Premed 101 Forums

UBC or UT??

Hey guys, I have a very hard decision to make in a few days. I've been accepted into both schools and I really don't know which to attend. Ubc is insanely expensive, but since my parents are in Vancouver, I could save some money by living at home. However, their place is about an hour bus ride from ubc campus, so the commute migh get really tiring. I'm pretty impartial towards PBL , but I do know that ubc students work VERY hard and are usually at school from 8 to 6. Also, the first 2 years at ubc is done with med students. I don't know too much about UT. I know that it's purely lecture based, so it might be a bit easier? The tuition there is 32000 per year, add another 10,000 for living costs, it might not be that different from ubc. Also I heard UT might be better for specializing? I'm not too sure though. What do you guys think? Any insight from UBC or UT students????? Thanks!

wow first of all congrats on gettin into two...sighs so lucky!

anyways, i can tell u what i've heard/gathered from premed/dental students but i'm not a current dental student so my info may not be 100% correct/reliable...

so first, total cost seems like it's gonna be around the same for u. next, do u prefer vancouver or toronto? do u wanna live with ur fam or by urself? lol i dunno if u lived in toronto so would u wanna try a new city? personally i think i like vancouver more but that's maybe cuz i haven't lived in van yet but i lived in toronto before...

i also heard UBC has a very nice faculty whereas UofT is old and it's far away from other buildings...

when i talked to UofT students, they said having connections will have a bit of benefit when it comeos to specializing. when i talked to dean of dentistry from mcgill he said there is absolutely no preference of where u came from when choosing u into specialty and in fact having all specialties in ur faculty is bad because then all the difficult cases are treated by these residents when normally students would be able to observe and learn...but i'm sure this was just mcgill's biased argument. when i talked to dental students not from uoft they said uoft is known for very demanding work, and hard classes and u ll have more difficult time being top 10% of ur class to be able to specialize...i dunno if that's true lol

i think no matter where u go, it's gonna be difficult to specialize in canada from what i hear...ppl in the states seem to have it a bit better...

for uoft's argument...they always say nice city, good reputation...hmm that's about it i guess...

so having said that, i think it's just up to u to decide would u feel happier being in uoft or UBC for the next 4 yrs? lol

hope it helps a bit...i wish i had some choices to make!!

I sorta think I know who you are... but I thought you were from mcgil... guess not

Anyways, I'm in the process of making the same decision.. + uwo I guess.. if I get insanely lucky

I'm leaning towards ubc almost. Can't say it's because of their wonderful PBL program that I'm attracted to, as you are, I'm quite impartial to that.

It would be nice to learn in a new way that is different from my... 15 ? years of education but I can see some downside of PBL as well (time consuming etc). Also since I'm from vancouver as well, it would save me my housing expenses, although it would be 30 min commuting every day, can't complain I guess..

In terms of faculty, I was really, truly impressed by both UBC and UT. I really liked how UT has their strong clinic experience starting from year 1 compared to ubc. Since I'm not in dental school, I have no idea how that's gonna effect my future career, but from where I stand, UT's curriculum has its ups and downs that are quite different from that of UBC.

In the end, it's all about YOU. I've been thinking about this for a while, but this decision we make will be one of the biggest ones in our lives. You just gotta follow what your heart tells you

based upon commute alone, I would opt for UofT, another city, you probab ly will have Vanc for the rest of your life.

I am premed and don't have a clue about dentistry. GL with your choice, I hope to have my choice shortly for med schools and I have already ranked my options and have made my choices in priority.

Guest success100

Specializing in Canada as an orthodontist or OMFS is difficult and will always be.

The fact that you have "back up contacts" doesn't guarantee your entry to residency in any way(unless for recommendation letters.)

In fact,lots of Canadian graduates go to U.S. to specialize,since there's a lot more schools,which means more spots.

But still,don't try to aim high(Trying to get into Harvard for a residency is like playing russian roulette,expensive and stressful when you know your mates are mental giants...)

Archived