Premed 101 Forums

Women's attire

I got mine at Esprit - I was debating between that and a suit at Banana Republic. I decided to spend a bit more money on a high quality classic suit that will last me for years. The optimist in me says that I'll be doing residency interviews in the same suit in 4-5 yrs :)

That said, I'm a few years out of UG, and I recall the cash constraints that came with UG. Suzy Shier and Fairweather both had great suit sales when I went suit shopping this past weekend.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a suit from Banana Republic and absolutely love it. It was definitely pricey but I figure it's the type of outfit worth investing in.

If you do plan to shop at BR, sign up for their mailing list 'cause you get a coupon for 15-20% off a purchase over $150 (or something like that)... it helps for big purchases!

I did this! I got a coupon a few weeks ago for 30% off my purchase, and they let me combine that with the 15% student discount they offer at the store I go to.

Soooo, my suit was 45% off...amazing.

I got a suit from Banana Republic and absolutely love it. It was definitely pricey but I figure it's the type of outfit worth investing in.

If you do plan to shop at BR, sign up for their mailing list 'cause you get a coupon for 15-20% off a purchase over $150 (or something like that)... it helps for big purchases!

I did this! I got a coupon a few weeks ago for 30% off my purchase, and they let me combine that with the 15% student discount they offer at the store I go to.

They have 15% off for students?!? I wish I knew that before!

Club Monoco has that hidden 15% off for students too (only found out 'cause a friend worked there). I plan to use a student discount as long as I possibly can haha.

Just thought I'd comment because everyone seems to be saying that you should wear a pant suit. I chose not to wear one last year (and got in regardless), on the advice of a professional friend who basically said "it does not matter what you are wearing, so long as its not unprofessional - so no cleavage, and no short skirts."

I was the only one in my interview that I saw who wasn't wearing a jacket, and I was completely fine with that. I wore a black short sleeve semi-turtleneck (I don't know what its called, but it doesn't fold over at the neck) shirt, with a black and grey tulip skirt, and low heels. I didn't wear tights, because I didn't own any.

Bottom line, wear what you are comfortable in. If you aren't a skirt person, don't wear a skirt. If you aren't a jacket person, don't wear a jacket. There is nothing wrong with being the only one not wearing what everyone else is.

Great discussion. Im so excited to learn about these student discounts!!

I was wondering how "crazy" can you go. I have a suit on hold at HM - gray blazer, and skirt with this ruffle thing on the left side. I was thinking of wearing silk-ish/flowy light coloured (peach) top. (I dont think I want to do a button up. They tend to show some bra between the buttons you know?) and then coloured low heels - red??

I also am unsure about the jacket - I feel so frumpy in them.

Short hair - so it'll be down. And I need makeup but definitely toned down - mascara, natural eyeshadow type stuff, and i think i'll hold back on my beloved shimmery bronzer.

I definitely agree with the comment - wear what you feel comfy in.

Hum ... They wouldn't let me combine both promotions ... I printed the 20% discount from Banana Republic. I purchased THE perfect suite. It was expensive, but definitely worth the price. I know I will use it later on for conferences, residency interview, ...

I also went to Club Monaco ... Disappointed after seeing BR.

I want to keep my long blazer on, so I've finally picked up a light-weight turtleneck (green-blue colour...very bright to offset the dark brown/black/grey of my pants and jacket) to go underneath rather than a fancier top. I like the jacket the most so I want to keep it on. Lol.

Ladies, sit down with your pants on to see if your socks show....pink and purple stars can be distracting! Lol.

I was wondering if it's Ok if I wear red blouse with my black suit or should it be white. I think most ladies will be wearing white.

I wore a fuchsia colored shirt with a blazer for my Calgary Interview and I'll most-likely be wearing it again for Western. If you feel good, ROCK the RED!

It's fine if your socks show as long as they're silk socks and not normal socks. Who wears sports socks with a pair of heels anyway? :confused:

Socks showing are not the problem--funky socks showing are the problem. Lol. And yes, I've seen a lot of ppl wear funky socks and a dress-suit. Ack.

I suppose it also depends on the structure of the shoe--not everyone will wear heels, either. I'll be wearing a half-boot pump with a square toe that's designed to be covered by a pant-leg...it's actually roomy enough to fit thicker socks in it, but I'm afraid to stretch them.

