Premed 101 Forums

Why You Should Choose Western!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
A review of the OP's points compared to U of T, for those with a decision to make... etc... etc...

Interesting post. Thanks for the feedback and your interesting opinions.

Re: clerkship.

UWO does all core rotations in 3rd year. TO only recently has shifted to this. When I matched ('back in the day') TO clerks were doing core rotations in 4th year... which was counterproductive when trying to decide on a career. This is probably why they decided to copy the UWO program ;)

I disagree that the TO clerkship is as hands-on as the UWO one. I spent a month in TO in electives, at multiple hospitals, and I have quite a few friends who go there as well. Comparing my clerkship to theirs is not even a comparison.

Re: CaRMS

As pointed out by numerous other posters, all I was saying is we have a high match rate to competitive specialties. I'm not sure how that can be debated...? When you look at the CaRMS stats from 2011, you can see that UWO had 15 (!) gen surg matches, 4 ENTs, 6 ophtho, etc etc etc etc...

Re: LMCC

Nobody said high LMCC scores mean you are a good doctor, but if you want to write Part II of the LMCC and be able to practice medicine, it is advised that you pass... Western can help you with this...

Re: Surgery

You are right, there is no formal evaluation of surgical training. However, I would argue that taking down a gall-bag, performing tonsillectomies, and doing chest tubes is a considerably better way to learn how to operate than standing in the corner behind a staff, a fellow, and 2 residents, hoping you get to scrub in for the next case.

(And yes, these experiences have been accrued during clerkship/electives at 2 schools in Ontario, approximately 2 hours apart from each other, but I won't name names ;) )

Anyways, at the end of the day, ALL schools in Canada are excellent, I was just highlighting some of the reasons why I think UWO is a solid choice for future applicants.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
you forgot the 3 rads matches too! So impressed with our class!

Anyway, I just wanted to reiterate what I mentioned in another post (upper year perspective on why uwo) since it belongs here too:

1) Core clerkship before electives. I didn't realize how much this was a huge advantage until I actually got to my electives. Not only was I not as stupid as I would have been otherwise, I felt confident in my role as a clerk and what I was expected to do. I knew how to write orders, admissions, do dictations, manage my own patients, do a good patient presentation. Now all I had to figure out (which was plenty!) was where in the chart do the orders and notes go, how to navigate the dictation system, what time and where did everything take place.... I couldn't imagine doing that AND trying to figure out how to be a good clerk... AND try to impress my attending!

From last I heard, Queen's generally does their electives within a couple months of starting clerkship. I think U of T has more time in core clerkship before doing electives, but there is (some) elective time in 3rd year, whereas at UWO there is NO elective time in 3rd year. Having some elective time in 3rd year *may* help students make up their mind if they are having difficulty choosing specialties. But then again I have classmates who, even now, after all of clerkship and electives are done, are having trouble still choosing a career (you know who you are !)

2) The second half of 4th year is called Transition period. Usefulness is debatable. (Actually no, I'm sure most people - including the faculty - would agree that it is probably the weakest aspect of the curriculum right now). Most classes aren't directly applicable to the LMCC but at least it gives us more time to study or relax, find housing, work on our tachy skit, etc. There is apparently going to be a revamp of this curriculum in the near future though to make it more useful. What ISN'T debatable though, is how great it is to NOT have to be at the hospital for 6am like in clerkship and like most other med students across Canada have to do at this time of the year!

Regarding the hectic schedule when you interview for carms, most medical schools give their students 3 weeks off (as does UWO). I know at Mac they only give the students 1 week off but many of the students work over the preceding summer so that they can take more time off for interviews.

The best preclerkship reasons to come to UWO?

- camaraderie/class spirit (but really - you'll find that at every program)

- at least 2 half days off a week for observerships/studying/slacking

- pass/fail (although most schools are now, except queens, I think)

- your mark is based on an end-of-block test (30%), exam given twice a year (40%), assignment (15%), small group participation (15%) - you are tested on the material (in different ways) twice, so there is more time to consolidate the concepts in your head. Plus, if you botch one component, you can still make up for it with the other components.

- systems-based curriculum with time given for more symptom-based 'consolidation' weeks to integrate material learned in different blocks (e.g shortness of breath lecture integrating respiratory, cardiovascular, psychiatric etc. causes).

Can anyone comment on UBC's medical school in regards to the above post? What similarities and differences are there?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Just a reminder that this thread exists to help you learn about the school :)

Can you tell me about what general opportunities exist at Western for med students (in terms of overseas electives, program timeframes, school-related events (bands, socials, etc.)?

EDIT: Are there any programs where med students get to work/interact with aboriginal communities?

Thanks!

Can you tell me about what general opportunities exist at Western for med students (in terms of overseas electives, program timeframes, school-related events (bands, socials, etc.)?

EDIT: Are there any programs where med students get to work/interact with aboriginal communities?

Thanks!

Oh gosh - there is almost no end to that actually. You are going to have to be a bit more specific :)

There are several clubs and research opportunities with aboriginal committees.

