average wanting to improve.

Next thing we, know, we'll be advising people with 0.0 GPAs, and a technical pardon for child molesting that they can change their lives, get into medical school, and become a pediatrician...

my 2 cents...

Regardless of whether this person is real or not.

I agree people shouldn't peddle optimism just for the sake of doing so, but it doesn't hurt to inform someone of their potential options no matter what their background.

They can then pursue those options as they wish and excel or fail under their own effort. No one is telling this person that they're guaranteed a 4.0 and spot in medicine next year. In the same light no one should be telling the OP to get out of university and get into a college program if they'll take them, even though that is a viable option. My sister graduated from Queen's and went back to a culinary program at a local college and is loving it. However, I would never tell her to leave Queen's and do that because her grades stunk. She did it because she was truly interested in cooking.

So if you'll read back, no one including myself has guaranteed the OP anything or even suggested that they are suited for medicine. Rather we've provided information on what can still be done if they want to try.

A 1.04 GPA would get you kicked out for a year at most universities.

Even if this guy is for real, he/she should get a decent year (3.75+ minimum) before they even consider suggesting that they are mature enough/academic enough for medicine.

Stop cheerleading people like this! It's hard to mature that rapidly in 1 year.

Instead of considering medicine, perhaps he should consider taking a year off university and contemplating whether he is cut out for university, and maybe consider a trade or community college (if they would take him in with a 1.04 GPA).

I'm actually suspended til next summer semester. This is real. I didn't go to class and didn't study. Gave into desires, but I know I am capable of getting good grades in 3rd and 4th year. I was just wondering if there was a point in finishing my degree with good grades when the first half were crappy. Thanks to the people who responded, I am aware that I still have a shot at medical school without doing a second underdegree. During the time I had off school, I came to realization and I believe that I matured a bit and I am taking this very seriously. Thank you for the very condensed post rmorelan!

I was in a similar boat. I had a really bad first two years, took a year off, figured out what I wanted to do, changed universities and transferred some of my courses over. Ended up with a 3.6GPA which is OK. You will still have to show them your 1.0GPA transcript, but your marks are calculated on your earned degree.

A 1.04 GPA is about a 52-53% average. Virtually every university will kick you out for a semester for that, and give you one more chance. That's why the story is FOS.

The guy was lying. If he is for real, a 52-53% average wanting to improve is alot different than someone with a 75% average wanting to improve.

Next thing we, know, we'll be advising people with 0.0 GPAs, and a technical pardon for child molesting that they can change their lives, get into medical school, and become a pediatrician...

my 2 cents...

:D :D :D :D . You got a point, but you state it in a harsh way man.

• 3 weeks later...

In high school my average was like 55%, 75% in senior year, I took a year off and then my univeristy average was 90%

It's really not hard as long as you do the work, I would advise you finish what you've started rather than just abandoning it, I don't think that would look so good on a resume.

my 2 cents...

I know this is completely hypothetical, but someone who was convicted for such a crime, could get their record expunged by a pardon, and then apply to meds school. The police check will not turn anything up. Scary thought, i know. We should really change the policy.

EDIT::::::::COMPLETELY missed that I was replying to a thread more than a month old. Lol.

Archived