Premed 101 Forums

Success Stories- Non Trad Style!

Just got two acceptance! So excited!

I finished my first bachelor in 1997 in biology, then when for a Master (1999) in microbiology, and started a Ph.D. I quit before finishing it (lab was not my thing!) and started teaching at university. Wasn't my thing either... Then, I worked for almost 10 years in pharma, mostly in clinical trials and training of the sales force.

During all this time, I felt something was missing, and I never really stop studying. I did a short program in pedagogy of higher education, a diploma in management, and finally an MBA I finished last year.

Last december, it's like the stars were aligned and I decided I try a shot at going back to med school. I didn't think about the fact that I might have to re-do some pre-req, just sent in my applications (in Québec French schools, we don't have to do the MCAT)... My first rejection came from UdeM, because my pre-req were apparently too old (even though I feel I am still in the field, anyway). I got invited for interview for UL and UdeS, and while there, I spoke with other applicants who had to re-do some pre-req, so I was very stressed that I might be rejected because of that...

Then, yesterday at 6:00, I got 2 offers, for UL and UdeS! Whououou! I am soo excited, but then also very stressed, because it means I have to move my family, sell the house, husband need to find a new job... you see the picture! But we'll make it happen, I have no doubt!

I finished my first bachelor in 1997 in biology, then when for a Master (1999) in microbiology, and started a Ph.D. I quit before finishing it (lab was not my thing!) and started teaching at university. Wasn't my thing either... Then, I worked for almost 10 years in pharma, mostly in clinical trials and training of the sales force.

During all this time, I felt something was missing, and I never really stop studying. I did a short program in pedagogy of higher education, a diploma in management, and finally an MBA I finished last year.

Last december, it's like the stars were aligned and I decided I try a shot at going back to med school. I didn't think about the fact that I might have to re-do some pre-req, just sent in my applications (in Québec French schools, we don't have to do the MCAT)... My first rejection came from UdeM, because my pre-req were apparently too old (even though I feel I am still in the field, anyway). I got invited for interview for UL and UdeS, and while there, I spoke with other applicants who had to re-do some pre-req, so I was very stressed that I might be rejected because of that...

Then, yesterday at 6:00, I got 2 offers, for UL and UdeS! Whououou! I am soo excited, but then also very stressed, because it means I have to move my family, sell the house, husband need to find a new job... you see the picture! But we'll make it happen, I have no doubt!

congrats! exciting times! :)

Fantastic! :P Both are great choices.:P

Do you really have to sell your house and hubby find a new job? Why not keep the house, hubby keeps his job, hire someone for the kids if any, you go to Sherby, return home on weekends, you will manage with the bank LOC and residency in Montreal, all back to normal. And during the week, you have hardly any distractions, being focused on your studies. It is possible!

Congratulations! you got there!:D

Do you really have to sell your house and hubby find a new job? Why not keep the house, hubby keeps his job, hire someone for the kids if any, you go to Sherby, return home on weekends, you will manage with the bank LOC and residency in Montreal, all back to normal. And during the week, you have hardly any distractions, being focused on your studies. It is possible!

Well, since I am most probably going to UdeS, but campus Saguenay, and this is 6 hours drive from Mtl, I believe it is better to move the family with me... (My parents and sibling are there as well, so more family support) Driving back and forth for a few months or a year is feasible, but more than that, you don't see your kids grow up and I believe the family should stay together as much as possible. Also, since the cost of living in Saguenay is much cheaper than Mtl, by selling the house, and buying a smaller one, we can live on the equity of this one and have no mortgage for the house, so no need to tap into LOC, and if possible finish school not too much in debt. That's the plan anyway :-)

most people I know don't enjoy the thought of not seeing or spending time with their kids (regardless of how limited it may be) most days of the week.

I did this for a year working in Chicago and it was not easy on my relationship. Can't imagine having to do it with kids in the picture as well. Actually, I would not have gone if I had kids.

Well, since I am most probably going to UdeS, but campus Saguenay, and this is 6 hours drive from Mtl, I believe it is better to move the family with me... (My parents and sibling are there as well, so more family support) Driving back and forth for a few months or a year is feasible, but more than that, you don't see your kids grow up and I believe the family should stay together as much as possible. Also, since the cost of living in Saguenay is much cheaper than Mtl, by selling the house, and buying a smaller one, we can live on the equity of this one and have no mortgage for the house, so no need to tap into LOC, and if possible finish school not too much in debt. That's the plan anyway :-)

Yes, with Saguenay, my suggestion is not feasible and you have a good plan. :P Also, you will be in a boutique med school with less than 40 classmates, which is great for so many reasons! :P

To those that are old and still wanting to become a physician, NEVER GIVE UP.

