Premed 101 Forums

Success Stories- Non Trad Style!

After going through all 16 pages of this thread, I feel much more inspired and ready to take on anything! Thank you so much for sharing your stories everyone! I'm just finishing up 3rd year with a not-so-great GPA and I thougth I'd completely lost my chance, but you have all given me hope that it's still very much possible. Best of luck to you all!

Just wanted to add my two cents for those from non-traditional backgrounds trying to get into medical school.

I completed an undergraduate in engineering, with 0 life science courses. Engineering is hard - I did well in my class but my marks were in the low 80s. I took a year off to play, worked for a couple of years, and then realized I wanted to go to medical school. Worked full time, completed all the prereqs necessary in the evenings and on weekends. Applied once and got an interview. Applied twice and go interviewed and waitlisted. Applied a third time and got 3 interviews at 3 schools, and got into all three. Most challenging three years of my life - but if you really want it and are willing to be patient and work your #$@@ off, it is possible to get there.

Good Luck.

Just wanted to add my two cents for those from non-traditional backgrounds trying to get into medical school.

I completed an undergraduate in engineering, with 0 life science courses. Engineering is hard - I did well in my class but my marks were in the low 80s. I took a year off to play, worked for a couple of years, and then realized I wanted to go to medical school. Worked full time, completed all the prereqs necessary in the evenings and on weekends. Applied once and got an interview. Applied twice and go interviewed and waitlisted. Applied a third time and got 3 interviews at 3 schools, and got into all three. Most challenging three years of my life - but if you really want it and are willing to be patient and work your #$@@ off, it is possible to get there.

Good Luck.

Just applied my first year with zero prereqs and a crap MCAT score, but amazing GPA. Re-writing MCAT in July. Alot of schools in Ontario don't have prereqs anymore. Anyone do an undergrad in Nursing and was able to receive acceptance??

Having conquered your demons and dealt with life, you are on the incredible road to success as a self-made person, and I wish you every happiness that you have earned colleague. :P No doubt, your grandmother of beloved memory is looking down with pride, smiling. :) You and your persistence are an example for others. And you have a wonderful soulmate!

About my family: I came from a really emotionally-distant/very angry/ridiculously judgemental and perfectionist family. My parents were always fighting and really looking back and analyzing everything, I see how their parenting/arguing style has really messed me up. My biggest hurdle to getting into medical school was MYSELF. I found myself to be very defeatest and self-sabotaging. I also had a lot of pent up anger inside. I feel this process really makes you self-analyze yourself (at least it did for me, i.e. studying for the MCAT was tough as all that time to myself made me rehash things that went on in my life). I'm not close with my family and the best thing that I ever did was move out of my parents' house when I was 17 and never looked back. I talk to them a few times a month on the phone and maybe see them every 5 months. I keep my distance from them because they are not a positive force in my life. I've had to do everything myself, on my own, for so long now. They weren't there for me when I needed them. I feel like in that sense, I'm a lot more mature/stronger than other people I know.

I can relate a lot to this grewing up with a parent who was mentally abusive towards me and picking up all those habits because you don't realize at the time that it's wrong and when you do figure it out you can't simply change because it's now so entrenched in you.

I say a heartfelt congrats to ypumfor overcoming your demons (with help) and for being on a positive path.

Good luck :)

Having conquered your demons and dealt with life, you are on the incredible road to success as a self-made person, and I wish you every happiness that you have earned colleague. :P No doubt, your grandmother of beloved memory is looking down with pride, smiling. :) You and your persistence are an example for others. And you have a wonderful soulmate!

Thank you so much f_d :-) this comment means a lot to me :-) I wish my grandmother could have seen me get in...she would have been SO proud. I almost dreaded telling my parents...i wasn't excited to share good news with them because I didn't want them thinking it was due to any part of their "support"

I can relate a lot to this grewing up with a parent who was mentally abusive towards me and picking up all those habits because you don't realize at the time that it's wrong and when you do figure it out you can't simply change because it's now so entrenched in you.

I say a heartfelt congrats to ypumfor overcoming your demons (with help) and for being on a positive path.

Good luck :)

Yes aaron, that was the crux of the problem for me, that it was really hard for me to change my bad habits i.e. quick temper, yelling during arguments, etc. I thought that behaviour was NORMAL because that's all I knew! But I've been very committed to changing myself and am a 100% better person for engaging in so much introspection and self reflection. I've read a lot about how to change ingrained bad behaviour and what was exciting is that I found that it is possible (and I am proof). It takes a lot of mental strength to do this though but I am the person I want to be now, not a reflection of my parents.

