Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

I thought I'd start a new thread for women's interview attire, since the previous one is from last interview session.

Personally, I'm thinking of sticking to a suit, since I've never worn professional attire and don't want to run the risk of looking stupid.

What are people's opinion on suit color and length?

A lot of the "modern" suites today that you can get at fashion stores have very short blazers (tight waist, hits hips), not at all like the thigh length ones you'd find if you type "women's suit" into Google search. Do people think a short blazer looks unprofessional?

Also, are most people going for the black suit look? I feel that would be the safest.

I'm thinking of channeling Anna Kendrick in "Up in the Air". I just think she's so so cute. In the movie she wears a black dress suit with a white striped blouse. She also has her hair pulled back in a tight ponytail and just looks adorable. However, I wouldn't wear a dress, simply because I don't think I'd be comfortable. I would definitely stick to pants. However, pants with hair in ponytail and minimal makeup might seem rather androgynous and harsh. What do people think?

Oh, and how much makeup are people planning on wearing?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I opted for a black pant suit, with a cute, simple, cream-coloured blouse. I'm thinking of adding a headband and maybe a simple necklace. Alligator-skin grey/black low pumps. I don't think I'll be wearing any makeup, since I usually don't. Maybe some coverup under the eyes though :)...If you normally wear makeup, I would stick to light/no makeup for the sake of professionalism.

I opted for a black pant suit, with a cute, simple, cream-coloured blouse. I'm thinking of adding a headband and maybe a simple necklace. Alligator-skin grey/black low pumps. I don't think I'll be wearing any makeup, since I usually don't. Maybe some coverup under the eyes though :)...If you normally wear makeup, I would stick to light/no makeup for the sake of professionalism.

with no make up + pant suit + hair back = i look like a man...

I have a black pant suit bought from suzy shier..the suit jacket is just below the waist. I'm still debating on what colour shirt to wear underneath. I think im going to do hair 1/2 up, 1/2 down since I have long hair and would be playing with it if it was all down. Still have to buy some shoes though. Man! It's so fun to be a girl!

As for makeup, i dont wear much but i'll put on a bit more then usual. Might do some experimenting with makeup because its fun.

I think it's most important to be comfortable. If you feel more comfortable with more makeup, then go for it...But I'd really really really stay away from the kind of heavy makeup that makes you look as if you are wearing a lot of makeup. It's unprofessional, unattractive (at least to me) and unnecessary.

I went with a pant suit over a skirt suit because I was told I looked better and more professional in pants. Something classic and simple, yet not too boring is the best, but ultimately you have to be comfortable with what you're wearing.

I went with a traditional length suit jacket and pants in charcoal grey with a turquoise stain blouse and black heels. I don't normally wear make-up, but did for the interview and went with a very neutral/professional look. Most of the other female applicants (UBC) also wore dark suits and make-up. I was glad I went with a pop of colour in my blouse, because it helped me stand out from all the white and black.

I think it's most important to be comfortable. If you feel more comfortable with more makeup, then go for it...But I'd really really really stay away from the kind of heavy makeup that makes you look as if you are wearing a lot of makeup. It's unprofessional, unattractive (at least to me) and unnecessary.

I went with a pant suit over a skirt suit because I was told I looked better and more professional in pants. Something classic and simple, yet not too boring is the best, but ultimately you have to be comfortable with what you're wearing.

my rationale for not wearing a skirt is that as someone who doesn't, my legs aren't used to seeing sunlight (aka they're dry, unshaven and coarse). even with shaving and lots of moisturizer, I'd probably be thinking about how awkward I felt the entire interview.

it seems like everyone here seems to be going with black. do people think that another color, perhaps gray or brown, would be less professional?

my rationale for not wearing a skirt is that as someone who doesn't, my legs aren't used to seeing sunlight (aka they're dry, unshaven and coarse). even with shaving and lots of moisturizer, I'd probably be thinking about how awkward I felt the entire interview.

it seems like everyone here seems to be going with black. do people think that another color, perhaps gray or brown, would be less professional?

I think that a dark grey charcoal color or navy would look just as professional. I am thinking of going for a subtle pinstripe on black...but I also have my eye on a nice navy suit on sale at Sears.

That's why if you were to wear a skirt, you always wear pantyhose. Never go 'bare' legs.

I also have a quick question. Would it be unprofessional to wear my hair down? I have curly hair that looks somewhat odd when worn up (in my opinion) and I really like it down. As long as it isn't in my face, would this look professional enough?