I came to Canada in 1985 as a vietnamese immigrant. My family lived in poverty and to make a living, I went to pick worms during night and berry picking during the days. I decided that the only way to succeed was to obtain a good education. I went to university and during the first undergrad, I failed miserably because I was too focused on the party life and making monkey. My body is littered with tattoos (which I regret). It wasn't until a mishap that occurred 3 years ago (I'd rather not say) that I decided to pursue my initial dream of medicine. I always knew that I had the intelligence to do it but the problem was could I commit to it. I went back to do another 3 year of undergrad and during this time, I decided to build up my profile by volunteering, working in the lab, etc. If you saw me you would probably never think I was meant for school but never judge a book by its cover. I applied to 3 schools this year and interviewed at all 3. I got accepted into 2 and waitlisted at the one that was my top choice. Today I got off the waitlist for my top choice and will be attending there. My word of advice to those that really love medicine but are doubting themselves, don't doubt. COMMIT and strive forward with determination. You will succeed and accomplish your dream.

So excited to be able to post this!

I always knew I wanted to be a doctor, ever since I was 7 years old. My dad was a doctor and my mom a nurse, so it just came naturally. I applied to med straight from CEGEP, even though I knew I didn't quite have the grades. I ended up in my 3rd choice, physiotherapy. I knew it wasn't the right program from day 1, but I persevered because I didn't want to give up. I remember talking with students who had finally made it in after 3 tries or more, how excited they were to be there. I just felt like I ended up there by dumb luck, and it was very unsettling. Although I did very well on exams, my clinical placements were difficult, and I lacked the maturity to deal with some tough situations. I ended up leaving one of them on terrible terms with the whole physiotherapy department of that hospital, leading to an F on my record. (Although not tabulated into GPA as it was pass/fail.) I almost lost my nerve, I was terrified to go back into the hospitals. I redid that placement in a different setting, and I thrived. I thought I was out of the woods, when I almost failed a second placement with a specialized clientele of spinal cord rehab. I thought for sure that was what I wanted to do, and when I barely passed I lost all interest.

Out of school, I moved halfway across the country to live with my then-boyfriend and took a job in a private physiotherapy clinic. Things didn't work out with my boyfriend, and I ended up coming out, realizing that I was gay. I was on my own in a new city, no one to turn to, and just as I started to get back on my feet in my very first place of my own, I got fired from my job due to interpersonal conflict with a senior employee. I had no notice, and ended up relying on daddy to make rent that month. I picked myself up and found a new job, where I quickly was assigned to manage a new location in my company's chain of clinics. I was 23 years old, taking care of my own caseload of 20 patients a day, and dealing with the day-to-day operation of the clinic. Although I was making more money than I knew what to do with, I was stressed and felt like I just couldn't continue on at that pace.

I was still finding myself romantically, and dealt with multiple break-ups and heartaches, until I met a nice girl who was willing to move back to Montreal with me and start something different. At this point, I reapplied to med. I flew in for the interview, and didn't even make the wait list. I was so disappointed, and scared off by the interview, which was much harsher than I was prepared for, I decided to commit myself fully to physiotherapy and forget about med school altogether. I started to work under a very highly trained therapist and I began to see connections I had never seen. My practice changed completely, I started to enjoy my job, and see real changes in my clients every day. I developed excellent interpersonal skills, and chatting with a client one day, who had been on the interview committee for McGill med, I remembered how badly I had always wanted to be a doctor. She rooted for me, and told me she thought I was the perfect candidate, and that she was sure I would get in. It was just enough to motivate me to go through one more cycle, and go through the lengthly application process for McGill as well as UdeM and Sherbrooke. When McGill didn't offer me an interview, I was pretty down, but sure enough UdeM was willing to give me another shot.

This time, I was ready. I knew exactly what was coming, and exactly what I had to do. I had to show each and every interviewer in those 12 stations why I was ready for med school. I talked about my 5 years of experience in physiotherapy, I talked about facing adversity, I drew on personal and professional experience. I was so thorough that I mostly answered their follow up questions before they even asked them. I handled their challenges easily, as if talking to a friend or rather a distinguished colleague. I gave my opinion, I backed it up, I considered many facets... I could see in their eyes that they were impressed by me. As they shook my hand, and wished me luck, I felt like something was very different from my previous attempt. As I sat in the hallway after my first few stations, I realized: I'm going to be a doctor!

