Premed 101 Forums

Medical School Graduate Student Policies

Hi everyone,

I think it would be a great idea to summarize the graduate review policies (for the schools that have them) for all the grad student applicants on this site. I'll try to add information when I have time, but if you can contribute any info that you've gathered.... I would highly appreciate it. This thread can serve as a guide for grad students who want to figure out what schools they have a good chance at.

Basically, the type of info I'm hoping we can put together is:

The School's Name

Is there any grad student advantage for this school? Such as:

• Are bonus points award for grad students? If so, when must you have your degree completed by?
  • Is their GPA or MCAT flexibility for graduate students?
  • Does graduate school GPA count towards anything?

Are bonus points awarded to for grad students? If so, when must you have your degree completed by?

Are there any special policies for graduate students (ex. additional application required, additional references required) and if so, what do these policies entail?

So if you know any of the answers to these questions for any of the schools, or if you have any other important questions - please share! I'll try to compile the information that people post, and then we can have the thread stickied! It would also be great if you could provide a link to where you found this information from.

University of Alberta

-For applicants in a graduate program, you are subject to the same course requirements as applicants with Bachelor degrees with no course exemptions.

-The overall cumulative GPA is calculated using all transferable post-secondary work completed (with the deletion of the lowest year GPA). Courses taken during your graduate program are only used in the calculation of the cumulative GPA if the unit of course weight during an academic year is 18 units of course weight or higher.

-Applicants who have obtained a Masters or Ph.D. by Thesis may be asked to provide the name and address of the Chair of their Defense Committee so that an evaluation of their Thesis may be obtained.

-Applicants who have obtained a Master's by course work, instead of Thesis, are subject to the same course requirements as applicants with Bachelor's degree, and there will be no course exemptions.

-When confirmation of successful completion of a Masters degree by thesis or PhD by thesis is received in our office prior to the June 15 deadline, additional points may be allocated to your application as follows:

Masters 1 point

Ph.D. 3 points

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UME/admissions/dofm_require.cfm#Graduate

University of British Columbia

-Includes graduate school classes in the GPA calculation (http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Evaluation_Criteria.htm)

-Graduate students wishing to enter the UBC Faculty of Medicine Undergraduate Program must complete the program in which they are registered by June 30 prior to admission. All degree requirements, including successful defense and submission of approved thesis in final form, must be completed by this deadline. Graduate students in non-thesis based programs must complete all required courses, projects, exams, practicums, etc. and have all grades submitted by June 30. (http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Graduate_Students.htm)

-Graduate students who are invited for an interview will be required to have their thesis supervisor, or program/department head complete an electronic form stating that the applicant will likely finish their program by June 30. If the supervisor is unable to confirm that the applicant will finish by this date or if a response is not received from the supervisor by the stated deadline on the Graduate Student Report form, the interview offer will be rescinded.

Notification of Completion - June 30 (http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Graduate_Students.htm)

University of Calgary

-Those students enrolled in advanced degrees may count full-time study in their degree provided at least one-half (½) course has been completed and a grade has been awarded during the year(s) of full-time study.

Dalhousie University

-Take all your course grades from your Masters and count it as one year's GPA. This year, in addition with your two best undergraduate years are averaged together to determine your eligible GPA. For Ph.D, it's the same except they use only your best year (year 3 or 4) from your undergrad. You must meet stated GPA minimums to be eligible for an interview. (http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/gda.htm)

University of Manitoba

Graduate students are screened the same as undergraduate students on the basis of undergraduate coursework and MCAT criteria. However, applicant’s accomplishments during graduate studies will be taken into account in determining the Personal Assessment Score (PAS). (http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/admissions/gen_questions.html#faqG12)

McGill University

GPA Calculation:

Academic achievement is determined from the academic record in undergraduate studies, science pre-requisites, and the result of the Medical College Admission Test (where applicable). While completed graduate degrees are taken into consideration, applicants should know that the undergraduate cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of the degree and MCAT scores are the major consideration in measuring academic performance. The difficulty of the program, credit load and course levels are also taken into consideration. Students are encouraged to ensure they have taken higher level courses where applicable.

-No other considerations for graduate students.

McMaster University - Michael G Degroote School of Medicine

-Additional 1% added to pre-interview score for MSc students, additional 4% added for PhD students

-Must have degree prior to application

Memorial University

Is preference given to or is there bias against students in a graduate program? How are graduate courses considered? No, there is neither preference given to nor bias against students in a graduate program. Graduate courses are considered a part of the whole academic record and calculated in the overall academic average/GPA. (http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/FAQ-s.aspx)

Northern Ontario School of Medicine

-0.2 will be added to those graduate students who have degree conferred by December of the year of application (http://www.normed.ca/education/ume/general.aspx?id=1232)

University of Ottawa

-The previous graduate review policy has been discontinued. Only undergraduate work is considered.

