Premed 101 Forums

rich parents = med school?

anon1234

Why would rich kids be willing to bear the great adversity of going through med school, when their parents already have money? Couldn't they just relax, travel, and enjoy life?

Maybe they want to be a doc, but not for the $$$ ?

Still if they were so compassionate, it's hard to see how they could summon the will to sneak past the system.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would rich kids be willing to bear the great adversity of going through med school, when their parents already have money? Couldn't they just relax, travel, and enjoy life?

Why would anybody with any degree of intelligence want to choose a meaningless life where one contributes nothing to society, except being a consumer. How awful.

Life does not stand still and things happen such as the Madoff, Enron and Lloyds of London scandals, just three examples that come to mind. Every day in the lottery of life hundreds of extremely wealthy people/families due to circumstances beyong their control loose their every dollar and become paupers overnight and their unprepared children with neither education nor ambition would become homeless. Life is about conquering new territory, climbing mountains, about each making our own contribution so we live in a better world, and not simply being takers.

I am blessed to have been accepted into this promised land, Canada, that I entered as a refugee. I have no money and live a rich and fulfilled life and cannot wait to pay back my enormous debt to Canada for the opportunities afford to me.

Still if they were so compassionate, it's hard to see how they could summon the will to sneak past the system.

That, and/or maybe their parents just want to maintain the family name, especially if their parents were doctors.

Why would anybody with any degree of intelligence want to choose a meaningless life where one contributes nothing to society, except being a consumer.How awful.

Life does not stans still and things happen such as the Madoff, Enron and Lloyds of London scandals, just two examples that come to mind. Every day in the lottery of life hundreds of extremely wealthy people/families due to circumstances beyong their control loose their every dollar and become paupers overnight and t heir unprepared children with neither education nor ambition would become homeless. Life is about conquering new territory, climbing mountains, about each making our own contribution so we live in a better world, and not simply being takers.

I am blessed to have been accepted into this promised land, Canada, that I entered as a refugee. I have no money and live a rich and fulfilled life and cannot wait to pay back my enormous debt to Canada for the opportunities afford to me.

Yes, and the kids from well-off familieis, who pursue an education are indeed smart. Even though it may be unfair because they are almost automatically guaranteed a higher education, but hey! they are using that to their advantages. As long as they use that education to help others who are less fortunate, and to make the world a better place. As long as they don't use their advantages to harm others. They were born into the right family, so what can you do about it? Nothing.

But isn't it human nature to strive for anything that is least stressful, and most enjoyable?

No, it is human nature to strive to find and overcome challenges. We are essentially curious and with to make discoveries, even if they have been made before, we (or many of us) have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. BTW, helping others is essentially selfish as often the doer receives as much satisfaction as does the receipient. Stress and stress management comes with the territory of being human. And I could not imagine a more unfulfilling and boring life than not facing challenges on a daily basis.

A lot of them wouldn't see it that way if they were going through some legitimate school (ie the international route). Where is the sneaking after all, they are just applying and getting into a school the normal way.

Also it have been my experience that a lot of rich parents don't actually want to hand their children wealth at all - at least for a very long time :). Imagine you were brought up with a relatively high lifestyle, and you are now about to leave to enter the world on your own - you are likely going to look around and try to find a path that provides you with a similar lifestyle to the one you are used to. Since there is the perception that medicine pays very well it becomes a favourable option. Actually some of the people I know are quite scared of dropping down to the middle class range. I guess once you have had a certain standard of living it is hard to go back.

Archived