Premed 101 Forums

UBC intervew experience

If anyone would like to ask some questions about UBC's dental program, feel free to contact me. I have written some posts in the past with regards to the program. Note: the program has changed year to year. While I have attempted to stay up to date with the changes, I stopped when I graduated last year.

If anyone would like to ask some questions about UBC's dental program, feel free to contact me. I have written some posts in the past with regards to the program. Note: the program has changed year to year. While I have attempted to stay up to date with the changes, I stopped when I graduated last year.

Hi, here's some questions if you don't mind.

Q. Is sharing classes with med students a positive or a negative?

Q. What do you and your classmates feel about PBL?

Q. Do you feel the high cost of tuition is justified?

Q. Anything about UBC that separates it from most other dental schools?

Q. Do you happen to know anything about UBC vs Toronto or Western?

Q. How are your dental classmates like? Snobby, keener, chill?

Q. How many of the class go on to specialize?

Q. Does going to UBC give you a leg up on other applicants when applying to UBC's specialty programs?

I am going to answer the questions separately over time if you don't mind.

Q. Is sharing classes with med students a positive or a negative?

No, I think it's a wonderful experience getting to know them. It means you make more friends and have more contacts for the future. Note: there's also more dating opportunities for the single students. Every class usually has a few med/dent relationships that began in the classroom.

Q. What do you and your classmates feel about PBL?

Just like there is a spectrum of personalities in the class, there are various opinions on the PBL experience. At least the ones close to me hate PBL. I remember discussing the difference between the PBL cases in Medicine in Year 1 and 2 and the PBL cases in Dentistry in Year 3 and 4 with my colleagues. We noticed that PBL doesn't work as well in Dentistry as in Medicine. It's very easy to find articles online through the university for the medicine PBL cases whereas may dentistry journals are not accessible.

The faculty has tried to avoid this issue during my last year by providing the articles. However, what's the point of PBL then? Might as well just give the information directly. Keep in mind though, things are changing every year so they may have a solution by the time it affects you.

As well, because cases aren't updated much at all, both medicine and dentistry PBL tutor guides and past copies float around among all years. It's almost like passing the torch through the generations. In fact, I suspect both faculties are aware of it.

It's not just only dental students who complain about PBL. I know many medical students who detest it despite easier access to articles. They tend to justify their opposition by the fact it's not efficient to learn. It's quicker to receive the information vs. spending hours looking through many useless articles to find the info and sometimes not at all. As well, some things are not meant for self-learning.

Now I know some people who enjoy PBL, but at least of the ones I know, they are a minority. However, it is the new fashion trend medical schools are leaning towards and likely dental schools. UBC Dentistry heavily favors PBL so it's something you have to decide whether you can live with or not.

Q. Do you feel the high cost of tuition is justified?

You'll find at the Interview Open House UBC will give you a breakdown of where the tuition, clinic fee goes. This high cost is part of the price for going to a $19 million dollar state-of-the-art dental clinic that is ~ 3 years old. As well, a big component goes towards staff salaries. You'll find that though you will still complain about lining up for stuff, you have less to deal with in terms of running out of instruments because they are not clean, etc. As well, there are ample amount of chairs. There's no fighting over chairs - clinic has a total of 144 chairs.

It's just an opinion if you want to determine if it is justified. The reality is running a dental clinic is expensive, esp. a new one with adequate instruments, staff, etc. The burden is on you to help fund the school as there is little government support. You are helping pay down the debt the school took out to build this clinic.

Now, those are the facts. However, one can argue that for that amount, it's not well spent. My opinion, after going through the program, is that I can probably get a better education/training/experience for a cheaper price tag at another school.

You'll notice that most students choose UBC because of 2 reasons only:

1. No one else accepted them
  2. they do not wannt to leave the province

Reason one is usually why the OOP's are in the program. Reason two is usually why IP's are.