May 29, 2013... I received my acceptance letter. I'm going to be a doctor. And just like that, my life will never be the same. I have never felt this feeling before... the feeling of finally getting something that I've always wanted. And it seems like everything in my life has led up to this. All the challenges have prepared me, and I truly wouldn't want it any other way. I wasn't ready before, and I now understand why I hadn't been accepted. But I am ready now, and I just can't wait. I'm so excited to bring my experience to the classroom. I don't know many (any really) physiotherapists who got to my level of experience and training (lots of post-graduate education) and then went to med. I am so confident with my musculoskeletal diagnosing and treating.... I'm leaning strongly towards family medicine and I can't wait to be one of the good ones, to be able to make the right calls, and refer appropriately. I have witnessed first hand the difference a good family doctor can make, and I am soooo ready to be that person... you know, 6 years from now when I finish my residency :)

Thanks for reading, and never give up!

Thank you all for the encouragement :)

It's all still slowly sinking in... like I dreamt the whole thing. I'm really going back to school? This is really happening? It's incredible how you can spend a lifetime hoping and coveting something, and then one day, it just materializes. After so many tries, everything falls into place. The only way you will ever know is if you try again, even though it's hard to get rejected. Don't take it personal, but then again, take it personal. Find out what you did wrong, and fix it.

I thought about my first interview for years, and it made me cringe. But I learned a lot from it. It makes me proud to know that I got in because of the interview. My grades haven't changed since my last attempt, but my interview was much, much stronger. The interview is your time to shine, to sell yourself, to display all of your qualities and life experience. If you bombed your last attempt, think long and hard about why you deserve to be there, and make sure you put it all on the table. In the end, it came down to me knowing myself. The self-reflection required to write a personal statement like the one I prepared for McGill was actually a huge help, because I had a lot to draw on when they asked me questions about my leadership abilities, experiences and interests. I even got asked point blank: tell me in 1 minute why I should pick you over everyone else. I knew exactly what to say. I had practiced that in my mind, and it came out even better than planned. I suggest that anyone going for interviews think long and hard about that question, and say it out loud until you believe it. Draw from that as much as possible in your traditional interview questions, where you can say things like: well, because of my experience in _______, I have had a chance to think about this..... etc. For me, that was because of my experience as a musculoskeletal physiotherapist working in private practice for 5 years. But it's whatever makes your candidacy unique.

When I filled out the McGill application, I got nervous, because I had so many blanks. I have no research, awards, publications and just a few volunteer experiences. I wasn't a hardcore premed doing everything right to get in. My angle was my general life experience, and my physiotherapy background, and I played it up every single chance I got. So at the end of the day, you don't really need the whole package, but you do need something. Stick to your thing, and WERK IT.

:)

That's my motivational post, and honestly, the advice I wish I had been given years ago. Don't forget, if they gave you an interview, you're already good enough to get in. You just need to beat out 2 other people for your seat, or whatever the ratio is where you're applying.

Hi there,

I have been a long time lurker.

Today, I was accepted to medical school, off from the alternative list. It was definitely a surprise and little unexpected...because it was only yesterday I decided to finally give up my wait list and head down to waterloo (got accepted to Opt).

God, how I waited for this moment, to write in non-trad and share my story.

My journey started in my 3rd year when I applied to Mc,

I think I applied because everyone else around me did, and I had the mentality of 'who knows..?' and also Mc was the only school that did not heavily weigh on MCAT.

And then 4th year I decided to go to Grad school after being rejected again.

at the end of my first year Msc, I applied again including American Meds.... rejection again and at the end of second year MSc, I got an interview offer from Queen's.

I've also applied to Australia just in case that year and was about to head to Australia before invited to Queen's.

I was on waiting list all summer and it was the most excruciating time I have ever spent in my life...

I've wrote MCAT 6 times by the way... to improve my verbal score.

my first one VR was 8 and then 9 and it stayed static. I think the biggest reason why Mc rejected me was the low VR score...

Each time I applied, I tried with better stats.... and when I finally reached VR 10, I said 'enough' to MCAT and stopped trying to improve my marks (I think reaching '10' landed me an interview at Queen's.) my writing section was 95% but it was no longer important in admission process, so....

The only reason why I wrote so many MCAT was to improve my VR score...

Last year (2 years out from MSc) I applied again...it was my 'last' shot... I also formulated back-up plan. My desire to play bigger part in healthcare led me to optometry... I've considered dentist, pharmacist and PT/OT but I seriously couldn't see myself in it for some reason.... also.. I wasn't sure if the schools would take me.

