Premed 101 Forums

So confused!!

So,I do not know what to do and I need some advice from the non-trads. I graduated from Pharmacy in 06 now I am at a crossroads. My cGpa was 3.3 , 2 highest years 3.7, and my prereq gpa is 3.5. I have done a few practice MCATs and usually score between 33-35. I have lots of volunteering including diabetes educator, stroke educator;I have studies published, lots of community work etc.

Seems like my chances of getting into a canadian school are slim to none(correct me if I am wrong), american schools may be a possibility, the last choice I am looking at are aussie schools. Just looking for some advice and some words of wisdom. With my Gpa am i pretty much limited to aussie schools? Thanks for any advice/wisdom!!

If you're IP for Alberta, I don't think you should give up without at least applying to UofC. I know of a couple of non-trad people (they are not on this site) who have gotten into UofC with worse stats than that (and I'm applying to UofC next year with similar stats to you). You may not get in, but if med is what you really want to do you should at least apply.

Awesome, thanks for the words of wisdom. UBC and U of C were my first choices, as i currently live in rural bc. Thanks again for the input, would you guys suggest applying to UBC, UofC, and american/international universities just in case?

so funny how if you live in bc/ab you have a shot, but if you're in ontario you're pretty much sol

ps rural i think gets you bonus marks doesn't it?

Yeah that sucks and slightly unfair. I'm glad I'm in MB, I actually have a shot with my crappy GPA since it's only 15% of the consideration for the interview. plus they drop some of your worst marks (AGPA). hope is alive.

and rural usually is a bonus, it is here anyways.

If you manhandle the MCAT, you may have a shot at Western or Queens.

Western had a cutoff of PS-9, VR-11, BS-10 and WS - P this year. The previous two (or three?) years it was PS-9, VR-10, BS-11 and WS - Q.

This year, Western's GPA req'mt was 3.70 in your best two years. Last year it was 3.75, so there's a chance it could be reupped to that next year, however, it's always worth trying.

Queens doesn't post their MCAT cutoffs, but a safe score would probably be 10s across the board with a very good writing sample, probably at least an R.

Queens also doesn't post their GPA cutoff, but some people say that it could be anywhere from 3.70-3.75 for the most recent two years of undergrad.

Good luck, and a 3.7 in the best two years is awesome for a degree like pharm. Good luck and hopefully you can stay in Canada.

Thanks again guys and gals, you are giving an old guy like me hope. I likely will apply to all those mentioned, and hopefully I will get accepted to one or two. Good luck to all of you who posted, hopefully I may meet you next year for interviews!

Archived