Q. How are your dental classmates like? Snobby, keener, chill?

As I stated in my earlier post, you have a range of personalities in the class. There are definitely some snobs, some keeners, some laid-backs, and some oddballs. I can't say for other classes, but mine was fractioned into small groups. I think some classes are closer together while others aren't cohesive at all. In my particular class, people didn't share old exams, etc. Basically, you get a copy because you or your friends caught someone photocopying something at the photocopier and they feel guilty so they give you or your friends a copy. We had many discussions about the issue, but it occurred all throughout the 4 years and into the last set of exams in 4th year.

I don't think you can judge the class based on past classes. It's the luck of the draw.

Q. How many of the class go on to specialize?

From my class, 2 are going into orthodontics, 1 is already in prosthodontics, and a few are in GPR's. I can tell you it was their own merit that got them into those schools. The one that got into pros was a very brilliant international student. One of the ortho ones was number 1 in my class. The other had an excellent personality and comes from a ortho dynasty.

The problem with UBC is that there is little knowledge and awareness in terms of specializing. I spoke with my McGill colleague and was told that McGill has big names that can get you at min., an interview. For example, my friend in McGill told me one of the heads of the department told her if she wants to apply to a certain specialty school, he'll call the head of that specialty and get her an interview because the head of that department owes him a huge favor. As well, McGill has a strong knowledge base on where good specialty schools are, etc. I don't recall 100%, but I remember my friend said the 2006 class had almost 1/3 of the class going on to specialty schools.

On the other hand, UBC does a very poor job in that area. You mostly get blank stares when you ask for advice. That or you get pointed in different directions that really lead nowhere. It seems that there is a lack of ability to tap into past alumni in contrast to the amount of communication my McGill colleagues were able to have with alumni in specialty's, etc. I know that from speaking to a few of them, including a past UBC GPR resident, that McGill treats their students very well and perhaps it is because of this, alumni support is very strong there.

I know with the current Dean, he is trying his best to build a better rapport with students, but it'll take a few years before the catch up occurs... so there's hope yet.

From my class, 2 are going into orthodontics, 1 is already in prosthodontics, and a few are in GPR's. I can tell you it was their own merit that got them into those schools. The one that got into pros was a very brilliant international student. One of the ortho ones was number 1 in my class. The other had an excellent personality and comes from a ortho dynasty.

The problem with UBC is that there is little knowledge and awareness in terms of specializing. I spoke with my McGill colleague and was told that McGill has big names that can get you at min., an interview. For example, my friend in McGill told me one of the heads of the department told her if she wants to apply to a certain specialty school, he'll call the head of that specialty and get her an interview because the head of that department owes him a huge favor. As well, McGill has a strong knowledge base on where good specialty schools are, etc. I don't recall 100%, but I remember my friend said the 2006 class had almost 1/3 of the class going on to specialty schools.

On the other hand, UBC does a very poor job in that area. You mostly get blank stares when you ask for advice. That or you get pointed in different directions that really lead nowhere. It seems that there is a lack of ability to tap into past alumni in contrast to the amount of communication my McGill colleagues were able to have with alumni in specialty's, etc. I know that from speaking to a few of them, including a past UBC GPR resident, that McGill treats their students very well and perhaps it is because of this, alumni support is very strong there.

I know with the current Dean, he is trying his best to build a better rapport with students, but it'll take a few years before the catch up occurs... so there's hope yet.

In 2010, there are getting 3 more specialization in UBC according to stuff I heard during the Open House this year.

In 2010, there are getting 3 more specialization in UBC according to stuff I heard during the Open House this year.

That is true. The only specialty missing will be Oral Surgery. Everything else will be available. However, that doesn't mean you have a better chance to specialize. As well, I think it takes away opportunities from the undergrad dental program.