If there is a heaven, your grandmother knows. :) And even more importantly, your grandmother, the source of your strength and courage, continues to live on through you for as long as you live! In my case, the treasured memories of a courgeous woman of valour who died too early is my inspiration and motivation to want to extend the lives and quality of life of others, and she shall remain in my heart forever.

Good Luck.

Your story is amazing! Congrats!

I was reading in some other posts that reapplying is frowned upon by schools? I guess not...

That's such an inspiring story lost__in__space! I'm really glad you were able to get back on your feet and follow your dream. I was/still am in a similar situation with the depression aspect due to the death of my grandmother as well and a similar social situation, so it's really inspiring to see that it's not a dead end and it can work out in the end!

• 2 weeks later...

I have waited for the past two years to be able to write this post under this thread and I'm so happy to be able to share my story with all you fellow dreamers out there!

I've wanted to be a doctor since the age of three when I first got my Fisher Price doctor's kit. From that point on, any other career would never measure up. While in high school I did co-op placements in the radiology department and with the nursing staff to learn about the healthcare system and decide whether it was the right place for me.

I applied to nursing school as a stepping stone to med school; knowing very well the hardships many had experienced trying to get into medical school and the small chance I'd have to be able to get in. I thought nursing sounded like the most optimal career for me if I couldn't be a doctor.

I discovered when I got to nursing school that I wasn't as great of a student as I thought that I was in high school. I struggled throughout my education with school work, but my intelligence and motivation to be a physician always was enough to get me through with good grades...until university. My first two years of university, my grades were no longer what they used to be and I was what I had never been before: an average student. It took me two years to figure out where I was struggling and be able to admit I couldn't improve on my own. I sought assistance through any outlet I could find, and was able to pull my grades up for the last two years of my degree, but as many of us know, the damage was done. I applied to medical school gripping at the statistics I had read about of the 1 or 2 candidates that managed to be accepted to med schools with a GPA of 3.2 and hoped just maybe, I could be one of those people. I managed to be reserve waitlisted at NOSM, but knew that I couldn't have a chance of succeeding without doing something differently.

I met with the admissions department at NOSM the same day I wrote my nursing certification exam, where I was told after showing my transcript and discussing my situation, that I was likely unsuccessful because of my grades. NOSM's policy on second degrees is that they will take the GPA of the best degree. They told me of a new program they were just about to begin for a Physician Assistant degree partnered with the University of Toronto and the Michener Institute. It would allow me to gain an undergraduate degree to replace my nursing science degree's grades. After some thought, I realized the profession of Physician Assistant would allow me to do almost everything that I wished I had been doing as a physician while working as a nurse and thought to myself, why not give it one last, determined try. I applied to the program and was accepted.

In the first month of my PA degree my troubles with learning resurfaced because the program was much more fast-paced and intense than my nursing degree. I was referred to Accessibility Services at the University of Toronto and the next thing I knew, my life was forever changed. I was diagnosed with a learning disability and ADHD and began the process of learning about how I learn and received the accommodations I always needed to be capable of succeeding. I was also referred for psychological therapy and to a psychiatrist for medication. In the next year, I learned things about myself I would have never taken the time to learn. I began treatment for an anxiety disorder and depression, which I developed subsequent to years of bullying and struggling with learning in school, as well as the years of frustration I had experienced from knowing what I was fully capable of accomplishing, but being unable to prove it. Over that first year of my degree, I improved my grades considerably and my last year of university, I am proud to say, I completed with a 4.0 GPA, which is what I knew I was capable of achieving.

I applied to medical school one more time hoping that my lived experience, new medical knowledge and improved grades would make me an ideal candidate. Yesterday, I became a member of the class of 2016 at the Northern Ontario School of Medicine and will graduate with from Lakehead University four years from now.