(Dental for sure no! because I wasn't motivated to write DAT at all and my GPA was too low to even have a shot, so I gave up early in the game).

I studied for OAT summer last year and got perfect in their VR, had interview with waterloo during winter time and then was accepted early this year.

Anyways, I was invited for 2 interviews this year, because I applied more broadly with English credit obtained during my years after MSc.

I've already been accepted to optometry so I was more 'relaxed'...

However, being in a waiting list at Queen's and having gone through the interview, I wanted to practice. Met up with similar minded people and participated in at least 8 different MMI practice sessions (my weekends leading to interview... I really enjoyed them actually to hear so many different perspective of certain problems and getting feedback! I absolutely recommend this practice, I think my perspective of this world matured little bit through other's feedback. ) but when the waiting list news came from both schools, I was depressed. Checking premed forum almost obsessively, I became more obsessed than I was on May 14/15.

Summary:

Applications to Cdn medical school, American medical school and Australian medical school.

5 application cycles.

6 MCATs.

3 WL.

1 Acceptance.

I cried when I saw e-mail from admission today and it was a such catharsis, my mom cried too...because you know I'm such a depressing person lol. just as another non-trad accepted person described him/herself.

I've kind of isolated myself from many people. Most of peers from my years are already graduating/graudated from dental, medical, pharm, law and I felt so ashamed going no where...and stuck wanting more and more...

However, I'm getting scared now... it took me this long and this many applications and MCATs to get in... will I be good enough? and also...maybe optometry might be better (gaining independence after 4 years of edu.)

Anyway...there you go, my story.

Thanks for reading and I'm not sure if my story will inspire someone but just know there are people who are very persistent.

Congratulations!!!!

I can't imagine how happy you must be!

All of that work paid off... you worked so hard to get in, I'm sure you will work just as hard when you're in med school :)

I just graduated and even though all of my peers got in to med school, I feel like somehow... I'm not "ready" yet (not mature enough?)..so I'll be taking a year off and work hard. I hope that I will be able to come back to this thread and hope i inspire others as you inspired me. Perseverance and patience is the way to go. Good luck with your future endeavors!

Hi there,

I have been a long time lurker.

Today, I was accepted to medical school, off from the alternative list. It was definitely a surprise and little unexpected...because it was only yesterday I decided to finally give up my wait list and head down to waterloo (got accepted to Opt).

God, how I waited for this moment, to write in non-trad and share my story.

My journey started in my 3rd year when I applied to Mc,

I think I applied because everyone else around me did, and I had the mentality of 'who knows..?' and also Mc was the only school that did not heavily weigh on MCAT.

And then 4th year I decided to go to Grad school after being rejected again.

at the end of my first year Msc, I applied again including American Meds.... rejection again and at the end of second year MSc, I got an interview offer from Queen's.

I've also applied to Australia just in case that year and was about to head to Australia before invited to Queen's.

I was on waiting list all summer and it was the most excruciating time I have ever spent in my life...

I've wrote MCAT 6 times by the way... to improve my verbal score.

my first one VR was 8 and then 9 and it stayed static. I think the biggest reason why Mc rejected me was the low VR score...

Each time I applied, I tried with better stats.... and when I finally reached VR 10, I said 'enough' to MCAT and stopped trying to improve my marks (I think reaching '10' landed me an interview at Queen's.) my writing section was 95% but it was no longer important in admission process, so....

The only reason why I wrote so many MCAT was to improve my VR score...

Last year (2 years out from MSc) I applied again...it was my 'last' shot... I also formulated back-up plan. My desire to play bigger part in healthcare led me to optometry... I've considered dentist, pharmacist and PT/OT but I seriously couldn't see myself in it for some reason.... also.. I wasn't sure if the schools would take me.

(Dental for sure no! because I wasn't motivated to write DAT at all and my GPA was too low to even have a shot, so I gave up early in the game).

I studied for OAT summer last year and got perfect in their VR, had interview with waterloo during winter time and then was accepted early this year.

Anyways, I was invited for 2 interviews this year, because I applied more broadly with English credit obtained during my years after MSc.

I've already been accepted to optometry so I was more 'relaxed'...

However, being in a waiting list at Queen's and having gone through the interview, I wanted to practice. Met up with similar minded people and participated in at least 8 different MMI practice sessions (my weekends leading to interview... I really enjoyed them actually to hear so many different perspective of certain problems and getting feedback! I absolutely recommend this practice, I think my perspective of this world matured little bit through other's feedback. ) but when the waiting list news came from both schools, I was depressed. Checking premed forum almost obsessively, I became more obsessed than I was on May 14/15.