A word of caution - any starting program will have growing pains. The first few through the door will be guinea pigs, helping the program figure out what they need to change. I experienced this during dental school as they kept changing the curriculum. Some changes were bad and I had to go through them for them to make it better for the classes after me. One thing I did not enjoy was that instead of accommodating us when things turned out badly, they kept the status quo. We basically had to struggle to get through those obstacles only to have them recognize them afterwards and change it for the following classes. The good news is that a lot has changed in the dental program so you will have a better experience than I did.

However, there's a lot of resentment out there so you will hear a lot of negativity from almuni. I know that when I entered UBC dentistry, every single alumni I ran into (who are not part of the part-time or full-time faculty) basically used a lot of %&^%*^ when describing their experience. Their experience does not necessary represent exactly how yours will be.

You'll find at the Interview Open House UBC will give you a breakdown of where the tuition, clinic fee goes. This high cost is part of the price for going to a $19 million dollar state-of-the-art dental clinic that is ~ 3 years old. As well, a big component goes towards staff salaries. You'll find that though you will still complain about lining up for stuff, you have less to deal with in terms of running out of instruments because they are not clean, etc. As well, there are ample amount of chairs. There's no fighting over chairs - clinic has a total of 144 chairs.

It's just an opinion if you want to determine if it is justified. The reality is running a dental clinic is expensive, esp. a new one with adequate instruments, staff, etc. The burden is on you to help fund the school as there is little government support. You are helping pay down the debt the school took out to build this clinic.

Now, those are the facts. However, one can argue that for that amount, it's not well spent. My opinion, after going through the program, is that I can probably get a better education/training/experience for a cheaper price tag at another school.

You'll notice that most students choose UBC because of 2 reasons only:

1. No one else accepted them
  2. they do not wannt to leave the province

Reason one is usually why the OOP's are in the program. Reason two is usually why IP's are.

Very interesting viewpoint. I am very glad you shared this with us.

That is true. The only specialty missing will be Oral Surgery. Everything else will be available. However, that doesn't mean you have a better chance to specialize. As well, I think it takes away opportunities from the undergrad dental program.

A word of caution - any starting program will have growing pains. The first few through the door will be guinea pigs, helping the program figure out what they need to change. I experienced this during dental school as they kept changing the curriculum. Some changes were bad and I had to go through them for them to make it better for the classes after me. One thing I did not enjoy was that instead of accommodating us when things turned out badly, they kept the status quo. We basically had to struggle to get through those obstacles only to have them recognize them afterwards and change it for the following classes. The good news is that a lot has changed in the dental program so you will have a better experience than I did.

However, there's a lot of resentment out there so you will hear a lot of negativity from almuni. I know that when I entered UBC dentistry, every single alumni I ran into (who are not part of the part-time or full-time faculty) basically used a lot of %&^%*^ when describing their experience. Their experience does not necessary represent exactly how yours will be.

Just to provide different perspective. The students (3rd and 4th years) I've talked to during the Open House seems to enjoy themselves. They talked about how nice the faculty is and how, via PBL, their classes are more closely bonded. After talking to these guys, I now actually have reasons for wanting to go to UBC dentistry other than "I don't want to leave the province" (Which WAS the main reason I applied to UBC. Adversary got that right :P)

Just to provide different perspective. The students (3rd and 4th years) I've talked to during the Open House seems to enjoy themselves. They talked about how nice the faculty is and how, via PBL, their classes are more closely bonded. After talking to these guys, I now actually have reasons for wanting to go to UBC dentistry other than "I don't want to leave the province" (Which WAS the main reason I applied to UBC. Adversary got that right )

As I said before, it's never everyone. I told you the perspective from my class and from people I know. And I did state that things change for the better... my class and the year before me help rid of several major problems. Of course, we had to endure the pain (one of my best friends cried every week for the first term of 3rd year and she was one of the top 3 students in the class). I did say your experience will be different.

One final thing, now this doesn't represent the ones at the open house, but I know some of my classmates were purposely lying the last 2 years to applicants for fear of reprisal from the faculty or because they don't wish to put down their school which affects how people view their education. Plus, it didn't hurt them one way or another. Some people have more optimistic outlooks than others.

