Premed 101 Forums

Traveling - Self-booking or travel agency?

hkmedic

I want to take some time off this summer (no more summer courses, working, etc.) and just travel.

I've been looking around online at some tour packages/flights, and was wondering for those who have traveled extensively before, did you do everything on your own or did you go see a travel agency and have them do it for you?

Anytime I have travelled, I have always booked everything myself. Now that being said, I have never gone on an organized tour and have just backpacked with only a general idea about what I want to do. I personally like having a little bit of flexibility with what I'm doing instead of being on someone else's schedule.

A little bit of reading/research (as cliche as this sounds, Lonely Planet is actually a good start) or stopping in to chat with an agent at a student travel centre can help put you in the right direction. Better yet, talk to your friends and see what they have done. My experience has been anyone who has travelled (myself included!) always wants to talk about their trips and share their tips :D

Also, with regards to flights, if you are close enough to the border, it is often A LOT cheaper to fly out of/in to the states. I once saved 400 dollars by returning to Seattle instead of Vancouver.

Hope this helps!

Anytime I have travelled, I have always booked everything myself. Now that being said, I have never gone on an organized tour and have just backpacked with only a general idea about what I want to do. I personally like having a little bit of flexibility with what I'm doing instead of being on someone else's schedule.

A little bit of reading/research (as cliche as this sounds, Lonely Planet is actually a good start) or stopping in to chat with an agent at a student travel centre can help put you in the right direction. Better yet, talk to your friends and see what they have done. My experience has been anyone who has travelled (myself included!) always wants to talk about their trips and share their tips :D

Also, with regards to flights, if you are close enough to the border, it is often A LOT cheaper to fly out of/in to the states. I once saved 400 dollars by returning to Seattle instead of Vancouver.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! Very helpful!

Unfortunately, I only have a few friends who have traveled extensively (ie. backpacking-types), and so decided to try PM101 for advice. :) There's just so much information, air tickets/tour operator websites on the internet that it's overwhelming, and it's really hard to find out which one is 'good' or 'bad', despite reading reviews. For me, I'm the type who likes to see real culture, whether it's ancient ruins or modern art, and not spend time at the bars, beaches or shopping malls.

And the advice about flying to the US first was news to me, but very helpful for sure (I do live close to the Canada-US border!).

Self-book.

Once I decide where I'm going, I just search the internet for interesting things to see/places to go in that location. I make a general list, but I rarely stick to it. Mostly, I ask the locals (in restaurants, on the street, etc) what they recommend I do. I've found a lot of hidden gems in cities this way. In the end, I barely do 1/3 of the things on my list because the locals inform me of better things.

Edit: And I completely agree with the other poster's point about flying out from the US. I was able to take a bus to buffalo and then fly out from there, and it was still much cheaper than flying out from Canada (including the extra price of the bus ticket).

It really depends what kind of traveller you are... do you want to explore at your own pace or do you want less stress by moving around with a tour? Are you travelling solo or with a friend? I know friends who have done all combinations of the above.

Personally, I prefer to book everything myself and travel with one person.

I know friends who have had good luck travelling with GAP Adventures and Contiki.

If you have a place you are thinking about travelling, we can offer advice here - but the world is a big place.

I travelled to Japan and loved it. It was safe, clean and a great way to learn about a new culture, experience architecture and natural beauty and devour delicious food. It could totally be done solo. A bit pricey but completely worth it. June is the beginning of the rainy season, so look into that.

I am heading to Turkey soon... very affordable travel but a bit more sketch if going solo outside Istanbul.

If those areas are of interest, PM me.

I never go with a travel agent. In all of my trips abroad, they've all been planned buy me. If you do enough searching you can find airline tickets for cheaper than the agency gets them, and you get get much better hotel accommodations as well. I like to do my research on places to go in a city about 2-3 months before I go to get a good feel as what places are must-see's.

Archived