Premed 101 Forums

Future of Dentistry

Hey guys, I've been thinking lately about the field of Dentistry. In this time of recession, having nice teeth is not exactly on top of people's priority list. Are dentists suffering financially from this? Also, major cities like Vancouver and Toronto are super saturated with dentists. When I'm driving in Vancouver, I could spot at least one clinic on every block (in commercial areas of course). How do the dentists attract enough patients to keep their practices running? Are there enough people in the city to support all the dentists? Also, dental hygienists can now start their own practices. They tend to charge lower prices than the fee guide. Won't this decrease the client base of dentists as well? What about the entry of mid-level providers? Dental therapists can now perform hygiene as well as mild restorative procedures like fillings. How will this affect dentists in the future? I understand dentistry is a pretty stable career, but some of the things that are happening now make me question this a bit....

I wouldnt think that dentistry is going to be harmed that much. If you got pain from a cavity or what have you...you ll definitely seek professional help. Unless you re a cosmetic dentist then i don't think you'd suffer. I was looking at stats from the CDA and still the population ratio to dentists is pretty high and there will be lots of retirement happen over the next 10 years from baby boomers. So i think it should be ok! At the end of the day..you really have to be happy with it as a longterm career i think!

Hi alphacow, my fellow vancouverite!

I've heard that one before, but it is a common misconception that the drastic demographic shift will necessarily benefit dentists. Yes, there will be a greater demand for geriatric dentists, but more people are keeping their natural teeth than ever, and even with a shortened dental arch, dental implants or protheses are definitely not a necessity. I work with many older adults, and some of them wished they'd lost all their teeth, so they don't have to worry about them anymore. Most of them actually feel that treatment cost/pain outweighs the opportunity cost since they don't have many years left.

From what I heard from my classmates (UBC dentistry graduates), competition is just too fierce in vancouver area, you gotta look elsewhere like the interior BC especially if you are just starting out.

I've read an article in Times not so long ago about dentistry thriving in recession since people put off their visits to dentists until it gets unbearable, ending up costing them more money than it should have. I guess that's a good news for you if youre considering a career in dentsitry.

GL.

Well, I don't think there will be a problem with the future of the entire field. But there will be cyclic change to the environment.

For example, during the recent economic downturn, most dentists became very busy because ppl with benefits fear layoff, went to the dentist to get everything done before the benefits expired. Now that it is a jobless recovery, some dentists had slow down a bit, but still making a decent living.

As with any out of pocket procedures, they tends to slow down abit immediately post recession.

________

Steroid rehab forums

Guest success100

Dentists will always be around,there's no vaccine preventing cavities and i don't think there will be.Hygienists are not "that much" of a problem,since their job is to clean the teeth and can only do 1/4th of the Dentist's job.

More and more people are becoming even more ignorant about dental health,which will force them to see a dentist ANYWAYS.

Dentists are among the top 10 most rewarding jobs here in Canada and it will be so for the next decades as well.

Generalists will never starve.

If you want to be a pediatric dentist,you will never suffer as long as Halloween keep existing,recession or not.

This job is still in growth and there's a lot more to come for Dentists,especially when retirement will hit the market in a few years.

Guest success100
LOL

That and the fact that most people will feel a lot guiltier neglecting their kids' teeth than their own.

Still,in most areas,Pediatric Dentists always have their schedules FULL because of visits =D

Don't really know what you're talking about, but my dentist is overworked, about 60+hrs/week. We don't even take walk-ins. Only referrals from doctors and other patients.

It all boils down to reputation too. If you do your job well, your patients recommend you, and you never really have to advertise, EVER.

Legit, hard-working dentists now have competition from foreign dentists charging under fee guide rates. But patients usually return after a nasty experience.

Your future is safe, if you are good at your job!

Guest success100
Don't really know what you're talking about, but my dentist is overworked, about 60+hrs/week. We don't even take walk-ins. Only referrals from doctors and other patients.

It all boils down to reputation too. If you do your job well, your patients recommend you, and you never really have to advertise, EVER.

Legit, hard-working dentists now have competition from foreign dentists charging under fee guide rates. But patients usually return after a nasty experience.

Your future is safe, if you are good at your job!

Yea,it's basically like a Family doctor running it's own practice,if you suck at the job,your income will suck,simple as that.

Of course on a dental forum, people will discount the evidence that dentists are affected by the down-turned economy. Dentistry is largely considered "recession proof" and this has been the conception for a while. Which is a fair call when you think that generally, there should be an endless market for people who need to look after their oral health. However, those who do not take into account the current changes to the dental profession, and think that they can just cruise along and get bank as they go golfing 3 times a week, are naive and ignorant.

The fact of the matter is, in many areas such as Vancouver and Toronto, there certainly is an added strain due to the economic times. Compounded by the fact that these cities are over-populated with dentists already doesn't help. Go to a rural practice and dentists will say, "what recession"? Supply and demand.

Those are the extremes. A close friend of mine works in a dental lab selling equipment to clinics around the city, and he has lost three clients who have had their clinics go under. The fact of the matter is, dentistry is more than 50% business related and many of them are unaware how to conduct a proper efficient business and to adapt to a changing market. Dentistry is highly lucrative, yes we know that. But very few have the ability to take advantage of it. Doctors have this problem too, alot of them don't know how to manage their money. Another close family friend of mine also is a bank manager at a local branch at says Dentists are the worst for defaulting on their loans. I think the blindfold should come off, and people should realize that the profession does still come down, in the end, to the individual.

However, I do agree that dentists will not starve. And tonnes of dentists are doing great during these times. Instead of taking my anecdotal evidence too seriously, I merely just want to point out that dentistry, in the end is not some miracle profession that makes you rich quick. It's a job and pays well but isn't immune to the effects of the market as some seem to portray it as.

Archived