I hope you realize I do try to stay neutral as much as I can as I don't like emotional rampages, Rather, I like to give you some facts/experiences. It is your decision always. No one can tell you exactly how your experience will be. I made that point more than once. And it doesn't matter to me whether you love/hate/accept/reject UBC. It's your life and has no effect on mine.

Finally, keep this in mind. I know a lot of people in other schools so I can compare experiences. Those you have spoken to may not have an idea of what they are missing. For example, you need to do approx. 6 crowns at UBC before you graduate (though these numbers aren't fixed anymore) and usually people do around <10. In Baylor, Tx, you need to do 40 crowns to graduate. If you want to see how bad <10 is, just go ask a dentist what they think of that.

One more thing, I noticed you said PBL brought people closer together. As I said, my class was fractioned. Others aren't. I can't tell you that if that wasn't my experience, but I never came across as that being consistent and absolute.

I have my opinion of my experience, but I always believe it's different for different people. I wouldn't predict whether Coreascott would enjoy it or not because I don't know how s/he would fit into the system and how the changes would affect her/his experience.

One more thing, I noticed you said PBL brought people closer together. As I said, my class was fractioned. Others aren't. I can't tell you that if that wasn't my experience, but I never came across as that being consistent and absolute.

I have my opinion of my experience, but I always believe it's different for different people. I wouldn't predict whether Coreascott would enjoy it or not because I don't know how s/he would fit into the system and how the changes would affect her/his experience.

Sorry about my comment, I didn't mean to disagree with you. I simply wanted to share my opinion as well. As still applicant, I would expect you to know more. I do agree that you seem to stay as neutral as possible.

I'm bit surprised how you said some students would lie to prevent scarying the applicants. That is pretty said. I hoped they told me the truth, the ones I talked to.

One final thing, now this doesn't represent the ones at the open house, but I know some of my classmates were purposely lying the last 2 years to applicants for fear of reprisal from the faculty or because they don't wish to put down their school which affects how people view their education. Plus, it didn't hurt them one way or another. Some people have more optimistic outlooks than others.

Some great discussions here. Last year my experience with UBC was very positive and I do also remember the class-members of UBC saying only positive things about their school. But why wouldn't they? Whether or not they were lying or not, no one wants to speak negatively of the school that they are currently enrolled in. At least they might choose to neglect some info. I suppose just take the comments form the classmates with a grain of salt.

I suppose one choice that hasn't been illuminated quite yet, is UBC's absolutely incredible location. Vancouver in general is considered THE most livable city in the world, multicultural hub and port city, geographically PERFECT with mountains to the east and ocean to the west. I think this can definitely be a reason why some students would choose UBC (speaking from an OOP perspective I suppose). I know it is for me.

Sorry about my comment, I didn't mean to disagree with you. I simply wanted to share my opinion as well. As still applicant, I would expect you to know more. I do agree that you seem to stay as neutral as possible.

I'm bit surprised how you said some students would lie to prevent scarying the applicants. That is pretty said. I hoped they told me the truth, the ones I talked to.

Keep in mind, people say things for different reasons. You would better understand if you were in fear for 4 years. It gets to you. I know a lot of us were fearful of saying bad things because UBC Dentistry has an ace up its sleeve in the card entitled "professionalism". They can fail you on that alone which is a vague, subjective term so I wouldn't be surprised if some people lie because of that. However, that does not negate the ones who do have a positive outlook. I don't know any in my class, but I believe there are happier people in the classes after mine. This is partly because we encountered messes that the faculty cleaned up for the later years.

The other thing is that this occurs everywhere, even back when I was interviewing. People don't lie blatantly. They just mention the good and ignore the bad because that isn't really lying, at least directly. The key is to ask "What is bad about your school" or "What can your school do better". I always used this tactic because I know it's harder to lie - you will have to do it directly by answering my question. I encourage you to ask those questions at your other interviews with other schools.