Summary:

Applications to Cdn medical school, American medical school and Australian medical school.

5 application cycles.

6 MCATs.

3 WL.

1 Acceptance.

I cried when I saw e-mail from admission today and it was a such catharsis, my mom cried too...because you know I'm such a depressing person lol. just as another non-trad accepted person described him/herself.

I've kind of isolated myself from many people. Most of peers from my years are already graduating/graudated from dental, medical, pharm, law and I felt so ashamed going no where...and stuck wanting more and more...

However, I'm getting scared now... it took me this long and this many applications and MCATs to get in... will I be good enough? and also...maybe optometry might be better (gaining independence after 4 years of edu.)

Thanks for reading and I'm not sure if my story will inspire someone but just know there are people who are very persistent.

[...]

Summary:

5 application cycles.

6 MCATs.

3 WL.

1 Acceptance.

Congratulations inspi(red), you finally made it!!! :D I remember some of your earlier posts where you came across as being really depressed. Now you've got some cool & awesome things to look forward to!

Don't be scared; you've already proved to yourself and to us that you've got what it takes to succeed (i.e. lots of perseverance and a desire to work hard/strong work ethics). Never listen to the bad voice inside your head and doubt yourself or your abilities.

The med school's application game is really tough, especially on those of us who had to try several times before getting in (like you and me). Oof...we made it!

• 1 month later...

My story (from quebec and french sorry for bad english!) :

Failed cegep in computer science.

Failed cegep in human sciences.

Failed cegep in natural sciences.

Took a break from school and worked minimum salary for around 4 years.

Went to university and took equivalent classes in human science, 2.9/4.3 gpa.

Same university took equivalent classes in natural sciences, 4.0/4.3 gpa.

Same university took 1 semester of kinesiology program, 4.2/4.3 gpa.

Now accepted in physiotherapy and I am there to stay!

Its not like medecine but still for me ... it is more then enough and I am really happy all those failures weren't for nothing, I learned alot in the process and I don't regret all those years of smoking drinking party. They are things of the past, of MY past, and I have NO REGRETS!

Physiotherapy here I come!

My story (from quebec and french sorry for bad english!) :

Failed cegep in computer science.

Failed cegep in human sciences.

Failed cegep in natural sciences.

Took a break from school and worked minimum salary for around 4 years.

Went to university and took equivalent classes in human science, 2.9/4.3 gpa.

Same university took equivalent classes in natural sciences, 4.0/4.3 gpa.

Same university took 1 semester of kinesiology program, 4.2/4.3 gpa.

Now accepted in physiotherapy and I am there to stay!

Its not like medecine but still for me ... it is more then enough and I am really happy all those failures weren't for nothing, I learned alot in the process and I don't regret all those years of smoking drinking party. They are things of the past, of MY past, and I have NO REGRETS!

Physiotherapy here I come!

Congratulations!!!!!! :D

Thanks alot!

I was refused in chicoutimi, laval and sherbrook but university of montreal ( my former university) believed in me ! I think my university was considering mainly the grades from natural sciences and kinesiology for the physiotherapy admission.

I am really happy to be given a 2nd ,no... 3rd, no... 4th ? chance. I had to plan this out really well lol just ask the university's school academic adviser, she called me by my first name and considered me a regular at her office :)

• 2 months later...

Hi y'all,

I had crappy undergrad grades...like a 3.0 overall. I had a really rough first couple of years.

I went back to my hometown and worked hard. At one time I had three crappy jobs just to make ends meat.

I went back to a community college with small class sizes and lots of extra help. I retook physics, organic chem, inorganic chem and took biochem and physiology for the first time. My gpa pretty darn close to a 4.0 for that year. My gpa from my last two years of undergrad were stellar too.

My MCATs were a 33Q or 33R or something and pretty well balanced.

I was accepted on my very first try to a University of Queensland, University of Cork, none of the American schools and finally the University of Calgary. I went to the U of C of course! It was a really fantastic program and I excelled there.

Fast forward and now I'm a second year resident in a very competitive surgical program, which, I should mention was my top choice come CaRMS time. I'm doing really well and am even winning some awards.

Looking back, if I hadn't had to work hard to get into medicine I may have taken my once in a life time chance for granted. I love every minute.

Keep you heads up and know that anything's possible if you work for it!