Queen's University

-May permit GPAs lower than the cutoff for graduate students

-This does not apply to MCAT scores, all graduate students must meet MCAT cutoffs

University of Saskatchewan

In considering graduate students, the average may be based on the following, or the two best full undergraduate years, whichever works to their advantage:

- Course-based graduate program, which may or may not include a research project. The average of all grades in the program will count as one full year combined with the best two full undergraduate years. The post-graduate program must be comparable to at least one full academic year (30 credit units).

- Master’s thesis-based program. The average of all Master’s grades will count as one full year combined with the best two full undergraduate years.

- Ph.D. thesis-based program. The average of all graduate grades will count as one full year combined with the best full undergraduate year.

For all graduate programs, the program must be completed and grades available by DECEMBER 31, 2009, FOR THOSE ATTENDING OUT-OF-PROVINCE INSTITUTES and by APRIL 30, 2010, FOR THOSE ATTENDING INSTITUTIONS WITHIN SASKATCHEWAN AS SASKATCHEWAN RESIDENTS. Graduate programs not complete by required date will not invalidate application, but will require competitive average to be based on best two undergraduate years not graduate grades.

(http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/admissions/admissions-information/academic-requirements/)

University of Toronto

-Lower GPA cutoff is permitted for graduate students (3.00 vs 3.60) because of added emphasis on graduate school productivity

-A Graduate Application Package must be completed (http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Graduate_Applicants/The_Graduate_Application_Package.htm) and it consists of a CV, submission of research productivity, and up to 3 bonus reference letters

-Important (candid) information about Graduate Application Package is found on the U of T medicine blog here and here. I strongly suggest reading these to give you more of an idea about how they evaluate graduate applications.

University of Western Ontario - Schulich School of Medicine

Graduate students are required to have completed all course requirements for their degree. Their thesis (if required) must be submitted for defense to their examination committee prior to registration in the medical program. Western does not take graduate courses into consideration for the GPA; only undergraduate years are used. Applicants who are currently enrolled in a Master’s program are encouraged to make inquiries about our MD/PhD program.

(http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/education/admissions/medicine/documents/FAQs20080930.pdf)

Really? I hadn't thought of that. :rolleyes:

The point of this thread is to get all of the information compiled in one spot, so that people do not have to spend hours googling for the information. I want to create a quick "guide" for grad students. Just like we have a guide to American schools in the American forum, information on how to get involved in research or calculate your GPA in the general premed discussion, etc.

UofT is pretty good to grad students. The min. GPA is dropped to 3.0 and there is an emphasis on research productivity. It IS possible to overcome chronically low grades (<3.5) with research productivity (talking about >3-4 first authored papers in respectable journals, doesn't have to be nature or anything). It's all qualitative though and the only quantitative difference is the 3.0 vs 3.6 min. average.

Queens will forgive low GPA but not MCAT.

Calgary will use your grad marks in their calculation of best 2 years (ie. OOP cutoff calculation). Their whole file review probably takes into account your grad school as well but thats all subjective.

McMaster also adds an extra 1% for a Master's and an extra 4% for a Ph.D to your pre-interview score. I believe you have to have completed your degree by the time you apply for it to count though.

Also, for Dal, they'll take all your course grades from your Master's and count it as one year's GPA. That, plus your best 2 undergrad years, will be averaged together to determine your eligible GPA. For Ph.D, it's the same except they use only your best year (year 3 or 4) from your undergrad.

http://admissions.medicine.dal.ca/gda.htm

From the UofA website:

"How is my Graduate work considered?

For applicants in a graduate program you are subject to the same course requirements as applicants with Bachelor degrees with no course exemptions. The overall cumulative GPA is calculated using all transferable post-secondary course work completed (with the deletion of the lowest year GPA) and your graduate work . Applicants who have obtained a Masters or Ph.D. by Thesis may be asked to provide the name and address of the Chair of their Defense Committee so that an evaluation of their Thesis may be obtained. Applicants who have obtained a Master's by course work, instead of Thesis, are subject to the same course requirements as applicants with Bachelor's degree, and there will be no course exemptions."

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/Education/UME/admissions/dofm_faq.cfm

The University of Calgary will also count your graduate degree towards 1 year of their cutoff that is based on the best 2 years of your undergrad. So really it will be your grad degree + your best undergrad year!

That's just for the purposes of getting an interview though, after that they look at your entire academic performance. But hey, getting an interview is a huge hurdle cleared!

Edit: just saw you have already edited your original post to include this info, awesome work!