Socks showing are not the problem--funky socks showing are the problem. Lol. And yes, I've seen a lot of ppl wear funky socks and a dress-suit. Ack.

Yeah, I was amazed at how interviewees could look so put together and professional... except for the socks! I saw white sports socks with a black suit, someone who had matched their socks to their bright blue shirt, anklet socks on a guy etc. I was reminded of The Birdcage, where they're trying to teach the dad to act straight and have him dressed in a suit, but then he crosses his legs to reveal fuchsia socks. :D

• 2 months later...

What about pencil skirts? I haven't even applied to meds yet but I was discussing outfits with a friend before her interview this year and we couldn't decide if they were appropriate. I have a really nice white pencil skirt (hits the knee and half covers it when standing) that I pair with a purple button up short sleeved blouse and peep toe 2" heels. I wear it to job interviews and such in the summertime. I would get it in black and throw a jacket over it (probably one of those newer more trendier blazers that hit the hip). There would be no cleavage and only a little leg. My friend thought that was inappropriate as pencil skirts are too "casual" but I thought it would be nice! Personally, I feel best about myself when I am in an outfit that I think flatters me and this one, at least IMO does!

Something like this: (but not a see-through blouse and no shine on the skirt)

http://www.looksfine.com/wardrobe/alrslateskt.jpg

What about pencil skirts? I haven't even applied to meds yet but I was discussing outfits with a friend before her interview this year and we couldn't decide if they were appropriate. I have a really nice white pencil skirt (hits the knee and half covers it when standing) that I pair with a purple button up short sleeved blouse and peep toe 2" heels. I wear it to job interviews and such in the summertime. I would get it in black and throw a jacket over it (probably one of those newer more trendier blazers that hit the hip). There would be no cleavage and only a little leg. My friend thought that was inappropriate as pencil skirts are too "casual" but I thought it would be nice! Personally, I feel best about myself when I am in an outfit that I think flatters me and this one, at least IMO does!

Something like this: (but not a see-through blouse and no shine on the skirt)

http://www.looksfine.com/wardrobe/alrslateskt.jpg

Lovestruck:

Nice colour combination! I don't find that pencilskirts are informal - depending of course on the slit and material. A nice milled wool in the absence of shine always helps.

While black is always a safe colour - charcoal gray combined with a lilac blouse works quite well. With respect to open toed shoes - some people in the workplace consider that informal. Personally - I'm fine with it but you may find that subtleties such as a closed toe high heel may provide a cleaner look (eg: Louboutin).

Lovestruck:

Nice colour combination! I don't find that pencilskirts are informal - depending of course on the slit and material. A nice milled wool in the absence of shine always helps.

While black is always a safe colour - charcoal gray combined with a lilac blouse works quite well. With respect to open toed shoes - some people in the workplace consider that informal. Personally - I'm fine with it but you may find that subtleties such as a closed toe high heel may provide a cleaner look (eg: Louboutin).

sorry Subiculum are you saying you can afford to wear a pair of Louboutins to the interview? I thought that was the gift you buy yourself AFTER getting in :P

I don't find that pencilskirts are informal - depending of course on the slit and material. A nice milled wool in the absence of shine always helps.

I wore a charcoal gray, milled wool skirt, and I didn't think anything of it. I wore it with a button up shirt (white with maroon-y thin stripes) and a black sweater vest. I liked that I stood out a little in the sea of women in black pant suits and white shirts....booooring.

Kinemed:

The reference to the milled wool is that not all wools are equal. Depending upon the mill where the wool is acquired often reflects the quality. For instance, the Zegna mill - which is the same as the Armani mill - provides an excellent wool. Identifying a proper cut is another issue.

I wore a charcoal gray, milled wool skirt, and I didn't think anything of it. I wore it with a button up shirt (white with maroon-y thin stripes) and a black sweater vest. I liked that I stood out a little in the sea of women in black pant suits and white shirts....booooring.

• 4 months later...

I'm new here :) Can someone please recommend me a good place where I could get a suit in the Toronto and GPA area? I'm staying away from getting things online because I'm petite and find it hard to get something that fits me well. I'm ready to invest into a good suit so money's not a factor.

For those like me who live in a small town, JCrew offers some great online shopping! Banana republic also has online shopping, with the benefit of a Canadian site so you don't have to pay duty on your purchases!

I feel a bit like an ad right now, but I'm super happy with the pencil skirt I just got from JCrew :)

Archived