There are over a hundred medical student specific clubs - and the excludes most of the athletics, that is a separate category.

Our global health office sets up both summer research and summer overseas electives. Many options, many choices.

We have usually 1-2 large school wide social events a month, and each individual class creates many more. I don't think I would exaggerating if I said we have a full social calendar.

Each class has a band, we run a major musical each year, at least two talent shows, we have several other music related clubs...... Plus we just have students doing their own music all over the place.

A lot of this is creating an atmosphere where you can go off and do anything that interests you with support. That is one of Westerns strengths actually. It is not a passive arrangement.

Anything you want to know about in particular just ask!

A big fat list of Schulich student-run clubs can be found here. Note that this excludes any Western University clubs, which you'd also have access to at Schulich (e.g. Western debate team, improv team, etc).

These all have access to funding, and currently have a reasonable number of members.

Something you like doing not on there - no worries, just create it.

I am not generally enthusiastic about "college" life. It doesn't attract me to see big groups of people partying together but that page looks cool. I like the diversity in clubs and the schedule that they put up. If I am chosen at UWO I would be excited for that 8:30 start every morning.

With our class size there's a good variety of personalities represented. Everyone is able to find their niche. The parties and such are there if you want them, but we also have interest groups and events that are less "busy" if that's your thing (e.g. board games club, potluck club). There's definitely no shame in not coming out to everything--there's so much to do it would almost be irresponsible to go to everything :P

With our class size there's a good variety of personalities represented. Everyone is able to find their niche. The parties and such are there if you want them, but we also have interest groups and events that are less "busy" if that's your thing (e.g. board games club, potluck club). There's definitely no shame in not coming out to everything--there's so much to do it would almost be irresponsible to go to everything :P

absolutely - I am definitely not a party animal kind of guy but there was tons of stuff of interest for me. One of the most amazing things about a medical school is the shear diversity - there are so many people doing interesting things it is really hard not to find people to connect with.

• 3 months later...
I am not generally enthusiastic about "college" life. It doesn't attract me to see big groups of people partying together but that page looks cool. I like the diversity in clubs and the schedule that they put up. If I am chosen at UWO I would be excited for that 8:30 start every morning.

I feel the same way. I'm not exactly a "party animal" and I tend to avoid large groups (it's the introvert in me :( ). I don't drink or smoke and I tend to be rather conservative. I sometimes worry that I won't be able to find anyone else quite like me, making me the oddball of the class.

I feel the same way. I'm not exactly a "party animal" and I tend to avoid large groups (it's the introvert in me :( ). I don't drink or smoke and I tend to be rather conservative. I sometimes worry that I won't be able to find anyone else quite like me, making me the oddball of the class.

There is a large fraction of the class like that (probably every class at every medical school). Because they are not vocal they didn't to be less visible but that doesn't mean they are not there - in fact they are common :)

If I want to return home to do residency, do Western grads place well at McGill, for example?

We just matched two rads there this year - it is hard to give exact numbers for stuff like that as not that many people try to go to McGill from Western. All I can say is overall we match very well (97% first round match rate with a lot of in demand specialties in there)

I don't drink either - I end up skipping the majority of large class social events because of that, but there are always smaller gatherings and just hanging out with friends as well as club events.

I was pleasantly surprised by how often our class would just go out to eat together. O Week is also a decent mix of drinking and non drinking events, though I ended up skipping most of the evening events.

• 8 months later...

hey,

has anyone had any success in finding an overview of the curriculum at Western (for all 4 years)?

I found a good 1 page summary of Queen's curriculum, and when electives and rotations begin.. is there something similar for Western? I am having a hard time figuring out how their teaching is organized.

does Western have PBL, or is it mainly didactic and some small group learning (non-problem based)?

also - in the clinical skills part of the curriculum in preclerkship, are there opportunities to observe interactions before you begin interacting with standardized patients?

hey,

has anyone had any success in finding an overview of the curriculum at Western (for all 4 years)?

I found a good 1 page summary of Queen's curriculum, and when electives and rotations begin.. is there something similar for Western? I am having a hard time figuring out how their teaching is organized.

does Western have PBL, or is it mainly didactic and some small group learning (non-problem based)?

also - in the clinical skills part of the curriculum in preclerkship, are there opportunities to observe interactions before you begin interacting with standardized patients?

I'll admit that the one thing Western doesn't have is a clear schedule :P

Basic curriculum is years 1 and 2 are your standard pre-clerkship, in-class stuff. We go from Sept to late May/early June, with about three months off in the summer. Year 3 is our clerkship rotations, which run the full year, September to September. Year 4 is for electives.

In-class teaching is mostly didactic with some small group instruction. There is some PBL within those small groups and through assignments, but it's not the major focus.

For clinical skills, the way it was done this year is we had our instructor demonstrate one interaction, but past that, it's all us. It's not necessarily smooth, but that's what the standardized patients are for - to let us screw up in a safe environment.