The University of Calgary will also count your graduate degree towards 1 year of their cutoff that is based on the best 2 years of your undergrad. So really it will be your grad degree + your best undergrad year!

That's just for the purposes of getting an interview though, after that they look at your entire academic performance. But hey, getting an interview is a huge hurdle cleared!

Edit: just saw you have already edited your original post to include this info, awesome work!

That IS good news! Does your graduate degree have to be completed for them to count it? I'm doing an MSc in UofC fac med and for my degree we only take two classes. Do those two classes count as the best year along with undergrad?

That IS good news! Does your graduate degree have to be completed for them to count it? I'm doing an MSc in UofC fac med and for my degree we only take two classes. Do those two classes count as the best year along with undergrad?

Yep, that's how it works I believe!

I had to take 5 courses for my masters and got all A/A+'s so it allowed me to meet the U of C cut off that I wouldn't make for OOP based only on my best two ugrad years!

I still consider my chances relatively slim, but you only have a 0% chance if you don't try!

I'll be in better shape after getting a year into a second ugrad degree I think, since then I'll hopefully have near to a 4.0 over my best two years.

Good luck!

I believe they are.

Also, I'd like to add that while Ottawa used to consider grad students...it doesn't anymore. While most schools are going forward in to the future with regards to research, Ottawa is regressing to the 1950s.

Yeah I really don't get that either. One of the qualities most med schools are looking for is a dedication to lifelong learning... you would think that Ottawa would realize that a graduate degree is a very obvious way of showing a commitment to continuing education.

I certainly feel much better equipped to solve any sort of problem as a direct result of my graduate degree.

Obviously the undergraduate degree should be the primary selection factor as that's how they compare all candidates, but some sort of acknowledgment of the extra effort, degree of difficulty, and independent study related to a graduate degree should be made. /end rant

Thanks again to everyone for contributing. Wow, maybe I have a chance at Calgary if I do well on the MCAT and rock my grad school courses. Seeing as I haven't taken any grad school courses yet (I am saving them for the last year of my program), does anyone know if the courses I end up taking in the fall term of the year I apply will be considered? If not, maybe I should try to get one done in the summer!

Thanks again to everyone for contributing. Wow, maybe I have a chance at Calgary if I do well on the MCAT and rock my grad school courses. Seeing as I haven't taken any grad school courses yet (I am saving them for the last year of my program), does anyone know if the courses I end up taking in the fall term of the year I apply will be considered? If not, maybe I should try to get one done in the summer!

I don't think they will, I think they have to be on your transcripts when you submit them.

Good luck to you!

The thing for Calgary is that a sub-par GPA can be overcome by a really good MCAT (in particular, a good verbal score).

For example, the cutoff for OOP interview this year was a score of ~451 using the following formula:

62.517 (GPA) + 12.122 (MCAT,VR) + 6.757(MCAT,BS)

So, say you have a 4.0, 10VR and 12BS. Total score = 452.36

Now, say you have a 3.6 but a 12VR and 12BS. Total score = 451.5984

So basically just do really good on your verbal and bio on your MCAT and you're set (haha, easier said than done, I know).

The thing for Calgary is that a sub-par GPA can be overcome by a really good MCAT (in particular, a good verbal score).

For example, the cutoff for OOP interview this year was a score of ~451 using the following formula:

So basically just do really good on your verbal and bio on your MCAT and you're set (haha, easier said than done, I know).

Too bad the same can't be said for IP!!!

I was just surfing through the University of Saskatchewan admissions page and found this:

C. Graduate Students. In considering graduate students, the average may be based on the following, or the two best full undergraduate years, whichever works to their advantage:

- Course-based graduate program, which may or may not include a research project. The average of all grades in the program will count as one full year combined with the best two full undergraduate years. The post-graduate program must be comparable to at least one full academic year (30 credit units).

- Master’s thesis-based program. The average of all Master’s grades will count as one full year combined with the best two full undergraduate years.

- Ph.D. thesis-based program. The average of all graduate grades will count as one full year combined with the best full undergraduate year

Similar to Dal I guess

Keep in mind that meeting this oop cutoff only ensures that someone will actually read your application and is not an interview cutoff.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I'm looking for a bit of clarification.

For U of C they say:

"Those students enrolled in advanced degrees may count full-time study in their degree provided at least one-half (½) course has been completed and a grade has been awarded during the year(s) of full-time study."

Am I correct in interpreting this as saying that as long as I've taken one course per year during the two years of my masters, the GPA for each year will be what's counted as my best two fulltime years?

My grad GPA is higher than my ugrad ones.

I realize this is just to get your file reviewed, but getting looked at is the first step.