My success did not come without years of struggle, regret and frustration, but it did come! Whenever I was having a rough day and felt defeated and that my dream was not possible, I turned to this forum and read the stories of others who were like me, non-traditional applicants, who succeeded. My hope is that this story is able to help some of you like the ones before me helped me :)

I made it!!! After years of effort!! I am here now!!! I came to Canada when I was 16, I joined my parents who were living here for about 10 years before I joined them. I started highschool with the aspiration to be a doctor - but was stumbling along blindly as I was the only one in my family to pursue post secondary studies. I made it to university and then lost my way. second year was a bust, I had a horrible GPA and that ruined my med dreams even after a winning third year and mediocre fourth year. I applied after my undergrad in 2006 and of course was rejected. I didnt know what to do with myself with a honors bio/biochem degree so I decided to do my Masters - as I was told this would help. In my situation with my poor GPA - it didnt. Long story short, I finished my masters and applied again only to be rejected. I re-evaluated myself and the reasons why I thought I was being rejected. Automatically it was pretty clear it was my GPA. By that time I had gotten married and had my daughter. I decided to go back and do a third degree - a two year accelerated degree to bump up my GPA. I did it - I had a two year GPA of 3.98. I decided to apply again. At that time, I also found a great back up career in public health - as a public health inspector. So I was applying to medical school (U of T, U of O, and Mac) and also preparing for the certification exam as a public health inspector. I was under such severe stress that I got the shingles lol! I was rejected at U of O and Mac. I became employed as a certified public health inspector two days after which I interviewed at UT. I just got accepted into UT!!! It's only the one that counts! I made it! I am shocked! I am grateful! And now onto the next!

Your stories on here have always inspired me to push myself and keep on persevering. Thank you NonTrads for inspiring and motivating me! I am 28 and will be embarking on my new career and my fourth degree!! Eep!

I made it!!! After years of effort!! I am here now!!! I came to Canada when I was 16, I joined my parents who were living here for about 10 years before I joined them. I started highschool with the aspiration to be a doctor - but was stumbling along blindly as I was the only one in my family to pursue post secondary studies. I made it to university and then lost my way. second year was a bust, I had a horrible GPA and that ruined my med dreams even after a winning third year and mediocre fourth year. I applied after my undergrad in 2006 and of course was rejected. I didnt know what to do with myself with a honors bio/biochem degree so I decided to do my Masters - as I was told this would help. In my situation with my poor GPA - it didnt. Long story short, I finished my masters and applied again only to be rejected. I re-evaluated myself and the reasons why I thought I was being rejected. Automatically it was pretty clear it was my GPA. By that time I had gotten married and had my daughter. I decided to go back and do a third degree - a two year accelerated degree to bump up my GPA. I did it - I had a two year GPA of 3.98. I decided to apply again. At that time, I also found a great back up career in public health - as a public health inspector. So I was applying to medical school (U of T, U of O, and Mac) and also preparing for the certification exam as a public health inspector. I was under such severe stress that I got the shingles lol! I was rejected at U of O and Mac. I became employed as a certified public health inspector two days after which I interviewed at UT. I just got accepted into UT!!! It's only the one that counts! I made it! I am shocked! I am grateful! And now onto the next!

Your stories on here have always inspired me to push myself and keep on persevering. Thank you NonTrads for inspiring and motivating me! I am 28 and will be embarking on my new career and my fourth degree!! Eep!

So happy to hear your journey. Congrats :)

Perseverance is key

Thank you :) In times like this I really realize that the only limit was me

You would be surprised on how many students just give up. Either go off shore to study and forking thousands of dollars that they don't have and settling for less or simply changing careers and admitting M.D. is not for them.

Anyways, all the best with your new chapter.

You would be surprised on how many students just give up. Either go off shore to study and forking thousands of dollars that they don't have and settling for less or simply changing careers and admitting M.D. is not for them.

Anyways, all the best with your new chapter.

I don't see myself being able to apply more than 3 times (4 if I apply before the last year of my degree).

Hi Non-Trads!

I just wanted to say that this forum and all the stories and questions posted here have been so helpful for me in this journey.

I dont have a particularly moving journey to share here, but I do know that like many people here every day has been a struggle- and we have faced a lot of adversity. I have had classmates and profs who havent been so happy about my decisions and for the most part I have had to keep this whole process a secret- but it feels so good to finally know I can do it- and it really made me look inside for the reasons to keep going and I know I have made the right decision!

It is possible to do anything with your life.

Just keep pushing, and when life pushes back- find the strength you keep inside and the people who will help you recover, help hold you up and stand behind you while you work towards your dreams.

XOXOXXOXOXOX

RN-MD