Premed 101 Forums

April 23 MCAT

The Law

Post your thoughts.

PS - ugh. I really struggled this whole section. Very few (if any) gimme questions. I had to completely guess for a few, and found it way harder than any of the online tests that I did. I haven't scored less than a 10 on my practices, but this honestly felt horrible. I seriously considered voiding my scores but opted not to.

VR - passages were longer than practice, questions about same difficulty. I'm optimistic here.

WS - didn't particularly like the prompts, but it was ok I think.

BS - quite a few tricky questions. I think it was harder than the aamc ones because it was longer and they were almost all passages about experiments. Overall, it was ok I think - but if you are preparing now, I advise you to give yourself less time in bio. Also, 1 orgo passage - didn't read any of it, but still was able to do the questions- about 3 stand alone orgo Qs.

Overall impression: I am scared to death about ps. I struggled like crazy during it. I'm gonna sign up for a june test date and try to stay in writing form, just in case..

Ps-thanks to all of you for being so supportive. You are all amazing and definitely help me keep my spirits up.

Post your thoughts.

PS - ugh. I really struggled this whole section. Very few (if any) gimme questions. I had to completely guess for a few, and found it way harder than any of the online tests that I did. I haven't scored less than a 10 on my practices, but this honestly felt horrible. I seriously considered voiding my scores but opted not to.

VR - passages were longer than practice, questions about same difficulty. I'm optimistic here.

WS - didn't particularly like the prompts, but it was ok I think.

BS - quite a few tricky questions. I think it was harder than the aamc ones because it was longer and they were almost all passages about experiments. Overall, it was ok I think - but if you are preparing now, I advise you to give yourself less time in bio. Also, 1 orgo passage - didn't read any of it, but still was able to do the questions- about 3 stand alone orgo Qs.

Overall impression: I am scared to death about ps. I struggled like crazy during it. I'm gonna sign up for a june test date and try to stay in writing form, just in case..

Ps-thanks to all of you for being so supportive. You are all amazing and definitely help me keep my spirits up.

But at least you're done? yay for having a summer! you've earned it!

Yay Law!!!! I still think you did better then you think you did. You knew your stuff and chances are, others will have struggled too. Just know that you were more prepared than your average MCAT writer. I bet you dropped knowledge bombs all over that exam! the AAMC evil gnomes who write the exam are gonna be pissed when they have to give you such an awesome score.

Sounds like it was a very tough exam.

For PS, do you remember which topic was covered? electric chem? acid/base, or combination?

I'm little scared now. I feel that last MCAT I wrote, was an easy MCAT (+ better preparation) and I should have done well enough to have rewriting it like this!!! Grr verbal!

I also did the exam today.

PS- I would prefer more physics questions, but overall I think I did ok. Passages were quite long so I almost ran out of time.

VR- I felt pretty good for the first 3-4 passages but it just went downhill after that because I ran out of time. Had to guess the last two questions.

WS- I didn't like the first topic since I didn't really have any concrete counter example for it. The second topic was alright though.

BS- I agree with Law- TONS of experiments so the questions were quite tricky. Alot of relationship type of question that requires both the info from passage and the biology concept from textbook (i.e If hormone A increase but protein B decrease, what would happen to the transcription of enzyme C?)

Overall, I felt alright for PS and BS but not so much for VR.

used to be much longer than that :) thank goodness for electronic tests!

Yeah, how long did it use to be? Like 2-3 months?

And back with the paper-and-pencil administrations, the MCAT could only be written twice per year (April and August, I believe).

I think I remember reading that, with the advent of CBT, the goal of the AAMC was to eventually have score reporting down to ~15 days from the test date.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived