Premed 101 Forums

American Applications 2010 General Discussion

Hey Guys,

Since the applications became available a few days ago, I thought we might as well make a thread for all applicants to chat. I decided a few days ago that I would apply to the US, even though I'm not exactly keen on any US school at the moment. Any other applicants this cycle? Where are you all applying? Let's share tips, strategies, and info on the schools here.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody know if you have a transfer credit (I took a course at athabasca it was transferred to my Western transcript), which grade do I enter (the A- or the 82 that Western converted it into)?

Edit: NVM, found it out, I put the AU mark.

I don;t know about that. But speaking about credits. Do i put the numerical value of the grade or A to F grade? or do i input both. plus when do they tell you your gpa?

If I remember correctly, you put in the numerical grade so that AMCAS can convert to their letter scale (check the "help" button at the top, it usually explains things in that specific section). They tell you your GPA a few days after you submit your application.

Just wondering how you guys are picking schools to apply to. I have MSAR from last year, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. There are so many friggin schools!!! lol... too bad we don't have it so good in Canada.

I recently got US permanent residence status, so I'm really optimistic about my chances. I don't want to go to a crappy school though, what kinds of things can you look for to make sure the school is a good one? Any tips/suggestions?

I had that problem because my undergrad and graduate schools were the same. When I changed it to add another college it allowed me to put 2011.

As for schools, I am still waiting for my MCAT score before picking and choosing schools. When do you get yours back? Knowing the score really saves you a lot of money.

I get mine back on May 25th, what about you?

Just wondering how you guys are picking schools to apply to. I have MSAR from last year, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. There are so many friggin schools!!! lol... too bad we don't have it so good in Canada.

I recently got US permanent residence status, so I'm really optimistic about my chances. I don't want to go to a crappy school though, what kinds of things can you look for to make sure the school is a good one? Any tips/suggestions?

I applied broadly to upper tier and mid tier schools. I think you'd be safe if you did that. I applied to 10 schools but for US schools thats not even considered that much for Canadians.

I applied broadly to upper tier and mid tier schools. I think you'd be safe if you did that. I applied to 10 schools but for US schools thats not even considered that much for Canadians.

Yeah, if I apply to US schools I'll apply to quite a few. Do you know where I can find out which school looks @ most recent mcat, average mcat score, or best mcat score?

I went with a good mix of mostly lower-tiers with a few reaches. I actually wish I had thrown in more top-20 reach schools. If you have US permanent residence status I think you are eligible for some nice top-20s like Michigan and Pitt.

But ya, if you have the $$ and the time, I wouldn't skimp on the number of schools you apply to. 20+ is manageable if you don't have an intense job during secondary writing time in July/Aug.

I went with a good mix of mostly lower-tiers with a few reaches. I actually wish I had thrown in more top-20 reach schools. If you have US permanent residence status I think you are eligible for some nice top-20s like Michigan and Pitt.

But ya, if you have the $$ and the time, I wouldn't skimp on the number of schools you apply to. 20+ is manageable if you don't have an intense job during secondary writing time in July/Aug.

I am full time in the final year of my masters. But as with anything, I will make the time for it. :D God I love how much I torture myself.

Doesn't almost every school look at most recent MCAT?

I believe so, but I wasn't entirely sure. :)

How did u get permanent residence status? Do you live in the states or Canada?

Woah. That's a loooong time! I guess it would take even longer for someone who's applying now though.

It really depends. Mine could have been ready like 5 years ago, but my dad was really busy and not pursuing it and we had a crappy lawyer. Finally in my 4th year, we started to try to reopen our file, got a new lawyer to help organize it, and everything started moving along according to plan. I think it usually takes about 15 years or so to get processed. Anyway, I'm glad that I have this option now, certainly makes things a lot easier and it is nice not having to worry about visa issues.

Do US schools take the best MCAT marks or the latest MCAT marks, I am thinking about applying to Rosalind Franklin, but I can not find the info on their websites... Thanks!

and if I wish to apply this year, is my 2007 MCAT still eligible? some schools mention about the MCAT needs to be within 3 years of matrication.

On the main menu where Status is, click on Details.

Thank you Keith, mine just got sent out last week.

Does anybody know how long it takes them to acknowledge that they've been received? I need to read more about the primary essay, ahh, so much to do.

Archived