Keep in mind that things do change and have changed. I lived through the messes so my mind is set based on those experiences and nothing UBC Dentistry can do after can undo what was done to my class or the ones before us. That's probably why there is anger lingering around past grads.

To Adversary:

- So do you wish you had more practical hands on time and less lecture time? How is the practical component structured at UBC?

See, that's a tricky question. It's not about quantity. They can give you more lecture time.. more intense medicine lectures. That doesn't necessary help.

Personally, I can alway use more lectures. This profession is about life-long learning. There's always new things, new ideas that can help you better treat your patients. There's a reason why Continuing Education exists - you should always be learning.

When compared to some of my colleagues at other schools, I found that we study a lot more medicine. Keep in mind, everyone is doing a 4 year program (except laval and U de M) so everyone has that much time. So if you spend more time on one thing, you have to give up on others because the total amount of time is set at 4 years.

Some schools stop medicine at the chest, others stop at the abdomen. UBC Dentistry doesn't stop. You basically take every medicine course except for clinical skills, family practice, and the medicine version of community health. So while I am studying childbirth and how to deliver a baby, others are studying things more related to dentistry. While I am dissecting the sole of a cadeavor foot, others may be enhancing their hand skills.

There are arguments that Dentistry is a part of Medicine and that a foundation is needed. Some say this will make you a better dentist. Others say you won't remember much medicine. You can decide for yourself. I can tell you this - my medical colleagues, including my sibling, remember information because they are repeatedly tested throughout their education and into their residencies. On top, they are exposed to cases throughout their career. You.. you are not. It is a challenge to recall what you crammed into your heads for the first 2 years of dental school. Some do remember, but do you remember it strong enough to use that information? Or do you end up referring to a book anyway?

Some great discussions here. Last year my experience with UBC was very positive and I do also remember the class-members of UBC saying only positive things about their school. But why wouldn't they? Whether or not they were lying or not, no one wants to speak negatively of the school that they are currently enrolled in. At least they might choose to neglect some info. I suppose just take the comments form the classmates with a grain of salt.

I suppose one choice that hasn't been illuminated quite yet, is UBC's absolutely incredible location. Vancouver in general is considered THE most livable city in the world, multicultural hub and port city, geographically PERFECT with mountains to the east and ocean to the west. I think this can definitely be a reason why some students would choose UBC (speaking from an OOP perspective I suppose). I know it is for me.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. I miss it. However, there's one thing to factor in. Vancouver is oversaturated with dentists. If you practice in Vancouver and the surrounding cities, expect to do mostly hygiene and potentially make 1/3 to 1/2 what others make in rural areas. One of my classmates made $600 for the entire month of July in Squamish. This person has since quit and moved on.

So yes, it is a wonderful place to live in and great to experience while you're in school, but careers aspects are kinda crappy within the surrounding of Vancouver.

Vancouver is a beautiful city. I miss it. However, there's one thing to factor in. Vancouver is oversaturated with dentists. If you practice in Vancouver and the surrounding cities, expect to do mostly hygiene and potentially make 1/3 to 1/2 what others make in rural areas. One of my classmates made $600 for the entire month of July in Squamish. This person has since quit and moved on.

So yes, it is a wonderful place to live in and great to experience while you're in school, but careers aspects are kinda crappy within the surrounding of Vancouver.

This is definitely my understanding as well. The Vancouver area has alot of dentists in comparison to patients. I think the statistic they gave last year was 800:1, whereas a healthy ratio is 2200:1 (patient to dentist). But to do school in Van is definitely worthwhile. Where you set up now Adversary?

This is definitely my understanding as well. The Vancouver area has alot of dentists in comparison to patients. I think the statistic they gave last year was 800:1, whereas a healthy ratio is 2200:1 (patient to dentist). But to do school in Van is definitely worthwhile. Where you set up now Adversary?

I left the country. As you can see from my info, I am in the US.

Archived