Yah I can see how that might feel a little awkward. Have you thought about using a clip and just putting the top part back?

I'm planning on wearing my hair down too. I think this is fine as long as it looks neat and put together. I'm going to pull my bangs back so they are not in my face.

As for attire, I've got a grey suit with a deep blue shirt underneath. I'm wearing makeup, but just what I usually wear (eyeliner, mascara, blush). And I'm wearing flats, because I'm the kind of person who would fall right into the interview room if I wore heels.

I also have a quick question. Would it be unprofessional to wear my hair down? I have curly hair that looks somewhat odd when worn up (in my opinion) and I really like it down. As long as it isn't in my face, would this look professional enough?

I'm planning on wearing my hair down too. I think this is fine as long as it looks neat and put together. I'm going to pull my bangs back so they are not in my face.

As for attire, I've got a grey suit with a deep blue shirt underneath. I'm wearing makeup, but just what I usually wear (eyeliner, mascara, blush). And I'm wearing flats, because I'm the kind of person who would fall right into the interview room if I wore heels.

That is exactly what I plan on wearing if I get any interviews when I apply next year. I wore a dark gray suit with a deep blue shirt to my master's thesis defense with nice black flats. I won't be able to wear the same dark gray suit because I've lost a lot of weight since then, but I think it's a nice alternative to black and I think it makes me look older than black does. And I don't even own heels.

I strongly believe, like the majority of you do as well, that the best route is to do what you feel comfortable with. I would not go into an interview if I did feel myself. Like discworldheavylight, I look like a man with no make-up and my hair pulled tight into a ponytail. Therefore, I am definitely wearing makeup (the way I normally do) hair somehow pulled back (with bangs of course!) and a nice suit. I'm still debating about whether or not to wear a suit jacket though. At work I wear high heels, thus feel comfortable in really high shoes, but I'm going to wear low pumps or no heel to ensure that I don't get sore feet for the day. :D . I have a black and a brown suit but I think I would rather go with a grey, may need to update my wardrobe! Love being a girl!

I agree with the general consensus - I'm wearing pants, which I think is more professional than a skirt. Also, I'm wearing heels (and they are high!) but they are also very comfortable...and I'm really short. I think that whatever you do wear you have to be comfortable and feel like yourself in - my friend who interviewed at U of T didn't wear a blazer. I will be wearing a suit jacket simply because I like the way it looks, but I'm not wearing a collared shirt (made me feel too manly and didn't look like myself). I was also debating the make-up part, but I think that a little bit of make-up to make yourself look professional (ie, not 15 years old) could be helpful.

Good luck everyone :)

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll do what most people say they are doing and stick with what's comfortable. As for what I'm wearing, I bought a nice pinstripe black pant suit and have to find some form of shirt under (I'm thinking a nice jewel tone), and I have black heels that I'm comfortable in. I look silly very very short in flats (5'1....).

i looked around on a few websites about women's professional wear. this may sound strange but the general consensus is that dress suits are more formal than pant suits. basically, it says that dress suits are for interviews and pant suits can be added into the wardrobe once you're hired and working at the company. i personally don't see it this way at all. how is one more formal than the other?

^ that's surprising...I don't think it matters at all though..as long as you are dressed professionally, you won't be judged on how professional you look. As a fashion aside, I think taller girls look better in skirts than in pants and shorter girls the opposite. I'm 5'4" which is on the short-side and think that pants make me look taller, so that's why I'm going with them :).

^ that's surprising...I don't think it matters at all though..as long as you are dressed professionally, you won't be judged on how professional you look. As a fashion aside, I think taller girls look better in skirts than in pants and shorter girls the opposite. I'm 5'4" which is on the short-side and think that pants make me look taller, so that's why I'm going with them :).

i think those clothes look terrible on me either way and i never thought i was either really short or really fat, but those clothes sure proved me wrong!

I think the really old school/conservative male docs might think that skirts are more appropriate for women (though I think these docs are probably very rare). I agree on the pants making you look taller. I'm 5'8 and chose pants as well because I felt like a giant who could rule the world. haha

I think the general idea is to not let your clothes distract the interviewer and yourself, ie. you should be comfortable in them. Like any job interview and professional workplace, you should abide by the dress norm.

Actually, I have a question too, about shoes.

What type of shoes are you ladies wearing? High heels, shorter heels, or no heels?!

Archived